Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Is say it's more to do with the club having made a commitment to Buku. We were prepared to offer him a main list spot and he was probably expecting to go in the national Draft. To then only be given a rookie b contact would be a bit of a kick in the teeth.
I understand he is a young kid but why should this come into the equation? If he ends up being sooking (not that he would at all) about being taken as a rookie instead of on the main list, then what hope does he have in forging out a successful career? There will almost certainly be a long term injury next year, and if he shows enough then he would be instantly upgraded at the end of next year.

It's not a massive deal in the scheme of things, but I seriously fail to understand why we wouldn't take a punt on another raw prospect to develop in the VFL at a minimum. Khamis is as raw as they come, so why go with one prospect when you have the option of two at basically at zero cost?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I understand he is a young kid but why should this come into the equation? If he ends up being sooking (not that he would at all) about being taken as a rookie instead of on the main list, then what hope does he have in forging out a successful career? There will almost certainly be a long term injury next year, and if he shows enough then he would be instantly upgraded at the end of next year.

It's not a massive deal in the scheme of things, but I seriously fail to understand why we wouldn't take a punt on another raw prospect to develop in the VFL at a minimum. Khamis is as raw as they come, so why go with one prospect when you have the option of two at basically at zero cost?
Maybe they see Khamis as someone with the potential to debut next year? It's really the only reason I can see for it. If we learned anything last year, it's that the club won't hesitate to give the rookies a go (Lynch, Smith, Gowers). We very well could still see Khamis play towards the back end of the year if all goes well

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The reason for taking Buku as a b rookie was too allow us to get him without using a pick. That then allowed us to take Hayes in the Draft rather than risking another team taking him as a rookie before we could and giving us another first round rookie pick instead of that going on Khamis.
Sure we could have kept Khamis as a b rookie and had a crack at another speculative prospect but perhaps the club just thought they'd reward a kid who committed to us, worked his arse off to be all Australian, is a great story and link to a rapidly growing part of our community. Also gives him a bit of a carrot that if he works at it he could play AFL this year.
I have no problems with it.

We voluntarily lodged the paperwork to upgrade Buku to Cat A, no error.
I suspect we were expecting to take him in the main draft so having him on the rookie list is a bonus anyway. A few draft watchers had him in their top 30.

Personally I'm staggered that Quaynor goes in the teens (bid) and Buku slips to a rookie spot. Then again I liked Curtis Taylor at the champs and he slipped into the 40s.
Think a lot of clubs knew he wanted to be a Bulldog players

The reason for taking Buku as a b rookie was too allow us to get him without using a pick. That then allowed us to take Hayes in the Draft rather than risking another team taking him as a rookie before we could and giving us another first round rookie pick instead of that going on Khamis.
Sure we could have kept Khamis as a b rookie and had a crack at another speculative prospect but perhaps the club just thought they'd reward a kid who committed to us, worked his arse off to be all Australian, is a great story and link to a rapidly growing part of our community. Also gives him a bit of a carrot that if he works at it he could play AFL this year.
I have no problems with it.
Buku been part of Western Bulldogs since 2012, one of the first kids to play in the multicultural games

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory

The other issue with Buku is that the club obviously thinks that he is a better chance to play football this year than anyone else we were thinking of selecting as a rookie. If that is the case, it makes sense to just upgrade Buku rather than take a lesser player which would mean that Buku's ability to play (he would need to be upgraded to be able to play) and therefore develop may be held back.

Heard from my connections at the club that we have offered Goddard a 1-year playing/2-year coaching contract. He is currently undecided as he isnt sure he has another year in him mentally.

tenor.gif

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Heard from my connections at the club that we have offered Goddard a 1-year playing/2-year coaching contract. He is currently undecided as he isnt sure he has another year in him mentally.

I ******* hope not; there's a difference between a player playing with some mongrel and being an utter campaigner who points fingers that nobody likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back