Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the logic behind not filling the last spot?

Especially for a team like Melbourne who are pushing for a flag next year, surely they would like a Grigg/Gibbons type as back up?

Especially for a team like Melbourne who are pushing for a flag next year, surely they would like a Grigg/Gibbons type as back up?
Possibly no cap room

I'm not certain what the deal is with the mid-season draft, but I doubt they'd let teams go over the maximum 44 players (excluding category B), and delisting players mid-season would likely make the AFLPA jump up and down. I imagine some teams will keep positions open for the draft in the event of unforeseen circumstances. For example, if we sign a key forward now because it looks like an area of weakness, then cop injuries to all of our inside midfielders in the first half of the year, we have no options. If we leave the spot open we might be able to recruit somebody to fill a specific role.

It also allows us to track the progress of players that we're interested in for a longer period of time. I imagine some teams will do it for cap reasons, too.

I'm not certain what the deal is with the mid-season draft, but I doubt they'd let teams go over the maximum 44 players (excluding category B), and delisting players mid-season would likely make the AFLPA jump up and down. I imagine some teams will keep positions open for the draft in the event of unforeseen circumstances. For example, if we sign a key forward now because it looks like an area of weakness, then cop injuries to all of our inside midfielders in the first half of the year, we have no options. If we leave the spot open we might be able to recruit somebody to fill a specific role.

It also allows us to track the progress of players that we're interested in for a longer period of time. I imagine some teams will do it for cap reasons, too.
Can't we only fill that list spot with someone up until Feb? That's the cutoff to recruit I believe.

I thought that midseason draft was a cat B rookie only?

I heard Goddard

Please tell me you heard that from a very unreliable source.

He sounds happy with his decision to retire, probably gone on a year too long already & we can’t have another liability around

Hope this helps.

The rule would allow clubs to make list changes between December 1 and March 15, and place players on one of three inactive lists: a long-term injury list, a season-ending list or a retired player list.
AFL General counsel Andrew Dillon said the changes would give clubs greater “flexibility”.

“In the interest of creating further opportunities for clubs to improve their lists, clubs will now be able to make additions as required throughout pre-season and also participate in a mid-season draft,” Dillon said.
AFL to introduce a mid-season rookie draft for 2019 season: report

Hope this helps.

The rule would allow clubs to make list changes between December 1 and March 15, and place players on one of three inactive lists: a long-term injury list, a season-ending list or a retired player list.
AFL General counsel Andrew Dillon said the changes would give clubs greater “flexibility”.

“In the interest of creating further opportunities for clubs to improve their lists, clubs will now be able to make additions as required throughout pre-season and also participate in a mid-season draft,” Dillon said.
AFL to introduce a mid-season rookie draft for 2019 season: report
Lukas Webb would have to be a big chance of being placed on a long term injured list given he is still in a neck brace. I would think he is most likely not given the go ahead for full contact games in the near future.

All the best for him of course but can see another list spot opening up there.

Can't we only fill that list spot with someone up until Feb? That's the cutoff to recruit I believe.

I thought that midseason draft was a cat B rookie only?
Sam Power mentioned at a recent function that media reports were incorrect and we have a full list. Not sure if that includes signing Buku to a cat B or cat A spot as some suggested we were going to do

Sam Power mentioned at a recent function that media reports were incorrect and we have a full list. Not sure if that includes signing Buku to a cat B or cat A spot as some suggested we were going to do
"Full list" is forty players on the main list, it's not that long ago we had Tristan Tweedie as a category B rookie and had a total
of forty five players across all three lists. If Buku Khamis was gifted to us as a category B rookie surely that was to get an
extra player as a category A rookie, upgrading Buku to category A would not be competent.

Any thoughts on why Buku slipped through the draft to be rookied by us? Did we just overate him on BF?

Really, really didnt want to leave the area, let alone the state. I imagine if this come across in meetings with other clubs that would be enough to cross him off their list.

Any thoughts on why Buku slipped through the draft to be rookied by us? Did we just overate him on BF?
I don't think he was overrated in here. Most phantoms had him in the 40s or 50s and he did make the U18 All Australian team, so his abilities were well acknowledged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Full list" is forty players on the main list, it's not that long ago we had Tristan Tweedie as a category B rookie and had a total
of forty five players across all three lists. If Buku Khamis was gifted to us as a category B rookie surely that was to get an
extra player as a category A rookie, upgrading Buku to category A would not be competent.

Afl website suggesting that’s exactly what we did. Upgraded buku to cat a rookie removing that spot from our list.

Staggering really when we had the luxury to carry another soldier on the list

I'm surprised that the rules even allowed us to have Khamis as a Cat B rookie at the end of the national draft.

At the very least we should have been forced to match the type of rookie list spot that another club wanted to have him with, in other words, if a club was willing to use an actual Rookie Draft pick on him, we then should have been forced to match that with the last of our own rookie draft picks, and not automatically allowed to move him to Cat B at the end of the national draft.

Afl website suggesting that’s exactly what we did. Upgraded buku to cat a rookie removing that spot from our list.

Staggering really when we had the luxury to carry another soldier on the list
I agree with it in principle - if we can carry an extra total player on our list, why not, but you have to figure that the club thought it through and placed risk of not having Khamis able to be selected for Round 1, given the chance there isn't otherwise a long-term injury and he's good enough to be part of the team, outweighs the value that we placed on the remaining players.

Which is kinda ridiculous when you think about it. There's plenty of good players floating around, even those that were delisted from bad clubs. Spitballing here, but I'd much rather take a 1-year punt on someone like Sam Kerridge, Declan Mountford, Kieren Lovell, Liam Dawson, Brady Grey or Cory Gregson, all players who have shown something at AFL level and/or have improvement left as players (even if there's reasons case-by-case that no team picked them up_, no harm done if we delist them for a year (not to mention the fact we can continue to add state-leaguers to the team, someone like Mitch Grigg who killed it in the SANFL all season), than promote Khamis to the Cat A rookie list.

In fact the whole thing seems absurd that we wouldn't do that, that we have to wonder if we've misinterpreted the rules or something.

I agree with it in principle - if we can carry an extra total player on our list, why not, but you have to figure that the club thought it through and placed risk of not having Khamis able to be selected for Round 1, given the chance there isn't otherwise a long-term injury and he's good enough to be part of the team, outweighs the value that we placed on the remaining players.

Which is kinda ridiculous when you think about it. There's plenty of good players floating around, even those that were delisted from bad clubs. Spitballing here, but I'd much rather take a 1-year punt on someone like Sam Kerridge, Declan Mountford, Kieren Lovell, Liam Dawson, Brady Grey or Cory Gregson, all players who have shown something at AFL level and/or have improvement left as players (even if there's reasons case-by-case that no team picked them up_, no harm done if we delist them for a year (not to mention the fact we can continue to add state-leaguers to the team, someone like Mitch Grigg who killed it in the SANFL all season), than promote Khamis to the Cat A rookie list.

In fact the whole thing seems absurd that we wouldn't do that, that we have to wonder if we've misinterpreted the rules or something.
Is say it's more to do with the club having made a commitment to Buku. We were prepared to offer him a main list spot and he was probably expecting to go in the national Draft. To then only be given a rookie b contact would be a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Dogs officially move Khamis to Rookie spot
can play round 1 now
Why did they not just draft him and take Hayes as a rookie ? I wanted Matthew Hammelmann to play full forward and be a
back up KPD in case of emergency, some of the Irish players are well ahead of Khamis and I was under the impression
that category B rookies were outside the cap anyway. I am perplexed.

We voluntarily lodged the paperwork to upgrade Buku to Cat A, no error.
I suspect we were expecting to take him in the main draft so having him on the rookie list is a bonus anyway. A few draft watchers had him in their top 30.

Personally I'm staggered that Quaynor goes in the teens (bid) and Buku slips to a rookie spot. Then again I liked Curtis Taylor at the champs and he slipped into the 40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back