Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree a KPD or a KPF should be our first trade target but it would be a mistake to fill the hole with yet another fringe KPP. Not only don't they solve the problem they clog the list for a few years. I'll give him a lot more time but I'm worried Gardner could fit in that category.

We should go for quality first, even if it's expensive. There are times when getting a fringe player is a viable strategy (eg Sam Lloyd) but not when the thing holding you back from being finals-ready is a quality KPP.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In regards to Zaine Cordy I feel as though often the team directive of playing in front he goes too far in that regard. Often those who play this role need to have elite speed or elite reading of the play and I don’t feel Zaine is anything but average in terms of both.

His strengths are his competiveness and his second efforts. Feel that might be better utilised in our forward line as the third tall where he can harass, tackle and provide blocks and hopefully get a small opponent.

He was out with injury that game

I thought Grimes was the one out, but I think I got it got mixed up with his suspension. Probably better he kicked 5 on Grimes though to be honest

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English looks great forward/ruck not as a main ruck. Let’s get Grundy and have the best ruck in the league. Play English forward and chopping out ruck. Would become the best 1-2 punch in the afl.
Imagine our awesome inside mids feeding off Grundy. $1.2-1.5M is what it may take to get him.
Bring in Roughhead as coach/final year kpp mentor.
Target Tomlinson for CHB. Aiden Corr as FB would meet a huge need.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English looks great forward/ruck not as a main ruck. Let’s get Grundy and have the best ruck in the league. Play English forward and chopping out ruck. Would become the best 1-2 punch in the afl.
Imagine our awesome inside mids feeding off Grundy. $1.2-1.5M is what it may take to get him.

I don’t disagree with going balls out for Grundy. But we ain’t getting Tomlinson in addition. Cheap options such as Corr/Casboult would have to be the ones to go to.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens

English looked alright as a main ruck on Saturday.

Aside from absurd nature of this fantasy - we are just straight up not going to put 3 years of development into English and then pay over market value (Grundy is not 25% better than Max Gawn who only commands 800k-1m in salary) for a more expensive older replacement who we would not be getting the prime years of.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If they are going to pay that they are mad. No one is worth that and there are quite a few better players around that age The Bont, Cripps, Kelly to name 3. I wonder what we will need to pay The Bont in a few years.
They’ll pay him that because he’s a free agent. They need to convince him to come to their club so they can get him without giving up any draft picks. Trengove wasn’t worth $500k a season. But it was enough for Port to let him go and for him to choose us so saving us draft picks to go and get someone else.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English looked alright as a main ruck on Saturday.

Aside from absurd nature of this fantasy - we are just straight up not going to put 3 years of development into English and then pay over market value (Grundy is not 25% better than Max Gawn who only commands 800k-1m in salary) for a more expensive older replacement who we would not be getting the prime years of.
To get a player to change teams, you must make it worthwhile. 25% more than Gawn is probably not enough. We would need to get closer to +50% what the Pies offer to get him to sign.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To get a player to change teams, you must make it worthwhile. 25% more than Gawn is probably not enough. We would need to get closer to +50% what the Pies offer to get him to sign.
We could offer +100% Grundy is not leaving Pies to come to us. If he leaves which I would think unlikely Crows or Port would be much more likely. Like the thinking just can't see how it happens.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
We have to guard our top end talent jealously.

We need to get rid of all the s**t and have a better second rung.

And Bev needs to trust role players more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Didn't realise Alex Keath was 197cm. With his marking and size...as he develops could be the next J McGovern. Hope we have a massive crack. Would send Lewis Young and/or Williams over there as part of any deal

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We don’t need another gun ruck we need a competent back up/forward to help English and forward.

We will have Trengove and Sweet on the list for emergencies.

What needs to be done is Bev backing in both Youngs for the rest of the year at either end and seeing if they can cut it.

Imo Gardner and Scahche are now list cloggers(I know early call but a meerkat can’t become a tiger)

Midfielders and smalls are a dime a dozen and I think we have the basis there already of a pretty good team so concentrate on fixing the KP situation.

So my trade period/FA targets would be as such.

1x nature ruck/forward - Jacobs/McKernan maybe even Ryder

1x mature forward to help develop forward line -
Roughead/Jenkins

Then make a splash at 2 x young KPS in or out of contract with our war chest. Hipwood/McKay type

Moz goes around again

Shia Bolton is not getting a game at the tigers as he has already told them he wants out so he is of some interest also.

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We don’t need another gun ruck we need a competent back up/forward to help English and forward.

We will have Trengove and Sweet on the list for emergencies.

What needs to be done is Bev backing in both Youngs for the rest of the year at either end and seeing if they can cut it.

Imo Gardner and Scahche are now list cloggers(I know early call but a meerkat can’t become a tiger)

Midfielders and smalls are a dime a dozen and I think we have the basis there already of a pretty good team so concentrate on fixing the KP situation.

So my trade period/FA targets would be as such.

1x nature ruck/forward - Jacobs/McKernan maybe even Ryder

1x mature forward to help develop forward line -
Roughead/Jenkins

Then make a splash at 2 x young KPS in or out of contract with our war chest. Hipwood/McKay type

Moz goes around again

Shia Bolton is not getting a game at the tigers as he has already told them he wants out so he is of some interest also.

I don’t usually think recruiting players who can’t get games at other clubs is a great strategy but in Bolton’s case He has performed ok when he’s had a chance and he is behind a long line of similar types at Richmond

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t usually think recruiting players who can’t get games at other clubs is a great strategy but in Bolton’s case He has performed ok when he’s had a chance and he is behind a long line of similar types at Richmond

I don’t believe Bolton isn’t getting a game due to talent there is more to the story

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Didn't realise Alex Keath was 197cm. With his marking and size...as he develops could be the next J McGovern. Hope we have a massive crack. Would send Lewis Young and/or Williams over there as part of any deal

It’s going to take a lot more than two fringe players.

Probably a first plus promising best 22 player - Daniel or Dunkley would be the two that other clubs want imo.

In which case it probably isn’t a deal that makes sense for us...

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s going to take a lot more than two fringe players.

Probably a first plus promising best 22 player - Daniel or Dunkley would be the two that other clubs want imo.

In which case it probably isn’t a deal that makes sense for us...

Why trade 20 yo Lewis Young for 27 yo Alex Keath?

In 4 years time that trade is going to look pretty stupid.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

I think you missed my initial point - the investment we’ve already made in Timmy in terms of time and draft capital (particularly given the fact that we were a contending team at the time) has been huge.

To overpay for Brodie Grundy (there isn’t a player in the comp who is worth that percentage of the salary cap either btw) just when it’s starting to bare fruit would be literal insanity.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

It’s not my idea. I was just pointing out why it wasn’t going to happen. I’m firmly in the send Naughton back draft kpf/look for an under appreciated resource option.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

Been some whispers that Young and Williams are being targeted and may be keen to return. So better to get something rather than speculation......

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Or we could up our offers to them knowing that they are likely ten year players.

Trading them on the cheap is pure stupidity.

I’d like to keep both, but you are aware they have a say in it too ?!?!

Been some whispers that Young and Williams are being targeted and may be keen to return. So better to get something rather than speculation......
Real whispers?
Or have you just read some of the usual BF paranoia - i.e. they come from SA so Port and Adelaide must be into them and they'll request a trade?

I haven't read any credible report that they want out yet. Not saying it won't happen but these things sometimes start as someone idly speculating and then end up taking on a life of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back