Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a hypothetical - we appear well short of key talls. IMO we have a pretty deep midfield and assuming everyone is healthy it’s going to be hard to fit everyone in.

Would people be willing to trade one of these midfielders, say Dunkley or Mclean, for a good key forward prospect? I.E Peter wright, Ben Brown (not saying like for like but as a key part of a package)

Scrag just blocked you :p

Just a hypothetical - we appear well short of key talls. IMO we have a pretty deep midfield and assuming everyone is healthy it’s going to be hard to fit everyone in.

Would people be willing to trade one of these midfielders, say Dunkley or Mclean, for a good key forward prospect? I.E Peter wright, Ben Brown (not saying like for like but as a key part of a package)
Absolutely not

These trade have become rare with the advent of player power. The only way it happens if a young good player like say Bailey Williams wants out and say Todd Marshall wanted out. I'd do that even if we had to throw something in. A good chunk of supporters are against trading out players full stop. I recall one regular poster saying here in Aug last yr that anyone discussing a Marcus Adams trade was 'f...ing stupid'...

Reality is that Todd Marshall would choose collingwood/big club anyway.

The only eay we get a potential gun KPF is if no one wants them like Schache or if we throw mad money at them like Boyd. Now that we have our flag, I dont see the Boyd thing recurring.

In short, we need to draft a KPF. Tough gig.

These trade have become rare with the advent of player power. The only way it happens if a young good player like say Bailey Williams wants out and say Todd Marshall wanted out. I'd do that even if we had to throw something in. A good chunk of supporters are against trading out players full stop. I recall one regular poster saying here in Aug last yr that anyone discussing a Marcus Adams trade was 'f...ing stupid'...

The only eay we get a potential gun KPF is if no one wants them like Schache or if we throw mad money at them like Boyd. Now that we have our flag, I dont see the Boyd thing recurring.

Well said. I go back a few years and, apart from Barry Hall, we haven't been able to secure a good big key forward for, how long, twenty years, longer?

We've certainly tried with a succession of re-cycled players from other clubs and some really bad punts on draft hopefuls but never seem to come up trumps.

Club culture, greater need for play-makers, bad luck, who knows how this has come about but it has been an Achilles heel for the club basically since Simon Beasley.

However, I've still got hope for Schache and I haven't written Boyd off yet.

If, hypothetically, GWS wanted to part ways with Cameron because of contract demands, and Boyd didn't pan out because of his back, would people be interested in picking him up?

We desperately need a decent forward 50 target, and despite Cameron being a flog of a bloke, we need someone desperately.

Unless we draft someone mature age it doesn't really matter at this point. Unless this draftee is ready much more quickly than most KP his best years will be as the guys we currently have are reaching they back half of their careers, which probably is when we'll do another rebuild. Though I suppose it could be a quick rebuild, or we draft really well with lower picks, so we'd still get use out of him.

We are never going to sign a good KPF because we are a small club. We won’t be able to compete with the big clubs until the AFL gets serious about equalisation. We will need to strike gold in the draft or rely on battlers like Redpath. North have found this out in recent years. Even with the salary cap in place, players will take less money to play at destination clubs with better facilities, bigger crowds and marquee games.

We could have picked Ben Brown instead of Matt Fuller.

I'm sure there's another onw of these around most drafts.
Weren't we interested in one of the VFL-pre listed players Gold Coast picked up?

Right now we'll just have to wait until Schache develops. We really do need a quality marking and leading mid-sizer, would have loved McGovern who went to Carlton. We could have picked up Membrey a few years ago too.

We also do not need another 200cm player in the forward line. We need a jack riewoldt type purely for list balance. Look how much redpath straightened us up when he played

Agree' someone like Lukosious would have been perfect last yr. But to trade up for P2 would hace been a massive cost and totally speculative. Convincing a player to go to GCS is also nigh on impossible as weĺl.

Agree' someone like Lukosious would have been perfect last yr. But to trade up for P2 would hace been a massive cost and totally speculative. Convincing a player to go to GCS is also nigh on impossible as weĺl.
Plenty wanted us to trade up to grab Tom Boyd in his draft year.
Pick 4 (Bontempelli) would have been part of that trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't we interested in one of the VFL-pre listed players Gold Coast picked up?

Right now we'll just have to wait until Schache develops. We really do need a quality marking and leading mid-sizer, would have loved McGovern who went to Carlton. We could have picked up Membrey a few years ago too.

Gowers is just as good as those guys you mentioned and he is on a fraction of their wage.

Gowers is just as good as those guys you mentioned and he is on a fraction of their wage.
... if he has a twin brother I'd be all over him.
I really think we need another mid-sizer there. Lloyd helps, but we still have serious deficiencies in the front half.

We could have picked Ben Brown instead of Matt Fuller.

I'm sure there's another onw of these around most drafts.
I think we were pretty keen on drafting Peter Wright until the Pick#6+Griffen/Boyd trade happened.

GWS used pick 6 on Marchbank and Wright went at pick 8.

I'd still rather have a premiership cup in the cabinet and no KPF than be here in 2019 with 2 metre Peter on our list and still hoping for our first flag in 65 years.

Jarrad Grant (Pick 5), Patrick Dangerfield (Pick 10) is another one of my favourites.
If we passed on Grant we would have picked up Lachie Henderson who went a pick 8. We were always going tall that draft.

Cordy is a great defender but we need to sacrifice his game and get him up forward. Will add grunt, and played there in 2016 so should have a rough idea on how to play as a forward in a rabble of a forward line.

Wood and Naughty are our defenders and if we're finding we aren't tall enough then Trengrove moves back or even Roberts comes in. But reckon we must get Cordy forward of the footy at this stage.

If we passed on Grant we would have picked up Lachie Henderson who went a pick 8. We were always going tall that draft.
What about Christian Howard (Pick 15), Nat Fyfe (Pick 20) ? or the Declan Hamilton (Pick 39), Mitch McGovern (Pick 43).

Note: I can do this all day, but i have some shopping to do.

Every club has their howlers of decisions regarding the draft. No good comes of ruminating over what might have been.

What are the KPF stocks like this year in the U/18's???

Every club has their howlers of decisions regarding the draft. No good comes of ruminating over what might have been.

What are the KPF stocks like this year in the U/18's???
This is one of the biggest errors when recruiting a KPF, sometimes recruiters overlook the traits of a KPD which can be the same as
for a KPF if not better, an example would be Tom McDonald from Melbourne, who saw that coming and yet he has the makings of
a wonderful KPF perhaps as good as any in the competition. Could Aaron Naughton or Lewis Young be the next Tom McDonald ?

What about Christian Howard (Pick 15), Nat Fyfe (Pick 20) ? or the Declan Hamilton (Pick 39), Mitch McGovern (Pick 43).

Note: I can do this all day, but i have some shopping to do.

What about when we picked Bontempelli over Aish? What about when we picked JJ and Picken in the rookie draft?

Note: I can do this all day, but there's no point. Every club has good and bad picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back