Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky Nixon just tweeted Steven May looking at alternatives if Dees fall through and mentions the Dogs as his alternative.
They have to trade Hogan to afford him, bugger all picks this year

He'd be an upgrade on Adams that's for sure for us

Would trade pick 7 for him and something late, means our backline is done for 5 years

I think we've almost reached the stage where if the players and AFLPA want clubs to be mature enough to be ok with free agency and player movement, then they in turn have to be mature enough to accept that the club can trade you to whoever offers them the best deal. If contracts mean nothing to players, why should they mean anything to clubs.

This would need the AFL to invest a lot more money investigating salary cap breaches, and strengthening those rules.
Trouble is, clubs want players happy to be there, for team cohesiveness. The players hold the whip hand. There may have to be performance clauses (if there aren't already). Or, a short-term deal, a la Kelly, to give the player a chance to adapt to the team he didn't want, which is binding, after which he can ask for another trade. No, it would be such a nightmare it's easier to give in to them :(.

Ricky Nixon just tweeted Steven May looking at alternatives if Dees fall through and mentions the Dogs as his alternative.

More than happy to have a crack at May. Will definitely stiffen our defence.

I'll say it again but we need midfield speed and I would be thrilled to nab Jayden Hunt. I hope we're asking.

Not again

images

Maybe I'm too old school but I would hate to be a Hawks supporter.

Part of the reason I love football is seeing young kids drafted to the club watching them develop and then go on to play 100-200-300 games in the rw&b.

I will never feel the same way about Boyd or Schache as I do about Bont or Macrae and I hope to one day see their banners hanging at the top of etihad stadium with other true champions of the west.

Yes it sucks to miss out on a player we were interested in but if the side effect of that is that we draft in another kid who grows into another champion of our club that is fine by me.

I know that we have traded in and traded out players for varying reasons in the past but if we ever get to the point that talented drafted in kids are being offered for trade against their will to pull in players from other clubs, my love for this game will be forever diminished.
Having one club players is nice. But having 4 premierships inside the last 10 years is nicer.

Ryan Burton is reportedly unsettled due to being on the table for Wingard.

If he wants to stay in Melbourne, we should seriously consider. Dahlhaus pick maybe enough if he is dirty with the Hawks...

Even if you get past the whole recruiting a player Clarko's looking to discard, one we already have better versions of thing etc. Logistically he's a contracted player (till 2020, he's got no impending FA leverage) so Hawthorn can really do with him what they like (that won't involve offloading him to us on the cheap when they are looking to secure two big trades.)

Hesitant to trade for May. At 27 in January and as a contracted captain, I think we'll be paying heavy overs for him (i.e. a straight swap for 7 imo is overs). Happy to be persuaded otherwise though, he is a great player

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he’d cost more than that.
He's worth two firsts for Collingwood with late picks, but not us, 7 + a player or 7 + 26

Although Gold Coast will finish bottom two again next year you'd think, so they'd get pick 2-3 for him if he leaves next year

To be fair, a whole trade period & a half. Last year we didn’t do much to rectify the gaps in our list, a few days in & we still haven’t done anything
Last year we added 3 best 22 players (Crozier, Trengove and Schache) and nailed two first round picks.
In hindsight last year was outstanding for us even though many of us had concerns at the time.

Lloyd is meh - but he'll cost nothing and could add to our forwardline which is diabolical. The trade period is still running and we have currency.

We should wait and see before we start grading Power.

Would love May, think he is one of the best defenders in the comp, has a bit of c*nt about him, good pace, leadership (leaving his club as captain I know), can even swing forward. I think especially away from Gold Coast he could easily be All Australian. Would happily pay overs to land him.

Crozier / May / Wood
JJ / Naughton / Cordy

That is a fantastic backline and have some depth with Morris, Williams, Richards, Suckling etc to go through there.

Is honey-church still going to GC?

Probably just as a delisted FA or at best a late pick swap. Don't think they plan on giving much up for him.

I'm surprised there isn't a little more interest in Campbell. I think he'd be a good option for GWS with their lack of rucks, or as a first backup elsewhere. With our cap situation we can even do a deal where we pay a bit of his salary next year which enables us to get a better pick for him, but doesn't seem to be much interest.

Gws salary dump or is McCartney having an impact ! ? !

He has either inherited a basket case or turned it into one.
- he signs Finlayson and then tries shopping him around 3 months later
- Scully wants out
- Lobb wants out
- the young pick 5 wants to Carlton
- Shiel is out

If he doesn’t hold onto Kelly next year wow - horrible start to a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back