Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still of the belief that the price we'd have to pay for Kelly isn't justified, considering midfielders are the very last position we should be recruiting for. It would be great to add an elite player to the list, but that still does little to help the fact that our forwards can't convert and our Key Defender depth is getting thinner.
We got Libba back and just took Bailey Smith who we in love with for most of last year.
We then get a free kick with West being a clone of his old man, and signed Hayes as mature mid depth with Caverra and Lloyd both able to run through the middle for chop outs too.

Given our age profile we're not losing anyone in a hurry so I actually think we've helped to address our need for running types. I prefer we draft for needs and for mine it's class and goal sense forward of the ball. Kelly is an A grader but I agree, his cost would be astronomical.

No thanks on Kelly. We have a stacked enough midfield as it is. You can't have too much salary tied up in your mids. Our need now is a quality tall forward to partner with Shache.
I would have been okay with grabbing Steven May to cover for the losses of Marcus Adams, Jordan Roughead and effectively Fletcher Roberts. Then we could have looked at giving one of Aaron Naughton, Zaine Corey or Lewis Young a run at KPF. But I guess there's no point in wondering what could have been

At what stage in his career do you think he’ll learn to mark the footy?

As a fwd/ruck or ruck/fwd Tom is our Mitch Marsh. An allrounder not much good at anything now and who was only ever good rarely at AFL level.

As a fwd he can't mark or beat his opponent. And leads just about the worst fwd line in the league.

As a ruck he rarely marks or wins a tapout or beats his opponent. And leads one of the worst ruck divisions in the league.

If due to a variety of reasons Tom can't generate and sustain elite AFL level performance then I hope the club thanks him for the grand final and moves him on sooner rather than later. Currently Tom is just a financial millstone dragging the club down and who knows the impact Tom's highly paid non performances have on club morale and future player contract negotiations.

The recent Boyd retirement rumour on the injuries board was bitter sweet if true. Still so young and so much potential unrealised at such a cost but such relief that his contract would be gone, but how sweet was the 16 GF when Tom miraculously transformed into Norm for a couple of hours...but you can't manage a list based on a game a couple of years back.

Last edited:
M/Marsh never performs at critical times though. He plays well if and only if he’s about to be dropped after a dismal run of s**t, same as his brother.

To be fair they're both completely different sports and cricket is much harder mentally especially when out of form.

Footy you can have a dirty first half, at least you have the second to redeem.

M/Marsh never performs at critical times though. He plays well if and only if he’s about to be dropped after a dismal run of s**t, same as his brother.

Ah but isnt nearly being dropped a critical.time.for.mitch?:cool:

At AFL level I'd equate Mitch's batting with Tom's ruck work. Mainly ordinary but the odd nugget of gold. While its best not to speak of Tom's fwd work or Mitch's bowling....other than to.say Mitch's captain preferred not to bowl him while Toms coach prefers not to play him up fwd...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do people think our trade targets might be at the end of this year? Still early to call but it looks like we need another marking forward so Schache isn't the only tall marking option we have. I can see us making a play for Casboult. If we could get a couple good years out of him it would give us some more marking power up forward and take some pressure off young Schache. I wish we'd been able to get a couple of good years out of Cloke.

Who do people think our trade targets might be at the end of this year? Still early to call but it looks like we need another marking forward so Schache isn't the only tall marking option we have. I can see us making a play for Casboult. If we could get a couple good years out of him it would give us some more marking power up forward and take some pressure off young Schache. I wish we'd been able to get a couple of good years out of Cloke.
Depending who leaves and how Lewis Young comes on it would likely be another key position player. No idea who we could get though.

I worry that Casboult becomes another Cloke - picking up another club's discard way past their prime. He is just so hot and cold - when he's on, he can be a game winner. Then the following week, he completely goes missing to the point he shouldn't have even played.

A marking forward would surely be our #1 priority, but the options are quite thin. I would have said Taberner but he re-signed a couple days ago. Peter Wright looks decent, but surely will be held onto tight by the Suns now that Lynch is gone. I really rate Eric Hipwood but he's got to be untouchable.

In terms of gettable targets, we'd be looking at a developing player rather than a developed one, since I really don't see any that are gettable, even if we offered up our gluttony of draft picks and salary cap. Would think someone from West Coast is gettable - no way Oscar Allen, Jake Waterman, Jarrod Brander and Bailey Williams are all playing in the same side. I'd think Brander is the most likely to be pushed out by season end, but then it's on us to develop him which I have no faith in doing. Himmelberg from GWS would be enticing too.

Also just thought of another possible forward to target. Not exactly a tall target, but Alex Sexton is a restricted free agent end of this season, and was the Suns 2nd best scorer behind Lynch last year (on per-game rate. Was the leading goalkicker overall). Even kicked 5 goals against Melbourne this year (I think it was them) so has the ability to score big.

So long as he doesn't re-sign, we could throw a decent contract his way ($700k seems about right) and get him without sacrificing picks

I still have an eye on Michael Hartley from the bombers, 199 cm and 100 kg with around 41 Games under his belt to date
7/6/93 birth date so good age profile as well. The Hartley, Naughton KPD combo would be awesome.

Due to necessity and because of his talent I think English will be pushed to play fwd while Trengove predominantly rucks. Whether that happens and/or is a long term solution remains to be seen.

Early glances says English isnt the answer fwd but who knows. Slim picking elsewhere and it seems more likely Boyd kicks on than we trade in a decent ready made KPF. Casboult is a pretty ordinary option IMO, he can mark but does pretty much everything else wrong.

The problem with Hartley is he’s not very good at footy despite being a lovely size.
The problem Hartley has is they have Hurley, Hooker and now Aaron Francis is coming back and showing some form,
they also have the Riddler Jordan Ridley who although a little smaller at 192 cm. Hartley is good overhead and can
kick the ball and has good closing speed. Sometimes you can see what you want too see though I agree.

Also just thought of another possible forward to target. Not exactly a tall target, but Alex Sexton is a restricted free agent end of this season, and was the Suns 2nd best scorer behind Lynch last year (on per-game rate. Was the leading goalkicker overall). Even kicked 5 goals against Melbourne this year (I think it was them) so has the ability to score big.

So long as he doesn't re-sign, we could throw a decent contract his way ($700k seems about right) and get him without sacrificing picks
He's a quality player but with Lloyd, Gowers, Wallis, Greene and Dale do we need another medium forward?

I guess we may have cap free so have to spend it and I don't see too many other names being linked to us. He's slot into our best 22 and Lloyd only has a few years left.

He's a quality player but with Lloyd, Gowers, Wallis, Greene and Dale do we need another medium forward?

I guess we may have cap free so have to spend it and I don't see too many other names being linked to us. He's slot into our best 22 and Lloyd only has a few years left.
My thinking is that it's possible one of Dale or Greene doesn't secure a spot long term, and Lloyd will be gone in a couple years. Sexton is a long termer, and proven scorer, although I would still prefer a taller key forward over a medium forward, of course

I suppose we need one or two as understudies for Bailey Dale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back