Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's been suggestions that Jack Silvagni seek a trade this year if he doesn't get time in the seniors. Honestly wouldn't mind having a look at him, I thought he went alright in 2017. Got to wonder why he isn't being given another run at it, although the improvement of Weitering probably doesn't help him

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's an article on the AFL website about the potential mid-season draftees. Some that stood out:

Key Position Forward (besides Gardner)
Liam McBean
Was previously on Richmond's list. Won the VFL leading goalkicker as a 21 year old back in 2015 with 42 goals from 16 games. Took last year off footy to travel overseas, but has returned this year and kicked 9 goals for Glenelg in round 2 of SANFL in his second game back. Stands at 202cm and weighs 98kg.

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
Mainly mentioning him because he was previously rookie-listed with us. Club already would know about his deficiencies, so if he's worked on them during his time playing for Box Hill, then he might get a look at. Seems unlikely though

Luke Surman
Previously played for Hawks but quit in 2017 because of "losing passion for footy". Massive unit (196cm, 111kg) so mobility probably not a strength but provided he can actually take a mark he could make a decent forward target. Compared to Jon Patton

Small Forwards
Corey Rich
Genuine goalkicker who is playing some midfield time too. Playing for Frankston in the VFL, although may be too similar to Cavarra. Was seen as one of the best potential state league draftees last year but was overlooked. 183cm, 83kg

Adam Tipungwuti
Anthony's cousin. After his cousin kicked 7 last week, I'd be pretty keen on having a look at him. Very small frame (175cm, 65kg)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder where thia state league hype for NMM is coming from? Have seen him mentioned in a few articles now.
It's happening with a lot of previously AFL-listed players. Probably just anyone who looks even remotely decent and has been on an AFL list gets mentioned by default. In saying that, I thought he was more likely to succeed than Brad Lynch and Roarke Smith, so his delisting surprised me. Could also just be that I'm a terrible judge of quality :cool:

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There's an article on the AFL website about the potential mid-season draftees. Some that stood out:

Liam McBean
Was previously on Richmond's list. Won the VFL leading goalkicker as a 21 year old back in 2015 with 42 goals from 16 games. Took last year off footy to travel overseas, but has returned this year and kicked 9 goals for Glenelg in round 2 of SANFL in his second game back. Stands at 202cm and weighs 98kg.

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
Mainly mentioning him because he was previously rookie-listed with us. Club already would know about his deficiencies, so if he's worked on them during his time playing for Box Hill, then he might get a look at. Seems unlikely though

Luke Surman
Previously played for Hawks but quit in 2017 because of "losing passion for footy". Massive unit (196cm, 111kg) so mobility probably not a strength but provided he can actually take a mark he could make a decent forward target. Compared to Jon Patton

Small Forwards
Corey Rich
Genuine goalkicker who is playing some midfield time too. Playing for Frankston in the VFL, although may be too similar to Cavarra. Was seen as one of the best potential state league draftees last year but was overlooked. 183cm, 83kg

Adam Tipungwuti
Anthony's cousin. After his cousin kicked 7 last week, I'd be pretty keen on having a look at him. Very small frame (175cm, 65kg)
Anyone know much about Harry Nolan? Described as an athletic key defender with strong endurance.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would we prioritise kpd's, kpf's or a speedy small pressure forward in the mid season draft as all are big needs?
Im torn.
Id probably go for kpf and a speedy small type.
Depends on what happens with Boyd I think, plus whether Roberts can actually provide anything for us. Boyd comes in and performs (but Roberts doesn't), then we need a KPD. Roberts comes in and performs (but Boyd doesn't) then we need a KPF. Both perform, grab best available. Neither perform, we are cooked.

Also we currently only have 1 spot available (Picken) since Morris is still TBC. A speedy small pressure forward is still a big need for us, but I would hope we just recruit Ryan Gardner (who could arguably go either end) if we are limited to just 1 spot, then try for the small forward in the draft/trade period.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know much about Harry Nolan? Described as an athletic key defender with strong endurance.
Round 1 - 4K, 4H, 3M, 0T
Round 2 - 6K, 4H, 5M, 1T

Anyone know if he's more of a lockdown defender? Because those are some unimpressive stats from the first 2 rounds, but obviously stats don't always tell the full story. Dale Morris doesn't usually look much better on a stat sheet.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Naughton, Schache and TJ Boyd to return, I doubt we go for a key position forward. I would think a dead-eye small forward would be more of a need or a mature ruckman.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Depends on what happens with Boyd I think, plus whether Roberts can actually provide anything for us. Boyd comes in and performs (but Roberts doesn't), then we need a KPD. Roberts comes in and performs (but Boyd doesn't) then we need a KPF. Both perform, grab best available. Neither perform, we are cooked.

Also we currently only have 1 spot available (Picken) since Morris is still TBC. A speedy small pressure forward is still a big need for us, but I would hope we just recruit Ryan Gardner (who could arguably go either end) if we are limited to just 1 spot, then try for the small forward in the draft/trade period.
I really like roberts. He is a role player. I reckon he could slot into our team defence as it will mitigate his deficiencies. Oh well bevo knows best.

I really like roberts. He is a role player. I reckon he could slot into our team defence as it will mitigate his deficiencies. Oh well bevo knows best.

Roberts is fine as a defender (watch the PF again - he never put a foot wrong)
The problem Bevo has with him is his offence (or lack of it)

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jamie Elliot looks to have returned to some great form now that he's fit. Would we consider him as a Free Agent next year? Presumably we'll be without Dickson in 2020. Or, does Lipinski have more upside to a fit Elliot?

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Liam McBean

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh

Luke Surman

Small Forwards
Corey Rich

Adam Tipungwuti
Cody Hirst – Eastern Ranges (TAC Cup)
19yo, 180cm, 67kg

Mentioned this kid in the draft thread. He is light on right now but very quick and beat the all time agility record at the combine last year. With his goal sense and repeat efforts he could easily fit the small forward role.

What's the ruling for how we can keep these players post this year's season - no point drafting some TAC over-ager or young, improving state league who is still young if they go through the draft again.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
I'm a Gardiner fan, yet too early to make the call. I hope they give him some games in defence as well because we need an intercept marker.

Gardiner is strong at the ball in the air so that's a massive plus.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm a Gardiner fan, yet too early to make the call. I hope they give him some games in defence as well because we need an intercept marker.

Gardiner is strong at the ball in the air so that's a massive plus.
Kicked 4 goals in round 1 and 2 in round 2, and has proven to be a strong target up forward so far. I'm happy to recruit as a KPF, but as you said it would be great to see how he goes down back too since that seems to be the more pressing need. Played as a KPD when on Geelong's list so I'm sure he can't be too bad

What's the ruling for how we can keep these players post this year's season - no point drafting some TAC over-ager or young, improving state league who is still young if they go through the draft again.
They will be on a 10 week contract but can have that extended prety much imediatly subject to salary cap. So if both parties are happy they can be put on a regular contract without having to go through the end of year draft.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder where thia state league hype for NMM is coming from? Have seen him mentioned in a few articles now.
Probably because they are the main candidates for the midseason draft, and because of it being the first time, they are trying to generate plenty of content around it I guess.

- Clubs must have a rookie-list spot available or a registered inactive player to be eligible to participate in the draft
- If an inactive, injured player is fit to play before the season ends, a club can apply to return that player to the primary list in place of another long-term injured player
- Players must have nominated for the most-recent National Draft or previously been on an AFL list
- Players who have committed to another year with a Northern or Next Generation Academy are ineligible
- A delisted player can't be re-selected by the same club in the period following their delisting
- A retired player, such as Cyril Rioli, or a player who delists himself must be out of the AFL for at least one full season to be eligible
- Players must submit their contract terms when nominating
- A player on a short-term contract ending on October 31 the same year receives a minimum of $50,000, with a further $20,000 if they are not re-signed or picked up as a delisted free agent
- A player on a contract that ends on October 31 the following year is subject to the same terms as any other player
- An AFL club can re-sign a player as per the current rookie-list rules, otherwise the player becomes a delisted free agent
- The AFL will send the full nomination list to all AFL clubs and state league bodies
- An AFL club must pay 50 per cent of any advance payments to a drafted player's previous club before they are eligible to play a game
- Drafted players who stay in their original state cannot play against their former club unless all parties agree
- A player can return to their former club for finals if their services are no longer required by the AFL club that drafts them

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Players selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be able to negotiate terms of a new contract beyond 2019, just like any other listed player.

Meantime, it is also believed that any player selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft that is not retained by their club, or selected by any other club at the end of 2019, will receive a financial sum of around $20,000.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Players selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be able to negotiate terms of a new contract beyond 2019, just like any other listed player.

Meantime, it is also believed that any player selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft that is not retained by their club, or selected by any other club at the end of 2019, will receive a financial sum of around $20,000.
Is it a ladder based draft, carlton pick 1 and so on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back