Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh not many people realise that Campbell getting his hand to the ball means the opponent ruckman is not !

I’m not big fan either that just getting hitouts helps you so agree from that perspective about that stat but having someone who is not dominated in that area is super important.

If only the big dufess was able to get around the ground better.

Just to intrude a moment (sorry), but Tommy Campbell has a 14 wins / 8 losses record in the past four seasons, played 2015, 2016 and 2017 only, and at least two of those losses coincided with injury. The Club goes OK with him in it and while not the quickest, he's a handy back up. I hope we take him if available for just that role.

Last edited:
Just to intrude a moment (sorry), but Tommy Campbell has a 14 wins / 8 losses record in the past four seasons, played 2015, 2016 and 2017, only and at least two of those losses coincided with his injury. The Club goes OK with him in it and while not the quickest, he's a handy back up. I hope we take him if available for just that role.

I rated him when he was playing in 2015. Also provided a good target at FF. Not sure why he fell out of favour.

I rated him when he was playing in 2015. Also provided a good target at FF. Not sure why he fell out of favour.

He cannot run. Bevo clearly wants a mobile ruck, he cannot spread from his opponent or run out a full game...

Why it hasn’t been fixed in the time he has been at the club is the more interesting question....

Have the club made a recent statement in regards to Libba’s contract and why it hasn’t been signed yet? Is there a chance we are looking to upgrade a pick in the draft if we delist him as a free agent? Seem to remember seeing that you can trade delisted free agents in the live draft.

Have the club made a recent statement in regards to Libba’s contract and why it hasn’t been signed yet? Is there a chance we are looking to upgrade a pick in the draft if we delist him as a free agent? Seem to remember seeing that you can trade delisted free agents in the live draft.

That makes no sense. Delisting a player basically means you don’t have the rights to them any more. His contract also runs out at the end of the month

I'd be keeping Campbell on the senior list or if possible, delisting him and picking him up as a rookie. The loss of Roughy makes us short on ruckmen. Campbell costs nothing as a 4th choice ruck to play VFL and bring in for emergency.

I'd delist Honeychurch. He sadly doesn't really offer anything of much use. His spot on the list is better spent at the draft.

There are a lot of unknowns still due to the new rules around trading picks. I am skeptical about our ability to turn our current hand into another pick before a West bid arrives. I just don't think there are many clubs that would be interested in that trade. I'd like us to get Hayes & Cavarra in addition to pick 7, West & Khamis. Menzel is another one I'd be keen to look at - he can take Redpath's list spot and his salary would be minimal.

Very confident in the overall quality of character and talent on our list. We need to find more goals though and this concerns me. If we can sort that out, we should be pushing for top 8, assuming guys like Dickson, Picken, Libba, Wood, Suckling and Morris can stay fit and have an influence

I'd be keeping Campbell on the senior list or if possible, delisting him and picking him up as a rookie. The loss of Roughy makes us short on ruckmen. Campbell costs nothing as a 4th choice ruck to play VFL and bring in for emergency.

I'd delist Honeychurch. He sadly doesn't really offer anything of much use. His spot on the list is better spent at the draft.

There are a lot of unknowns still due to the new rules around trading picks. I am skeptical about our ability to turn our current hand into another pick before a West bid arrives. I just don't think there are many clubs that would be interested in that trade. I'd like us to get Hayes & Cavarra in addition to pick 7, West & Khamis. Menzel is another one I'd be keen to look at - he can take Redpath's list spot and his salary would be minimal.

Very confident in the overall quality of character and talent on our list. We need to find more goals though and this concerns me. If we can sort that out, we should be pushing for top 8, assuming guys like Dickson, Picken, Libba, Wood, Suckling and Morris can stay fit and have an influence

Agree. I'm all for Menzel, I just think he would add a bit of an X Factor to our forward line. A player that would have opposition defenders looking over their shoulder.

Libba is the only one I'm keen on resigning. HC is never gonna make it now and TC cannot even be regarded as a depth option when Bevo refuses to play him. both seem good clubmen but we need to be ruthless, would rather see their 2 spots go to low picks who may add something.

It is strange that all 3 have dragged on so long whereas Colons and NMM were cut pre-trade period.

My understanding is that Libba is a probable re-sign pending the finalisation of incentive clauses, but know nothing about the other 2. Anyone heard anything?

Libba is the only one I'm keen on resigning. HC is never gonna make it now and TC cannot even be regarded as a depth option when Bevo refuses to play him. both seem good clubmen but we need to be ruthless, would rather see their 2 spots go to low picks who may add something.

It is strange that all 3 have dragged on so long whereas Colons and NMM were cut pre-trade period.

My understanding is that Libba is a probable re-sign pending the finalisation of incentive clauses, but know nothing about the other 2. Anyone heard anything?

It seems harsh to cut a 21 year old kpd who hasn’t improved, while keeping two 26/27 year olds who haven’t improved...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I'm all for Menzel, I just think he would add a bit of an X Factor to our forward line. A player that would have opposition defenders looking over their shoulder.

After 4 previous knee operations, the only people that would be looking over their shoulder in regards to Menzel would be the trainers wondering when they had to get out the stretcher to carry him off the ground.

He has to wear the collar till Christmas so who knows :(

My theory is we will wait and see on his neck until maybe halfway through pre-season and if it’s no good and he won’t be able to play again he’ll retire and we will sign a state-leaguer. Seems like the logical option instead of making a decision in the next week or two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My theory is we will wait and see on his neck until maybe halfway through pre-season and if it’s no good and he won’t be able to play again he’ll retire and we will sign a state-leaguer. Seems like the logical option instead of making a decision in the next week or two.

Would we not have a very good idea now on if Webb is able to go on or not?

Couldn’t disagree more. Think about this.

In 2016, when we beat them in the semi, we were soooooo much younger and on the up. Fast forward 2 years, and they just finished top 4 and added Wingard and Scully, while we field a bunch of kids that can only compete to half time.

Draft picks are nothing more than a commodity to add talent to your list.

The hawks are the best club in the competition.

No they were miles off it this year IMO

Would you be looking to replace Campbell with another ruckman? My concern is that there may not be a decent candidate in the draft/state leagues to fill that void. If there is, then by all means delist Campbell. If there isn't, I think I'd keep him as insurance, even just to play VFL and help the development of our mids in the 2nds etc. Think we'd be too short on rucks otherwise, really want Tommy playing 75% fwd next year with Trengove & English battling for #1 ruck spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back