Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Hawks have to continue including Vickery's salary in their cap after his premature retirement?

Yes but that was due to free agency. We have also confirmed the contract for 2020 & 2021 is being cancelled, so we won’t need to declare it as he won’t be a registered player

Work mate reckons we still have to count Boyd’s contract in salary cap until it expires. Reckons that’s the risk of long term deals like Boyd/Franklin contracts. I said that doesn’t sound right. Cocky Hawk fan, he isn’t right is he? Didn’t sound right to me and haven’t seen anyone say it on here.
Somebody did suggest that soon after the news broke and it's also been reported that Barrett is pushing that line.

I assume the logic of the Franklin arrangement was because it runs past normal age of retirement it was perhaps a way for the Swans to rort the cap. They would say "we can't pay you any more than this amount for the next 5 years because of the salary cap but we'll guarantee to continue paying you for a few years after you retire, so you'll still get the same amount you're asking for, just over a longer period".

That would be against the spirit of the TPP and because the AFL supplies the dough and maintains close scrutiny over the TPP they might have amended the rules to insist on his post-retirement pay coming out of the Swans' cap. Buddy would probably have to stay on the Swans list for that to happen too. I'm guessing a similar line is being argued for the Boyd situation.

However it was always expected Boyd would play for at least the full 7 years - there was never any suggestion that we were pulling a shonky deal - so the circumstances are different. Also the key difference is Boyd is forgoing any salary past 2019 whereas Buddy will continue to be paid even if he stops playing (at least I think that's the plan). Chris Grant said in his press conf that Boyd would stay on our list until the end of 2019 and would then be officially de-listed and not paid after this year.

So if they enforce it with Boyd surely they also enforce it with every player who retires before his contract expires - eg Clay Smith, Grigg, etc?

I guess we wait and see. You can never tell with the make-it-up-as-we-go AFL.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Somebody did suggest that soon after the news broke and it's also been reported that Barrett is pushing that line.

I assume the logic of the Franklin arrangement was because it runs past normal age of retirement it was perhaps a way for the Swans to rort the cap. They would say "we can't pay you any more than this amount for the next 5 years because of the salary cap but we'll guarantee to continue paying you for a few years after you retire, so you'll still get the same amount you're asking for, just over a longer period".

That would be against the spirit of the TPP and because the AFL supplies the dough and maintains close scrutiny over the TPP they might have amended the rules to insist on his post-retirement pay coming out of the Swans' cap. Buddy would probably have to stay on the Swans list for that to happen too. I'm guessing a similar line is being argued for the Boyd situation.

However it was always expected Boyd would play for at least the full 7 years - there was never any suggestion that we were pulling a shonky deal - so the circumstances are different. Also the key difference is Boyd is forgoing any salary past 2019 whereas Buddy will continue to be paid even if he stops playing (at least I think that's the plan). Chris Grant said in his press conf that Boyd would stay on our list until the end of 2019 and would then be officially de-listed and not paid after this year.

So if they enforce it with Boyd surely they also enforce it with every player who retires before his contract expires - eg Clay Smith, Grigg, etc?

I guess we wait and see. You can never tell with the make-it-up-as-we-go AFL.

I just read a good explanation of it online. It's only in the case of RFAs that a contract has to be counted towards the salary cap for its entirety. All other contracts can be torn up if mutually agreed on. The Buddy one isn't specific to him, it's the case for all RFAs. Would be insane for the AFL to adjudicate that case-by-case. It's basically a rule to prevent anyone exploiting RFA.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is not a single reason I can think of that would make Carlton want to do that trade, even if you had pick 1... why would they?
It mightn't be about what Carlton wants, it could come down to what the player wants to do. Do you really want to keep a player that doesn't want to be there.
It could create a toxic situation, not ideal when trying to build cohesion.
Having said that it's all very speculative right now.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Work mate reckons we still have to count Boyd’s contract in salary cap until it expires. Reckons that’s the risk of long term deals like Boyd/Franklin contracts. I said that doesn’t sound right. Cocky Hawk fan, he isn’t right is he? Didn’t sound right to me and haven’t seen anyone say it on here.
We only have to count what we pay him and he has agreed to tear up contract for 2020 & 2021 so only have whatever sum it is for this year left. Buddy is a different case as the AFL was p!ssed at Swans, they wanted Buddy to go the Plastics. So they have to take the full contract for the entire duration even if he has a career ending injury or retires

We only have to count what we pay him and he has agreed to tear up contract for 2020 & 2021 so only have whatever sum it is for this year left. Buddy is a different case as the AFL was p!ssed at Swans, they wanted Buddy to go the Plastics. So they have to take the full contract for the entire duration even if he has a career ending injury or retires
It's for FAs only - to stop teams offering a mega-contract so the losing club gets band 1 compo, then have that contract terminated later.

We traded for Tom, giving up pick 6 and our captain at the time so certainly weren't rorting AFL rules.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Lol that’s definetly wrong! Would only be the case if we had to pay him out

0utsider

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Damien Barrett seemed to say something along those lines on Footy Feed on the afl website last night, but didn’t elaborate.

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Ugle Hagen looking a gun prospect next year we don’t really need our first rounder.

I say we throw a huge deal at McKay and offer the blues our 2019 and 2020 first rounder for either their 2019 or 2020 second rounder. The blues will be looking to jump higher up the draft this year, particularly after their poor performance and if Adelaide finish high on the ladder.

Any chance we make a play for Marlion Pickett?
Reckon he's a bit too old for us.
Dogs would probs want someone around the 25 and under range to build with this core for long term

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Can we take Josh Kelly in the mid-season draft? Is Pickering his manager, I'm sure he could wangle it?

Then in 2-3 years when Tom Boyd is in a better place, he nominates for the draft wearing a Ralph Malph hair-piece and face mask under the name Hitch Moneychurch, and is snapped up by us with pick 86, and after revealing his true identity, goes on to become a triple premiership player, becoming the first 200cm rebounding HBF in history, and eventually co-coaches the Bulldogs in the first ever tri-coach arrangement with Bont and Bevo (the three Bs) to 10 consecutive flags combining new migrant communities from Ballarat of Masai tribesmen and Kalahari Bushmen tailored to a high leaping contested marking team underpinned by a bunch of crafty psuedo-Caleb precision-kicking San. Gordo takes over the AFL in a bloodless coup (well except for the accidental destruction of Czech Automobile Stadium) and each year ad infinitum we are allocated 15 home games at Tamara Oudyn/Chris Hemsworth Stadium at Docklands, 4 'away' games at Mars/MD Stadium, Ballarat, and 3 back-to-back 'heritage' games (all against Carlton) at VUWO with the status of blockbusters. I thought this was a dream I had last night, but it was so clear I think it was actually a vision...

(Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up drinking/smoking/glue sniffing/amphetamines...)

1558072109493.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back