Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can’t understand how you let 26 year old best 22 players leave and continue to resign the same depth players year in year out.

Bringing in Lloyd and resigning Dickson makes absolutely zero sense from a list perspective.

So far I fail to see where Power is taking us. Let’s hope it clears in the next couple weekz
It’s going to be great seeing younger quicker and more skilful players like McLean, Lynch, Daniel and Richards step up and not just fill the void of Luke but actually surpass his output over the next 4-5 years.

It’s going to be great seeing younger quicker and more skilful players like McLean, Lynch, Daniel and Richards step up and not just fill the void of Luke but actually surpass his output over the next 4-5 years.

Would have been better seeing Dahl playing at his best next to those guys for 4-5 years.

If Dahl is our worst player we are ok. Oh well we have the 15th year in a row depth that will suddenly click to take his spot so that will help.

I just can’t understand how you let 26 year old best 22 players leave and continue to resign the same depth players year in year out.

Bringing in Lloyd and resigning Dickson makes absolutely zero sense from a list perspective.

So far I fail to see where Power is taking us. Let’s hope it clears in the next couple weekz

Well if you want to feel better, Honey and Campbell are no guarantee to stay. Whether they stay or go depends on who we bring in and the trade period. Fair to say he is on the chopping block/verge of being moved on.

Well if you want to feel better, Honey and Campbell are no guarantee to stay. Whether they stay or go depends on who we bring in and the trade period. Fair to say he is on the chopping block/verge of being moved on.

As I’ve said I really don’t care what they do with those two.

I have next to zero hope of improvement in the next couple years due to the reason I’ve put forward 100 times.

Keep the spuds it shows exactly where our list is at imo

Would have been better seeing Dahl playing at his best next to those guys for 4-5 years.

If Dahl is our worst player we are ok. Oh well we have the 15th year in a row depth that will suddenly click to take his spot so that will help.
If we get Wingard will that soothe you to an extent ?

Last edited:
Just on Wingard, if we give up pick 7 this year, does it almost rule us out of Kelly next year? Given he is worth two first round picks, we won't be able to use the 2020 first round pick? We are not Geelong, so the AFL won't do us any favours. Will have to somehow get another first round pick in next year, or package in a solid player. Not sure if having two first round picks last year will meet the AFL's criteria of X amount of first round picks must be used in X amount of years period? May have to trade up and use a late one this year so we can give up 2020's first round pick.

If we get Wingard will that smooth you to an extent ?

Smooth me?

Imo we have one year more going backwards then we can start to climb.

Wingard won’t change that path but I’d love to make a statement signing for once

Just on Wingard, if we give up pick 7 this year, does it almost rule us out of Kelly next year? Given he is worth two first round picks, we won't be able to use the 2020 first round pick? We are not Geelong, so the AFL won't do us any favours. Will have to somehow get another first round pick in next year, this year, or package in a solid player. Not sure if having two first round picks last year will meet the AFL's criteria of X amount of first round picks must be used in X amount of years period?

Picks would be fine.

But the cap space would prevent us getting Kelly. Don’t see how we could get 900k a season Wingard and 1.2m a season Kelly.

Smooth me?

Imo we have one year more going backwards then we can start to climb.

Wingard won’t change that path but I’d love to make a statement signing for once
Soothe.

Changed it. Must have been spellcheck

Picks would be fine.

But the cap space would prevent us getting Kelly. Don’t see how we could get 900k a season Wingard and 1.2m a season Kelly.

Richmond have 1.2 mill Martin
900k Lynch
850k Rance
700 Riewoldt
700 Cotchin

How can’t we fit them in coz who are we paying????

No he is not, they are very different players.

Maybe not in terms of wage but trade value easily. Macrae is younger, better, is on a much better trajectory and has 4 years to run on his contract. Wingard is susceptible to fluctuations in form, will be a free agent in 12 months time and his club is open to trading.

Richmond have 1.2 mill Martin
900k Lynch
850k Rance
700 Riewoldt
700 Cotchin

How can’t we fit them in coz who are we paying????

We have a fair of room in our cap now, Boyd's contract coming to an end, a few more senior players still to retire, cap spaces increasing every couple of years is a plus side, can backload contracts, that's the plus side that may make it still possible. Like you said, who are we even paying? if we were close to the cap its horrible list management

The downsides are, we still have to give Bontempelli a new and improved contract, Wingards deal would be the new Boyd deal, a few players are coming out of contract this year, and our list has a lot of young players on short deals, and any young players deal or two after their rookie contract mostly tend to go up regardless of their performance. Performance determines how much more they do up. So may not end up being as spacious as we think.

If Gaff stays at West Coast, we have zero chances of getting Kelly in a bidding war anyways. North will give up the entirety of their so called war chest up for him.

Guess we can only wait for the offseason circus a year from now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a fair of room in our cap now, Boyd's contract coming to an end, a few more senior players still to retire, cap spaces increasing every couple of years is a plus side, can backload contracts, that's the plus side that may make it still possible. Like you said, who are we even paying? if we were close to the cap its horrible list management

The downsides are, we still have to give Bontempelli a new and improved contract, Wingards deal would be the new Boyd deal, a few players are coming out of contract this year, and our list has a lot of young players on short deals, and any young players deal or two after their rookie contract mostly tend to go up regardless of their performance. Performance determines how much more they do up. So may not end up being as spacious as we think.

If Gaff stays at West Coast, we have zero chances of getting Kelly in a bidding war anyways. North will give up the entirety of their so called war chest up for him.

Guess we can only wait for the offseason circus a year from now.

Let’s imagine for a second we are after Kelly as it’s suggested strongly

We must have some idea that we are at least a chance to allow that to dictate 2 years of draft and trade. To spend two years of planning and then not get the target would be a monumental balls up

Just on Wingard, if we give up pick 7 this year, does it almost rule us out of Kelly next year? Given he is worth two first round picks, we won't be able to use the 2020 first round pick? We are not Geelong, so the AFL won't do us any favours. Will have to somehow get another first round pick in next year, or package in a solid player. Not sure if having two first round picks last year will meet the AFL's criteria of X amount of first round picks must be used in X amount of years period? May have to trade up and use a late one this year so we can give up 2020's first round pick.
If west gets a first round bid then that would count for this year. If not we might have to trade in to a second rounder next year. I'm sure we'd figure it out if we're had the opportunity.

Undoubtedly Wingard is a very talented player and would be a valuable acquisition for us but I'm not sure that he has given himself a justifiable reason for leaving Port. Frankly, I'm not fussed whether he comes or stays because I think we will be rewarded with a very good player if we take pick 7 to the draft.

Pretty sure you can go outside that if you get AFL permission. Given how young our list is I can't see why it'd be refused.

Just finished watching the first final of 2016 against West Coast. Dahlhaus best on ground, channel 7 team awarding him player of the game. Was a beast that game, so many pressure acts and tackling was insane. Kicked a couple of goals, but really set the tone for that midfield group.

That win gave us the momentum to win the whole bloody thing. Lukey had such a big hand in that. Thanks mate.

Wingard won't be coming to us to be stuck in the forward line. He will get Dahl's midefield minutes and more then the rest forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back