Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need another aggressive tall. Boyd can be meek, Schache is a pussycat. L Young is more an interceptor and Fletch is stuck in the twos.

Naughton and Cordy show the required levels of aggression but that's it. Need to see more of this Gardiner kid before we can pencil him in as a mid-season draft pick-up.

The draft seems to be flush with clever small-medium forwards which will help fill an area of need at least.

Jack Martin would be deadly in our line up

I really don't understand this seemingly popular view at all.

Another game where he butchered the ball...
1 in every 3 possessions he's had for the season are ineffective,
25% of all his possessions are direct turnovers.
He's kicked 2.9

Our set-up already has far too many players who can't hit a target.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There were rumours that Dalrymple ultimately cracked it when Bev overrules his draft choice and insisted on Gowers. Is this true, and if so do we have any clue about who Dal was looking at?

just curious, not trying to start a s**t storm

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There were rumours that Dalrymple ultimately cracked it when Bev overrules his draft choice and insisted on Gowers. Is this true, and if so do we have any clue about who Dal was looking at?

Zac Clarke

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

Thought it was some kid in Qld that Dal wanted on rookie list and Bev wanted Gowers.

I maybe wrong but I think this wasn’t the reason why Dal wanted out he just wasn’t happy for many reasons

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yes that’s the way I heard it. Also heard he strongly disagreed with the recruitment of Schache.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes it matters, and yes we are not viewed as a good destination for indigenous players.

Can't name my sources, but I understand that this is true. Dunno how it has come about or how we can fix it.
Our track record is obviously poor. I remember we drafted Hill, Stack, Lynch and Harbrow all at the same time. Hill and Harbrow fled interstate and we reportedly effectively sacked Lynch over something like fibbing about rehab.

Ironically, we brought in Brett Goodes as a welfare manager to help with our indigenous players and before long they’d all left and he had pulled on the boots.

Appears we’ve tried but we’ve had a fair few leave in less than ideal circumstances.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dahlhaus was cooked. Not worth the amount that he wanted us to give him
Saw the interview with him at half time a few weeks back. Didn’t say a single nice thing about the club. Guys like Roughead at least throw in the obligatory ‘I’ll always be grateful’ but nothing from Luke.

The bloke was overlooked by all and sundry because he was a midget and a crap kick. We turned him into a 150+ game premiership gun. Even if things went sour for him he’s got a lot to be grateful for.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Power is inexperienced. Its a risk. Even less experienced than Dalrymple was and we recall his first draft. Power lost Dalhaus for not much after stating he was a major re-signing priority. Also lost Adams who he said he wanted to keep. And didn't get the Chad either.

Power has done well with Naughton but one swallow doesn't make a summer.
Not concerned about Adams and Dahlhaus who seemingly wanted out. What I want to see from the club (and this doesn’t fall squarely on Power) is to start bringing in clear best 22 players.

Crozier looks good and we’ve extracted value from Suckling (both were getting regular games at their old clubs at the time) but honestly I don’t see guys like Trengove, Lloyd, Duryea etc helping us climb the ladder much.

2016 was a great year to set the precedent and we only pulled off Cloke.

Want to see us get some good deals across the line. The Rocket era wasn’t perfect but Hudson, Aker, Welsh and Hall were all good for us and we got them done with no fuss.

Not concerned about Adams and Dahlhaus who seemingly wanted out. What I want to see from the club (and this doesn’t fall squarely on Power) is to start bringing in clear best 22 players.
The Lions have the best medical team in the comp and even they can't get Adams on the paddock.
No point being good if you can't play and sadly his body just lets him down.

Dahl was cooked with us, needed a fresh start. He helped us win a flag, good luck to him.

We need to play Caverra soon to see if he can play. Unfortunately we also have Lipinski banging the door down for a spot and Williams is best 22 when even close to in form.

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
With arguably one of the best midfields in the comp and a zone defense strategy that is working (so far) this season, should we be on the hunt for a proven KPF at seasons end, and if so, who is gettable?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With arguably one of the best midfields in the comp and a zone defense strategy that is working (so far) this season, should we be on the hunt for a proven KPF at seasons end, and if so, who is gettable?
Yes, but arguably no established KPFs are really gettable (at least no one decent).

We could always look at someone like Jake Waterman. He is 3rd in line behind Oscar Allen and Jarron Brander at the Eagles, but has so far kicked 5 goals in both WAFL games this season. Only problem is he's not the big F50 target we'd be wanting

Yes, but arguably no established KPFs are really gettable (at least no one decent).

We could always look at someone like Jake Waterman. He is 3rd in line behind Oscar Allen and Jarron Brander at the Eagles, but has so far kicked 5 goals in both WAFL games this season. Only problem is he's not the big F50 target we'd be wanting
Gardner? We could probably sign him mid-season if we wanted to, playing with Footscray so he knows our system.
If he has the capacity to play KPD as well I'd be all over him.

I do think we need a genuine gun small/medium forward. Dickson is close to the end and Lloyd has a year or two after this year. The draft supposedly has a few but I'm not sure we can wait if there is someone available we can chase.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardner? We could probably sign him mid-season if we wanted to, playing with Footscray so he knows our system.
If he has the capacity to play KPD as well I'd be all over him.

I do think we need a genuine gun small/medium forward. Dickson is close to the end and Lloyd has a year or two after this year. The draft supposedly has a few but I'm not sure we can wait if there is someone available we can chase.
Yeah I'm assuming we will take Gardner anyway, but he's not really a big name. More of a Redpath type of acquisition. Would love Gardner, another KPD, then as you said a decent small forward. Not sure who that would be to be honest. Jack Martin would be a great pick up but is unlikely, and then the pool of players gets even smaller

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Saw the interview with him at half time a few weeks back. Didn’t say a single nice thing about the club. Guys like Roughead at least throw in the obligatory ‘I’ll always be grateful’ but nothing from Luke.

The bloke was overlooked by all and sundry because he was a midget and a crap kick. We turned him into a 150+ game premiership gun. Even if things went sour for him he’s got a lot to be grateful for.
Would hardly call Dahlhaus a ‘gun’. Handy player at his best!

Looking at who is out of contract this season & next season, not many names stand out as far as KPP's go that aren't at the wrong end of their careers. Peter Wright should be the one targeted, but he is likely to be tempted to stay on a Tom Lynch type deal. Ben Brown the only other one I'd look at really, but he's a slow flopper with the turning circle of a cruise ship.

Would love to get a package deal from them giving away some good picks & get Jack Martin as well, that would completely transform our forward line. Martin or Billings & Wright or Brown would be best case scenario I feel unless someone unexpected really wants out.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know much about this Gardner fella? Can he play both ends and is he young?
He's 22 this year, previously played as a KPD at Geelong, and is now playing more as a KPF for our VFL side. Looks promising, I and many others feel he was prematurely delisted, but I guess it depends on what our club thinks when it gets to the mid-season draft

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know much about this Gardner fella? Can he play both ends and is he young?
Ryan Gardner 1/6/97
2016: 196 cm 89 kg 0 Games
2017: 198 cm 98 kg 0 Games
2018: 198 cm 98 kg 0 Games

Played mainly full back, hit weight to height fairly quickly.
Played well on Travis Cloke, Tom Boyd, Liam Jones and Jesse White in
the VFL, more scalps than the American Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back