Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are clearly going to land a big fish now in the next year or two.

Exciting times.

Sad situation with Tom but glad he didnt bend the club over.

Who are the big money free agents this year.

Now worth a real splash.
No one interesting, pretty much everyone has either signed up, or is 28+ (besides Cogs who isn't a need for us). Best target I can think of is Astbury, or maybe even Ed Curnow if the rumours of us targeting a top 5 player at Carlton are true (helps with luring Charlie over). Although I think that's pretty unlikely. The other one I don't really see anyone talk about is Masten. One of the best gut runners in the AFL, just got dropped from the Eagles side, would fit in nicely on a wing for us for a couple years until he retires

I said it last year and i will hope the club ask. Darcy Moore is the man. Collingwood cap squeeze is on massively. If we could somehow land him. Him and Naughton for 10 years both can play either end of the ground and with English in the Ruck. if schache became a decent 2nd forward boy we would be hard to beat in coming years

Had a look at the players entering free agency in 2020 (since there was so much hype over the "pre-agency" stuff last year, especially with Shiel and Neale moving clubs). The most notable players that we'd realistically be interested in are:
  • Grundy (he's either going for Collingwood or SA, almost zero chance of this happening)
  • Joe Daniher (arguably the most untouchable F/S in the AFL, zero chance)
  • Jeremy Cameron (really hope we are in the conversation here. He's a *******, but would be perfect for us and we have the cash)
  • Lachie Whitfield (no way this happened, but holy s**t imagine the running power between him, Richards and JJ)
  • Zac Williams (as above)
  • Isaac Smith (turns 31 this year, but Hawks would let him go for peanuts if the last few years are anything to go by. Very good winger who could play for a couple of years and provide vital leadership)
  • Jack Darling (doubt he ever leaves the Eagles, but with Allen and Waterman pushing for his spot, crazier things have happened)
Not much there that would have much chance of happening, so I imagine we'd look at other contracted players instead and hope our 2020 1st goes far enough to satisfy any trade demands. Really hope this Carlton rumour is true, and that McKay is the target

Coniglio, Tomlinson and Astbury the picks of the FAs to me. It's not a very good FA class this year IMO.

Trades may be the way this year.
Tomlinson is supposedly set to re-sign before year end. He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to leave, so I don't like our chances. Coniglio would be wasted with us, considering we would already be dedicating some decent resources towards Bont, Macrae and Hunter in our midfielder, among others. Astbury would be ideal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomlinson is supposedly set to re-sign before year end. He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to leave, so I don't like our chances. Coniglio would be wasted with us, considering we would already be dedicating some decent resources towards Bont, Macrae and Hunter in our midfielder, among others. Astbury would be ideal
I don't believe anything till pen has been put to paper.

Is Peter Wright worth a top 10 pick? I’d want something else in return.
He's worth a late 1st in my opinion, but Suns would be wanting top 10 pick surely. If we had, say Pick 8, I'd want at least their 2nd rounder back if that was the trade. I like Wright, but don't like the likely price tag

You wouldn't do it or Collingwood wouldn't do it?

I don't think he would leave but would love to ask the question. They will lose some1 with there contract up so worth a try
They won't let Moore go for a 2nd to 1st rnd pick upgrade. Unless I've read your post incorrectly?

Leaves us very short on ruckmen this year - English, Trengove, Sweet, Daniel?
And only one of those four is a premiership player.

If Trengove and English both got injured we'd be in deep trouble. Boyd's retirment increases the likelihood that we'll be somewhat focussed on 2019 needs rather than the long term with at least one of our 2 MSD picks - I presume we now get two. And that it will be a genuine tall. Could be Gardner but could be some smokey not in discussions yet.

Lewis Young and Cordy can chop out but you wouldn't want to see them ruck for a whole senior game.

No one interesting, pretty much everyone has either signed up, or is 28+ (besides Cogs who isn't a need for us). Best target I can think of is Astbury, or maybe even Ed Curnow if the rumours of us targeting a top 5 player at Carlton are true (helps with luring Charlie over). Although I think that's pretty unlikely. The other one I don't really see anyone talk about is Masten. One of the best gut runners in the AFL, just got dropped from the Eagles side, would fit in nicely on a wing for us for a couple years until he retires

I’ll lose all faith in this club if we sign Ed Curnow. The blokes a worse decision maker than Ben Cousins. He’s stealing a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back