Strategy Trade and List .Management thread 5 (...the post coitus cigarette. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I guess you have to back Bevo in and although its one of the riskiest moves in the business, you hope that the Doggies albeit are OK with the possibility of trading Jake, are treating this as a wake up call. The do hold all the cards remember as Jake is contracted. Jake did not seem disgruntled but seemed like a young boy looking for help and direction. He has been told that the club is prepared to trade him, but only on the clubs terms. I'm backing the club in and I think Jake will remain a bulldog for 2018 and beyond.

I do not like how his manager handles himself and I feel he is almost treating him like a peice of meat shopping him around, rather than trying to repair the relationship - I do believe that is is repairable.

I guess you have to back Bevo in and although its one of the riskiest moves in the business, you hope that the Doggies albeit are OK with the possibility of trading Jake, are treating this as a wake up call. The do hold all the cards remember as Jake is contracted. Jake did not seem disgruntled but seemed like a young boy looking for help and direction. He has been told that the club is prepared to trade him, but only on the clubs terms. I'm backing the club in and I think Jake will remain a bulldog for 2018 and beyond.

I do not like how his manager handles himself and I feel he is almost treating him like a peice of meat shopping him around, rather than trying to repair the relationship - I do believe that is is repairable.

Do (and this is a general question to those in the know) managers get additional payments during moves like this ?? Is there an additional payment for negotiation with another club or during re-negotiations ??

And I'd be interested in knowing how long ago Connors became aware of the difficulties and conversations we were having with Stringer and to what level of detail. Surely at least 12 months (since he was dropped to the VFL in 2016).

Would he have just relied on Jake to tell him or would he have had a discussion with the club too?
That's a very good point. You would think his manager would have to know something about what has been going on, and for how long. He hasn't hit back at the club in high dudgeon about how his client is being treated but seems quite accepting, as well as prepared. This hasn't come as a shock to Connors. Jake maybe has been in denial.

Exactly.
  • Trengove, Lever & Morris/Adams/Cordy as first choice tall defenders.
  • Adams/Cordy possibly splitting time as defender/forward, as needed.
  • Young and Collins developing in the VFL and playing when required.
  • Roberts as a break glass in case of emergency option.
That would be a whole lot better than having Cordy, Young and whichever of Morris & Adams wasn't injured holding the fort every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't expect many coaching changes this off season
Likely only adding part time coaches and more vfl staff
Well, that's just s**t. Someone said recently we were going to be making coaching changes, maybe Pugz89?

Worse thing we did was sign Gia up as coach. Gia needs to get out of the Bulldogs and coach somewhere else and experience something that isn't the Bulldogs.

If I was a Hawks supporter I wouldn't want Hodge there next year. Let him go away, learn at one or two other clubs then maybe if a job opens up grab him.

It's good to see how the other half live.

Can we at least go back to last years setup ??
Who knows
But I believe Paul Groves will have more involvement with the vfl players and part time at the club when the AFLW season is on

This off season will be a case of 1 step back 2 steps forward. Beveridge is a winner, he believes he can win with whatever cards he has been dealt. 2017 was a disaster for him, and he would look into his boys eyes every day and know whether they are going to take us forward or not. Have a look at his body language and tone when speaking about Stringer after the Port game in the presser, its telling.

Don't expect many coaching changes this off season
Likely only adding part time coaches and more vfl staff
Wait. I was told in the media there was going to be carnage at VUWO, both players and staff.

You mean it was fake news? Well, I'll be hornswoggled. I just don't know who to believe now.

Who knows
But I believe Paul Groves will have more involvement with the vfl players and part time at the club when the AFLW season is on
I am all for professional development, have rotated team members through positions for a number of years, but you want to minimise disruptions to key areas.

If coach X wants midfield responsibilities, great - but go as assistant mid first. In 2 years you can get a senior gig....

What would GC want?

If I were them, it would be a player.
GCS's problem has been attracting and keeping quality players. They don't need more high draft picks. They need some well-performed players who want to play out their career there.

That's a tough ask. If any side gets a COLA or hardship allowance it should be them (and only them). They may need to pay over market value to get and retain the players they need.

That's a tough ask. If any side gets a COLA or hardship allowance it should be them (and only them). They may need to pay over market value to get and retain the players they need.
Tom Lynch looks set to become an "AFL Ambassador". He could well become the first $2m pa player in AFL history if you include AFL payments and marketing allowance.

Tom Lynch looks set to become an "AFL Ambassador". He could well become the first $2m pa player in AFL history if you include AFL payments and marketing allowance.
QED. The implication is he'd almost certainly be headed somewhere south without the bonus role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back