Strategy Trade and List .Management thread 5 (...the post coitus cigarette. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bevo is my premiership coach, I haven't had a run-in with him or anything like. He's going to take the club forward, I wish him nothing but success, I hope they can get back to where they were last year.

Had exit meeting with Ash Hansen, Chris Maple, Bevo, was confident walking out of there that I knew where I stood, mostly talked about family and things like that.

There wasn't a second meeting, his agents received a phone call from the club about a week or two later.

Connors: The club did the right thing, letting him know in advance. Don't know if the club wanted it to go public. Need public to see that he's taking responsibility for his actions. There's no right or wrong, the club hasn't done anything wrong. Think it's going as well as it can be.

Haven't spoken to Bev, have spoken with McCatney and gone through it. I didn't think I'd be traded. All the boys are happy and on holidays. We all enjoyed the premiership, but came back ready to go.

Asked if there is a ratpack at the Bulldogs: I don't know, all my best mates, those boys will bounce back, Libba, Dahl, they'll take the club forward in the next few years and take the club back to where they should be.

I don't blame anyone but myself.

What would he have liked to say to Bev, face to face: It's past that point now. I've dealt with Jason, spoken with Jason, I'm comfortable with things now.

Connors: we're comfortable with how the Dogs have handled it. No strained relationship with Bevo and Jake. They'll talk when they need to. If trade doesn't go through, he's contracted just like Gazza.

Bolded indicates a bit of distance already.

Bolded indicates a bit of distance already.
Yes Norm, I noticed several clues from Jake that he has accepted that he is highly unlikely to be at the Bulldogs next season.

He'll if we can move stringer for a first rounder and get lever I will be happy

In: Trengove, Lever, Crozier
An effective swap of Stringer for Lever I could live with - that would all be Jake;).
But not Stringer + #9 for Lever.

That said, I'd still prefer to keep a re-committed and maturing Stringer.

SA types are pushing the Lever to Dogs, Gibbs to Crows and Stringer to Carlton with a pick swap bonanza in the background.

Edit: Would prefer to keep Jake if we are getting Trengove.

An effective swap of Stringer for Lever I could live with - that would all be Jake;).
But not Stringer + #9 for Lever.

That said, I'd still prefer to keep a re-committed and maturing Stringer.
I wonder if a first round pick (the one we get for Stringer) and a swap of our pick 9 with pick 18 (or whatever Adelaide end up with) would get a Lever deal done?

Last edited:
Predictably, the AFL media loses the plot when a club breaks new ground.

As a fan of the round ball game and baseball, Francis Leach should be able to recognise the similarities between what is happening with Stringer and the decisions EPL and MLB clubs make season in, season out.

Players who don't fit the system or the culture get moved on rather ceremoniously in any trading period and that is clearly what is happening with Stringer.

I'm not entirely comfortable with it, just as I am still not entirely comfortable with free agency but if players want the latter then the AFL media are just going to have to accept the former as well.

Why would we get both Trengove and Lever. Then both Adams and Cordy would have to move forward. Doesn't make a great deal of sense, especially when one of them would have to move back again after Morris retires.

I don't like the look of this trade period at all. Best case scenario is that this is an elaborate ploy to kick Stringer up the arse and we have little movement in our list.

Worse case scenario and this could all go south. Real south. And once again we endure another poor offseason. We haven't had many good trading periods ever.

Not that it has the ability to completely sink the ship thanks to Dal being a gun drafter but for once I'd like to come out as a club who got the best deals.

I wonder if a first round pick (the one we get for Stringer) and a swap of our pick 10 with pick 18 (or whatever Adelaide end up with) would get a Lever deal done?
Are we down to pick #10 already?

Wouldn't be keen but if the draft is as shallow as people keep saying (I'm sceptical) maybe it would be OK.

I'd still prefer an established classy midfielder if we have a war chest to spend.

Don't mess with The Drink.

God I love that man.

A couple of questions Fronk:

Q1. How did you rate Connors today?

Q2. If you were Stringer's manager how would you have handled all this as it unfolded i.e. the reality of all this goes back at least 9 months. Would you have helped your client months ago? Spoken with the club earlier?

My concern is that somehow all this seems to have as a surprise to Stringer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA types are pushing the Lever to Dogs, Gibbs to Crows and Stringer to Carlton with a pick swap bonanza in the background.

A few other whispers include the trio of Charlie Cameron,
Tom Rockliff and Bryce Gibbs with Jake Lever a seperate
issue, but in time or weeks the puzzle will not be a
puzzle anymore.

Are we down to pick #10 already?

Wouldn't be keen but if the draft is as shallow as people keep saying (I'm sceptical) maybe it would be OK.

I'd still prefer an established classy midfielder if we have a war chest to spend.
You are quite correct DW - pick 9 at present but I'm a pessimist - the AFL always seem to find a way to screw us with a compensation pick to a lower team or something to push us further down the order. :( I've fixed up my post and changed it to pick 9.

Suddenly our back half looks solid if it did eventuate...can't see us getting both Lever and Trengove though - but who knows atm!

B: Wood Trengove Biggs
HB: JJ Adams Lever

Cordy - probably moves forward

Roberts/Williams/Morris/Collins/Young depth.

A couple of questions Fronk:

Q1. How did you rate Connors today?

Q2. If you were Stringer's manager how would you have handled all this as it unfolded i.e. the reality of all this goes back at least 9 months. Would you have helped your client months ago? Spoken with the club earlier?

My concern is that somehow all this seems to have as a surprise to Stringer.
And I'd be interested in knowing how long ago Connors became aware of the difficulties and conversations we were having with Stringer and to what level of detail. Surely at least 12 months (since he was dropped to the VFL in 2016).

Would he have just relied on Jake to tell him or would he have had a discussion with the club too?

That whole thing was just bizarre, especially with known Bulldogs hater Meat Log Barrett and the list manager of the team favoured to snag him on the panel too. I don't think we can take much from Jake's responses and use of language, I don't think he is smart enough to know to use past/present tense words, he was just nervous as all hell. Whatever the resolution is I can't wait until we know one way or another whether he is gone or not, unfortunately I think it'll be like O'Meara and get dragged out until the last second.

Also pathetic questioning by the panel of Pickering, how they let him get away with trodding out the old 'of course Ablett can play for the Suns, he is contracted still' line was unforgiveable. The whole thing was bizarre really, promoting the trade period, constantly mentioning that NAB 'owns' the trade period. So backwards still compared to American sports.

It appears jake is yet to fully accept the club decision and I agree with others that he would welcome a change of heart from the club.

What is going to be the catalyst for the club to change it stance on Jake? I sure they have seen a similar reaction (contrite, emotional) from Jake either with the news he is up for trade or during discussion likely held in the past 18 months, so today's performance is unlikely to be enough.

Will a player driven request for justification from the club help? a player of Jake's quality leaving has a considerable impact on the clubs and their future success. Would the club already communicated to the players a generalised reason? Does Bob and Boyd departing, leave the player leadership a little low on resources at the moment? who out the remaining club leaders is in town?

Apparently Connors mentioned us getting Hodge as an assistant? Think I turned trade radio off too early.

Apparently Connors mentioned us getting Hodge as an assistant? Think I turned trade radio off too early.

He didn't specifically mention us, just that Hodge may look at a coaching role somewhere next year, but even that he wasn't particularly clear on.

Why would we get both Trengove and Lever. Then both Adams and Cordy would have to move forward. Doesn't make a great deal of sense, especially when one of them would have to move back again after Morris retires.

I don't like the look of this trade period at all. Best case scenario is that this is an elaborate ploy to kick Stringer up the arse and we have little movement in our list.

Worse case scenario and this could all go south. Real south. And once again we endure another poor offseason. We haven't had many good trading periods ever.

Not that it has the ability to completely sink the ship thanks to Dal being a gun drafter but for once I'd like to come out as a club who got the best deals.
Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back