Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Note: I can do this all day, but there's no point. Every club has good and bad picks.
That was the point mate, every club has good and bad picks, but you zig instead of zag and you go from dynasty to
making up the numbers. It's not being critical at all, just showing how much luck is involved. Picken is a poor
example as he had to raise 20k to buy a rookie spot when he was at Willy and we were aligned.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is one of the biggest errors when recruiting a KPF, sometimes recruiters overlook the traits of a KPD which can be the same as
for a KPF if not better, an example would be Tom McDonald from Melbourne, who saw that coming and yet he has the makings of
a wonderful KPF perhaps as good as any in the competition. Could Aaron Naughton or Lewis Young be the next Tom McDonald ?
Wouldn't that be awesome if we could turn one of our KPD into the KPF that we so desperately need.
If young Lewis could make it, it would be a huge win. Maybe the freedom to be the initiator might work for him.
Anyway I live on in hope that we may one day crack it for a good to great KPF while we have a pretty decent midfield to put him in front of!!

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trengove, Lloyd, Duryea, Dunkley, Lipinski, Gowers and English for mine.
I thought Lloyd and Duryea did well. Also didn't think Gowers was quite as bad as others said (just didn't impress). Trengove was awful though

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Might be going to wait on Picken, if he doesn't come up. Put him on the LTIL and have a look at exposed form and get a replacement in the mid season draft

Time is running out.
Yep one week from today and I don't believe we've applied to the AFL to have anyone train with us apart from Reuben William last month? The swans were granted permission for two to train with them this week.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Back on our history, one of the biggest draft busts we had was Tim Walsh. At pick 4 in early 2000s, he shoulda been the KPF to take us to a flag in the late 2000s......... but played just 1 game.

He. Was. Pick. 4.

I don’t know enough about his U18 form, but the risk is that you don’t take him (a la Franklin and Tambling) and forever live to regret it.

I think clubs (in particular ones that have difficulty in recruiting/trading) over reach - thinking they may not get the opportunity to grab a big KPD/KPF again.

Not saying Walsh was a good pick by any stretch.

Back on our history, one of the biggest draft busts we had was Tim Walsh. At pick 4 in early 2000s, he shoulda been the KPF to take us to a flag in the late 2000s......... but played just 1 game.

He. Was. Pick. 4.
From what i remember Walsh did his knee around the time he debuted and pretty much put an end to his career.

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From what i remember Walsh did his knee around the time he debuted and pretty much put an end to his career.

I know that he played his first and only game versus North Melbourne, kicked a goal with a mongrel floater and injured his finger, which kept him out the following week. And that was all she wrote.

I do remember that a major knock on him was his intensity. This BF board discussed it quite a bit. He had no mongrel at all and looked to be coasting most of the time.

He was probably the biggest draft bust that I can remember, considering our draft position and our needs at the time.

Looking back, that entire 2002 National Draft was a disaster for us with the exception of Big Wil. Our picks were: 4 Tim Walsh; 17 Cameron Faulkner; 20 Wil Minson; 33 Brad Murphy; 35 Scott Bassett; and 49 Cameron Wight.
One of Scott Clayton's special performances!

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looking back, that entire 2002 National Draft was a disaster for us with the exception of Big Wil. Our picks were: 4 Tim Walsh; 17 Cameron Faulkner; 20 Wil Minson; 33 Brad Murphy; 35 Scott Bassett; and 49 Cameron Wight.
One of Scott Clayton's special performances!

I was told that draft went nothing like as expected. Goddard and Wells were always going 1 & 2 but it was expected Brisbane would take Salopek at 3 and we wanted Brennan. We then though Mackie would last to 17 and Minson 20.
Geelong we’re keen on Walsh and we knew they were the only others interested in Mackie but they didn’t have another pick until after our Minson pick.

Let's face it. We stuffed every first round pick in the naughites eXcept for Griffen and Cooney who blind Freddie would have selected.

Walsh, Everitt, Grant, Sherman, Williams, Howard!!!! Ffs. How did we do it?
Hard to argue with Griffen who played 200 games for us but we missed out on probably the greatest KPF since Wayne Carey in that draft. Buddy went at pick 5. We took Griffen at pick 3 (at least it wasn't Tambling!)

Tom Williams was close to being "best of the rest" in a shallow draft that year. It was stacked at the top (Franklin, Griffen, Roughead, Deledio) but after pick 5 it fell away sharply. Even with hindsight the only obviously better selection was Jordan Lewis at pick 7. We took Williams at pick 6.

I suspect that Clayton had in mind we should select one A grade midfielder and one A grade KPP. Roughead was already gone (pick 2) so he went Griffen+Williams, but what if he'd decided to go the other way around? We could have easily ended up with Franklin and Lewis.

As for Williams I think he could genuinely play but his career was cruelled by injury. Hard to blame that on Clayton. With the benefit of hindsight I still can't find too many after Lewis that I'd have taken in preference to Williams (if he'd been able to stay fit).

You overlooked Ayce Cordy and Farren Ray by the way. How stiff were we that we had picks 1 & 4 in one of the shallowest drafts of all time. Cooney was a legit #1 pick but Ray would normally have gone about pick 12-25. Even at the time he didn't stand out as an obvious top 5 pick.

The ones I found least comprehensible though were Everitt, Howard and Sherman. Utter lunacy. At least the others had some sort of plausible logic even if they didn't work out.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Hard to argue with Griffen who played 200 games for us but we missed out on probably the greatest KPF since Wayne Carey in that draft. Buddy went at pick 5. We took Griffen at pick 3 (at least it wasn't Tambling!)

Tom Williams was close to being "best of the rest" in a shallow draft that year. It was stacked at the top (Franklin, Griffen, Roughead, Deledio) but after pick 5 it fell away sharply. Even with hindsight the only obviously better selection was Jordan Lewis at pick 7. We took Williams at pick 6.

I suspect that Clayton had in mind we should select one A grade midfielder and one A grade KPP. Roughead was already gone (pick 2) so he went Griffen+Williams, but what if he'd decided to go the other way around? We could have easily ended up with Franklin and Lewis.

As for Williams I think he could genuinely play but his career was cruelled by injury. Hard to blame that on Clayton. With the benefit of hindsight I still can't find too many after Lewis that I'd have taken in preference to Williams (if he'd been able to stay fit).

You overlooked Ayce Cordy and Farren Ray by the way. How stiff were we that we had picks 1 & 4 in one of the shallowest drafts of all time. Cooney was a legit #1 pick but Ray would normally have gone about pick 12-25. Even at the time he didn't stand out as an obvious top 5 pick.

The ones I found least comprehensible though were Everitt, Howard and Sherman. Utter lunacy. At least the others had some sort of plausible logic even if they didn't work out.

The other issue with that draft was the priority pick for Hawthorn after ONE year towards the bottom, not two years as it became.

Remove the second Hawks pick before Williams and we would have had one of Roughie or Franklin available....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back