Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The missing out due to "no indigenous players" is similar to the job market. Wanted - recent graduate, must have 15 years of business management experience. Skin colour shouldn't really matter, whoever we bring to the club needs to bring something we need as well & play their role. Surely there is an AFL experienced player or two we can look at on the cheap? It sucks that injuries have taken their toll, but based on our needs Jeff Garlett on a cheap deal will bring experience & forward pressure for us. Gotta start somewhere!

Give it a few years until all of them want to play with Marra.
It's a frustration. There's no shortage of goodwill on the part of the club but who wants to be the pioneer at VUWO, the one who says to the world through his own experience that this is a good place and a worthy destination for indigenous players?

I wonder if Martin was a bit daunted by the prospect of being cast (intentionally or not) as that sort of leader? I certainly wouldn't blame him if he felt that the role and the sense of expectation was too much of a load and a distraction to a young player trying to re-establish his career and regain the rave reviews he had as a junior. I don't even know if the club is looking at such a designated role, but if it is, whoever ends up doing it will need to be a compelling and confident leader, not just a good player. It might be beneficial if we could get get 2-3 such players to share such a role.

I'm looking forward to seeing what impact new director Belinda Duarte might have on this problem.

Going by the info on here and in the press the answer is apparently yes and yes.

Except most of the info on here and in the press is complete horseshit. Given our history of attracting talent if we get one we have done well

Shai Bolton re-signed :(

Not surprising. Think it was either staying or going to WA anyway.

Hope we’re looking at Butler as a cheap small forward alternative. High pressure forward, 53 goals from 45 games (including 30 in 2017), shouldn’t cost any more than a 3rd round pick and still just 23. Think he’d tick a lot of boxes for a player we’re looking for.

Not surprising. Think it was either staying or going to WA anyway.

Hope we’re looking at Butler as a cheap small forward alternative. High pressure forward, 53 goals from 45 games (including 30 in 2017), shouldn’t cost any more than a 3rd round pick and still just 23. Think he’d tick a lot of boxes for a player we’re looking for.
I would have said yes, until the second half of this year happened. He's been terrible at VFL level.

I would have said yes, until the second half of this year happened. He's been terrible at VFL level.

Oh really. Got to say I don’t watch any VFL anymore other than the odd Footscray game so I’ll take your word for it.

His numbers look fine though, 20 goals 14 behinds from 13 games. Averaging 15 touches (11k, 4h), 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s.

Oh really. Got to say I don’t watch any VFL anymore other than the odd Footscray game so I’ll take your word for it.

His numbers look fine though, 20 goals 14 behinds from 13 games. Averaging 15 touches (11k, 4h), 5 tackles, 4 inside 50s.
Numbers don't paint the most accurate picture, but even then those are barely above average stats, and way under what you'd expect for a 23 year old AFL listed small forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a frustration. There's no shortage of goodwill on the part of the club but who wants to be the pioneer at VUWO, the one who says to the world through his own experience that this is a good place and a worthy destination for indigenous players?

I wonder if Martin was a bit daunted by the prospect of being cast (intentionally or not) as that sort of leader? I certainly wouldn't blame him if he felt that the role and the sense of expectation was too much of a load and a distraction to a young player trying to re-establish his career and regain the rave reviews he had as a junior. I don't even know if the club is looking at such a designated role, but if it is, whoever ends up doing it will need to be a compelling and confident leader, not just a good player. It might be beneficial if we could get get 2-3 such players to share such a role.

I'm looking forward to seeing what impact new director Belinda Duarte might have on this problem.

May have something to do with it, but it's quite likely it will never become public knowledge as to exactly why. My presumption would have to be the (on field) role we'd want him to play isn't what he wants & maybe that's what Carlton offered. Maybe he wants midfield time he wouldn't get as much of here, or maybe through meetings he wouldn't have been able to crack in to what we are aiming for

Having a lack of indigenous players that the club has said theyre trying to address creates the problem of recruiting guys based on race, instead of being the player we need. I said a couple of weeks ago I thought we'd miss out on Martin for this very reason.

Adding indigenous boys to the list has to happen organically, rather than a fix for a problem.

Hopefully Jamarra can start the change, but its a tricky list management issue this one.

Having a lack of indigenous players that the club has said theyre trying to address creates the problem of recruiting guys based on race, instead of being the player we need. I said a couple of weeks ago I thought we'd miss out on Martin for this very reason.

Adding indigenous boys to the list has to happen organically, rather than a fix for a problem.

Hopefully Jamarra can start the change, but its a tricky list management issue this one.
Agree it's a tricky list management problem and we have to be careful how we address it because ethnicity is always a sensitive issue. There is a risk that we'll be accused of neglect, tokenism, opportunism or political correctness whatever we end up doing. We shouldn't worry too much about that - there's always someone out there who is going to find fault.

The problem is we are finding year after year that we are missing out on "the player we need" (Impey, Wingard, Martin) because it seems there is no pull factor for indigenous players to come to our club - this is distinct from nearly every other AFL club. I think I read that indigenous players make up about 10% of the 800 or so on AFL lists. If it goes on much longer it could become an accepted "truth" that we're not a suitable destination and then it's even harder to overcome.

So if we can't add indigenous players by trading, how do we fix this problem? Do we just rely on the draft and see if the junior indigenous players we recruit will stay? How long until they will be seen as role models and leaders? It could be the best part of a decade, and that's assuming they do become successful AFL players and want to stay with us.

I really don't know what the right answer is but I feel that a more urgent and constructive approach would be better. Engaging the likes of Belinda Duarte and Brett Goodes to help solve it seems like a good start.

Restricted free agents: Nil
Unrestricted free agents: Tory Dickson, Fletcher Roberts, Ryan Gardner, Roarke Smith

State of play: Veteran forward Dickson played a key role in an otherwise young Western Bulldogs attack this season and will be angling for a one-year extension. However, there are tough calls to be made on a host of other free agents. Premiership defender Roberts has played just four games in the past two years and is on the outer, while Smith has long had to wait until late in the year before earning a new deal. Gardner appears likely to earn a rookie extension, having been recruited in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft. - Riley Beveridge

Agree. We tried too hard with Stack and Skinner and it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back