Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people want Isaac Smith. I just don't get it. He is 31 it's a big no from me

Because he’d instantly make us a much better team and we lack experience, speed and outside run.

So it’s all about the price. I wouldn’t want to give up a top 30 pick for him, but if the trade price was ok, I’m all in.

We are ranked dead last in the comp for Contested Marks against, Inside 50 Marks against and Goals against.

Alex Keath has to be near the top of our list. Elite quickness, contested marking, intercept marking and rarely loses one on one's (23%...Cordy is 41%).

Probably his only chance for a decent paycheck so may just be tempted by the right offer.

Because he’d instantly make us a much better team and we lack experience, speed and outside run.

So it’s all about the price. I wouldn’t want to give up a top 30 pick for him, but if the trade price was ok, I’m all in.
Has been the best pure wingman in the league for the best part of a decade. I'm with you Fronk, sign him up.

We are ranked dead last in the comp for Contested Marks against, Inside 50 Marks against and Goals against.

Alex Keath has to be near the top of our list. Elite quickness, contested marking, intercept marking and rarely loses one on one's (23%...Cordy is 41%).

Probably his only chance for a decent paycheck so may just be tempted by the right offer.
Bundle up one of our 3rd rounders with Bailey Williams and just hope that Adelaide go for it. We'd be mad not to enquire

Bundle up one of our 3rd rounders with Bailey Williams and just hope that Adelaide go for it. We'd be mad not to enquire
He is out of contract so if we can put a decent offer in front of him and he nominates us then we should be able to land him.

I still rate Williams highly. Still only 21, is starting to build the body of an AFL player and has what we lack, penetrating kicking. I'd be more inclined to offer Lewis Young who I don't hold much hope for making it long term.

No way in hell we get Butters for Williams. BW has bugger all currency right now, third round pick at best. No gettable Port players that I want at first glance. Crows will be it if he goes to SA. Williams for Jenkins is my guess, with maybe some pick swaps involved as well.

Looks like Crows will have pick 1 in draft from Carlton, if we end up with pick 3 or 4 what would it take to swap pick 3 or 4 for 1

Williams + what ?

I’d be more than happy to get Smith, as long as it’s for nothing inside the top 50 draft picks...
Don't tell that to any Hawks' fans, you'll give them an aneurysm. Some on their board are suggesting he might net them a 1st rounder :drunk:

Looks like Crows will have pick 1 in draft from Carlton, if we end up with pick 3 or 4 what would it take to swap pick 3 or 4 for 1

Williams + what ?
Williams + Young + Pick 3/4 + Pick 21/22. The cost would be massive, and not remotely worth it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be against getting them, just not at that price.
Sam Mitchell was pick 88 as a best 22 player, Jordan Lewis was a small upgrade in the 3rd and 4th round as a 30 year old, Luke Hodge a freebie.

Breust would probably be retained as I dare say Poppy goes at the end of the year & ditto Roughy (to GC).

If we are looking to trade our first rounder away (and I'd be far happier trading away our 2020 pick as with Jamarra/Ewan we'll need points not high picks) I'd want a key plank to our side, not a fringe contributor which those guys would be. Keith or Greenwood from Adelaide, with change.

We're not much of a destination right now and we've nailed the hell out of our first rounders in the past few years and coincidentally this year most of the first round picks are forward/mids which we sorely lack. If we miss out on a first round pick worthy target this year it won't be the end of the world.

I'd even take a Josh Jenkins for a year or two and look for a Dicko replacement as Lloyd has been fantastic for us as a cheapie late pick trade.
I think Breust and Smith have a lot more gas in the tank than Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell though.

As I said in my proviso, the trade has no chance if Clarko gets his way and they top up with the likes of Coniglio and Patton etc. however if they decide as a club to do a full blown rebuild, there’s a huge chance. We’ll have a pick they’d love. I’d much prefer to trade our 2020 pick as well, but not sure hawks would be all that interested in that.

Maybe I’ve been generous in terms of the trade I suggested, I’m purely spitballing here and throwing up my guesstimate on what it would take to get it done.

I agree that Smith would be a fringe contributor, disagree about Breust. Think he would be hugely important to us. Hence why I’d offer that much for him.

Certainly not against Greenwood or Keith although I haven’t seen much of them.

Agree with you about not being a destination club, and our work with recent early picks. I think landing a big fish might help us attract others though. Results are most important though. Playing style would also be a factor. Haven’t heard much about this year’s draft crop. Agree we need forwards, disagree we need mids. Think we’re fine for mids. Maybe some additional depth coming through would be nice but a midfield group of Bontempelli, Macrae, McLean, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter and Smith is good enough for me. Wallis can help in there as well.

Another early pick isn’t the worst thing in the world but I’d much prefer to move it on provided a piece to our puzzle becomes available. Think we need to start topping up with mature players now.

Don’t think we need a Jenkins type. Think Schache could be that type for us. We need any type of forward. If they’re a good mark, quick, have elite defensive pressure, X factor or are a good shot at goal we should be asking questions about them.

What I reckon we need:

An experienced key defender- someone who can take and limit the number one key forward, allowing our second and third talls to play on the players they should be on.

Need to play Lewis young and see what he’s got - can’t learn much more in the vfl.

A solid experienced key forward - just need someone who can draw the oppositions number one key back, who can kick 30-40 goals a year and allow Naughton and Schache to get the second and third defenders.

A small forward or two with speed and goal nous - we lack genuine pace and pressure up forward and players who are natural forwards who can finish.

We have the cap space to use. We have the picks to trade this and next years first rounders and we are that young of a side we can afford to miss the top end of the draft for a year or two especially with ugle-hagan.

I think Trengove can help English in the ruck if we get a key back or we get a ruck forward rather than a pure forward. I don’t like the English forward to fix the forward line all it does is demands he be the key man in another position, I’d rather he keep playing ruck and spend short spells forward.

Our mids are good enough to win the contest even when beaten in the ruck and English is only getting better but does need a better chop out. Whether that’s Trengove or a ruck-forward I’m not sure

He's also the best tall defender we've had since Lake and IMO is more likely to reach his potential there.
So I'd move him back, but I know opinions are divided on that one. I'm just happy to have him on the list, wherever he plays.
Impressed with him too and he could play at both ends over the course of a game. The coaches are so inflexible with his positioning and the last two games have proven how stubborn they are with naughts. If he was a swingman we may even develop a plan b as we are so easy to play against with such adherence to the one plan. Different plan but similar to the one dimensional crack in of the previous coach.

Impressed with him too and he could play at both ends over the course of a game. The coaches are so inflexible with his positioning and the last two games have proven how stubborn they are with naughts. If he was a swingman we may even develop a plan b as we are so easy to play against with such adherence to the one plan. Different plan but similar to the one dimensional crack in of the previous coach.
I have no doubt Naughty will play both ends down the track but the kids career as a forward is only a dozen games old and keeping him as a permanent forward for the time being is for his development not stubbornness imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back