Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I do lament the big names we always seem to miss out on, can't argue against the good service we are getting out of Croz, Duryea, Lloyd and of course Trengove.

Croz and Duryea really help to stabilise a backline looking for its next great key backmen.

Just need that key back now.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re 100% invested in English now. The hard part has been done, we’ve exposed him to a full season pretty much rucking solo. His development has been fast tracked. If we were going to bring in a best 22 ruck this was the year to do it. Tying up that much future cash in Grundy doesn’t make sense now, despite how good he is. I’d rather chuck 2 years at Goldy than tie up millions in Grundy. Personally I think English is closer than we think.
Completely agree. We also have Sweet developing in the VFL who looks like a solid long term option in the mould of Will Minson. Give him a preseason, and I think he'll really step up next year, with AFL time looking a more realistic option in 2021. If we're going to spend money on a "ruck", I'd rather spend it on someone like Harry McKay who is a potential elite key forward. Even someone like Josh Bruce or Levi Casboult would be a better option due to what they can offer elsewhere on the field.

Even Nathan Vardy might be an option. In 2018 he was a very decent ruck/forward for West Coast, playing second fiddle to Lycett. This year, he's turned to absolute dogshit, but might be worth a look and see if he can turn it around with us. Wouldn't cost anything in a trade, would demand stuff all salary, doesn't have the highest ceiling, but he's potentially a slightly above average ruck/forward that can get us through the next couple of years

Yep - we're 50/50 on Martin (Carlton going hard) and Keath (Hawks are into him too).

I doubt we're going to get Tippa, and I think Moore is just using the Bulldogs to up his contract value.

There will be a left field surprise though, I'm sure of it.
Hope you’re right regarding the left field surprises Mofra and more so they are pleasant ones? I really feel given our presidents public declaration that we failed as club to have the support structure in place to entice indigenous players that we would land one or two as confirmation that things have changed. It can’t be a coincidence that we’ve been linked to Tippa, Martin and the Hill bros.... Just feel PG knows something we don’t :)

Hope you’re right regarding the left field surprises Mofra and more so they are pleasant ones? I really feel given our presidents public declaration that we failed as club to have the support structure in place to entice indigenous players that we would land one or two as confirmation that things have changed. It can’t be a coincidence that we’ve been linked to Tippa, Martin and the Hill bros.... Just feel PG knows something we don’t :)
Rumours only, but I heard we weren't chasing the Hills anymore because of the cost (Saints have a huge offer in front of Brad).
We missed on Impey last year, I expect Karl Amon is a name we have on a list of possible targets somewhere. I've heard really good things about Jack Martin off field though, could be a really good person to have around the club when Marra joins us in 2020

Rumours only, but I heard we weren't chasing the Hills anymore because of the cost (Saints have a huge offer in front of Brad).
We missed on Impey last year, I expect Karl Amon is a name we have on a list of possible targets somewhere. I've heard really good things about Jack Martin off field though, could be a really good person to have around the club when Marra joins us in 2020
You’ve convinced me on Martin if his off field work is good.

Had no idea about the off-field stuff with Martin. I had the impression he was relatively uninvolved outside of the actual playing side of things. Can you elaborate on his off-field work? Or any links?

If he's got strong character and leadership off-field, then I would be pretty keen on bringing him in

No, another GWS cap clearing move.

There’ll be more and more of this in the AFL. Pittard has been great for North this year and they landed him for nothing in a cap dump.

Since the introduction of free agency it’s starting to happen.

Pretty smart dealings really. If a salary dump with a meagre pick in return allows you to get a big money FA you pull the trigger.

Had no idea about the off-field stuff with Martin. I had the impression he was relatively uninvolved outside of the actual playing side of things. Can you elaborate on his off-field work? Or any links?

If he's got strong character and leadership off-field, then I would be pretty keen on bringing him in
Martin does a lot of work with Harbrow on his aboriginal programs and helps out their NGA groups.

Maclure on Time on (SEN) last night said the dogs were into Marting Smith & Moore.
Moore's manager came out and said we haven't been in contact at all, so I think this is just McClure piling on to a made up rumour, which removes any credibility for his other statements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore's manager came out and said we haven't been in contact at all, so I think this is just McClure piling on to a made up rumour, which removes any credibility for his other statements.
Hasnt this game been played before by managers?

Id love to get him in the side, but itd be highly unlikely and we'd have to pay through our a$$

Hasnt this game been played before by managers?

Id love to get him in the side, but itd be highly unlikely and we'd have to pay through our a$$
There's a difference between a manager saying "Darcy is very happy at the Pies and has no plans on leaving" (i.e. offer us more or we won't move)
versus
"We have not even been contacted by the Dogs"

This makes me think it's just another invented trade link to generate clicks

I personally don’t think Moore leaves Collingwood but what else did people (media included) want to hear from Pickering as a strong lead either way?

Pretty stock standard stuff from a player manager this time of year.

At the rate we're going, I am tipping us to finish with Pick ~13 (assuming we win in the first week of finals, then lose second week to one of West Coast or Brisbane) which I'd hope would be more than enough for a straight swap. Florent was taken with Pick 11, and has been decent without blowing anyone away. I'd like to think that our first in a straight swap would be slight overs if anything, although he is contracted and apparently quite highly rated within Sydney. Not sure what kind of sweetener we could really offer tbh, considering we don't have any players of interest for them (unless Webb was interested in heading up as steak knives, but he could be DFA anyway)
would you be happy with pick 18 for Ed Richards?

I don't think we'll get Moore, but if this was a contract ploy from Moore's camp it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Pickering to come out and say we haven't spoken to him.
Yeah of course it would.
He could easily say to Collingwood “the Dogs have offered us $1m per year, he wants to stay at Collingwood desperately so $800k will get it done.”
Doesn’t have to be played out through the media so that pies fans get frustrated / disappointed with Moore

would you be happy with pick 18 for Ed Richards?
Richards has produced more than Florent in the last 2 years, was a more recent draftee (hence hasn't tanked his value yet), and is contracted for an extra year (2021 for Richards, vs 2020 for Florent). We're also talking Pick 18 vs Pick 13, which is a pretty big difference at the top end.

In saying that, I also wouldn't expect us to get much more for Richards than Pick 18. Certainly wouldn't be happy at all with that, but I also acknowledge that people tend to seriously overrate the trade value of their own players

Richards has produced more than Florent in the last 2 years, was a more recent draftee (hence hasn't tanked his value yet), and is contracted for an extra year (2021 for Richards, vs 2020 for Florent). We're also talking Pick 18 vs Pick 13, which is a pretty big difference at the top end.

In saying that, I also wouldn't expect us to get much more for Richards than Pick 18. Certainly wouldn't be happy at all with that, but I also acknowledge that people tend to seriously overrate the trade value of their own players
Has he really produced that much more? Their stats are pretty bloody similar (slightly favouring Florent).

Contracted or not doesn’t really matter when they are both so far away from free agency.

We wouldn’t give up Richards for 18 and a Sydney wouldn’t give up Florrent for 13. It’s not good business to give up first round picks showing promise for downgrade on their original draft position

Exactly. And we wouldn’t take it. Why would Sydney do a similar deal for Florent?

If he asked for a trade? 100% I'd take it. I'm a strong believer that you don't keep players that don't want to be there. Plus I don't really think where they were originally drafted matters all that much in a trade. I'd keep him if they were offering unders but pick 18 is more than a fair deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back