Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Reid option should be looked at heavily. Ben Reid. Far better than all the secondary forward options we have. I think clubs get rid of the 30 plus players too quickly sometimes.
If he's cheap, we can add him to the 'you're not a washed up tall forward until you're played for Footscray' list.

TBH I do think we need a mature tall forward though, just to allow Naughton to develop and see who really wants the second KPF spot from our younger brigade. I've changed my tune and would even take Josh Jenkins for two years, otherwise target one of the 8000 Freo talls as they can't play them all.

Ben Reid and Alex Sexton are two names I would be interested in as Free agents. Does anyone know if they have resigned during year? Maybe even have a look at reuniting Sam with Ben. Ben has played well this year but very injury prone so a risk. Would be a good foil for Naughton or help down back.
Sexton re-signed earlier in the year.
Ben Reid might be gettable as it seems Mason Cox is the Pies focus now

My apologies I wasn’t aware only WA people that live in Victoria are the only ones that go home.

Would u like me to be completely @nal and list the dozens of WA players that have gone home from Vic?
yes please

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
yes please
Might be missing a few, but the relevant names I can think of would be:
  • Chris Judd
  • Scott Selwood
  • Jeff White
  • Heath Black (although he eventually returned)
  • Leigh Brown
  • Adam McPhee (another who later returned)
  • Trent Croad (bounced between Hawks and Freo)
  • Robbie Warnock
  • Chris Tarrant (bounced between Pies and Freo)
  • Lachie Weller to the Gold Coast (not Vic I guess)
  • Hayden Crozier
  • Harley Balic
Most of those are courtesy of Fremantle and their questionable draft/trade history, but there is no shortage of players who have moved back home, regardless of which states we're talking about

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
I've changed my tune and would even take Josh Jenkins for two years, otherwise target one of the 8000 Freo talls as they can't play them all.

Jenkins would be a massive salary dump for Adelaide, they'd love for someone to take on the contract that they signed while he was playing well and immediately went to s**t.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In my experience, everyone who moves to Melbourne from Perth is very happy to be away from there. Melbourne is undoubtably one of the best places to live in the world if you can afford it and he definitely can. Plus he’s punching massively so if the missus wants to stay he’s going nowhere.
Jesus Christ dude, no wonder Melbourne is viewed as being filled with the most pretentious people in Australia. This statements reminds me of the Clooney Oscars speech from the mid 00's

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jenkins would be a massive salary dump for Adelaide, they'd love for someone to take on the contract that they signed while he was playing well and immediately went to ****.
We could afford to take him on for a couple of years at high wage, if there was no trade cost. The guy has consistently averaged around 2 goals/game for years (sometimes higher) and would provide a lot more structure up forward alongside Naughton/Gardiner/Young/whoever else we play up there

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
We could afford to take him on for a couple of years at high wage, if there was no trade cost. The guy has consistently averaged around 2 goals/game for years (sometimes higher) and would provide a lot more structure up forward alongside Naughton/Gardiner/Young/whoever else we play up there

For a 30yo that has no physicality and will be completely useless the instant he loses his pace since he'll no longer be able to get joe the goose goals.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In my experience, everyone who moves to Melbourne from Perth is very happy to be away from there. Melbourne is undoubtably one of the best places to live in the world if you can afford it and he definitely can. Plus he’s punching massively so if the missus wants to stay he’s going nowhere.

May I ask how many places other than Melbourne have you lived in your life?

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Jesus Christ dude, no wonder Melbourne is viewed as being filled with the most pretentious people in Australia. This statements reminds me of the Clooney Oscars speech from the mid 00's

It's been ranked as the most livable city in the world for many consecutive years. It's just an objective truth based on many measurable factors.

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's been ranked as the most livable city in the world for many consecutive years. It's just an objective truth based on many measurable factors.
Perth has also been rated very high on those rankings (sometimes higher than Melbourne) until the economy dropped in the last couple of years, so I'm not sure how that really has anything to do with whether people leave. Apart from rare cases like Lachie Neale, usually people simply move to be closer to family, or to get more money. Anyone who thinks Melbourne is somehow a tier above the rest has clearly never lived in or visited places like Perth or Adelaide

Perth has also been rated very high on those rankings (sometimes higher than Melbourne) until the economy dropped in the last couple of years, so I'm not sure how that really has anything to do with whether people leave. Apart from rare cases like Lachie Neale, usually people simply move to be closer to family, or to get more money. Anyone who thinks Melbourne is somehow a tier above the rest has clearly never lived in or visited places like Perth or Adelaide

Maybe I'm old and crazy, but I agree with you on Adelaide.

Last edited:

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Harry McKay is signed with Carlton until the end of 2021. Does he have enough up-side in his game to be worth targeting? Or, is it just that the only decent game I have seen him play was against us?

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And that’s fair enough

Adelaide and Sydney are the two places I’ve spent time or lived in I’d never go back to if I didn’t have to.
Fully agree on Sydney - I genuinely see no upside to the place. It's basically a less cultured, more crowded, more dangerous and more expensive place than Melbourne. If I wouldn't live in Melbourne, I sure as hell wouldn't return to Sydney. Going there twice for relatively short periods of time was enough for me

Tim English has a zero percent chance of leaving for WA.

How do I know this? Have you seen his gf? He aint leaving Vic, especially with her now getting a run with the Melb Vixens.

Safe as houses.

You are aware that they play Super Netball in WA and that the team is the WEST COAST Eagles aligned WEST COAST Fever. Right?

If we are going to run this as our main argument for his retention, then I would suggest that we are on flimsier ground than the 'news' that this ridiculous trade talk is based on.

And there is more chance of me winning Australian of the Year than getting him in the red white and blue
Yes. MD for Australian of the Year*. Where do I find a nomination form?

* OK, I'm an unprincipled whore, but if it'll increase our chances of getting us Harry McKay ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back