Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a fair point - not that it matters as I've been told Hawks are interested, which all but rules us out as we've seen in the past with Impey and Wingard.

Day would be a great pickup, and hopefully not too many other clubs interested. Seems like every player we've shown even minor interest in is now being strongly linked with another club (Hill at Saints/Geelong, Tomlinson at Saints, Martin at Carlton) so I'm hoping we're not stuck with the scraps. Although I try not to read into this stuff too much since people lie and extrapolate way too much around here. So far just today, I've read supporters actually 'confirming' Hill to Saints, Martin to Carlton, Kelly to Eagles, Coniglio to stay, Patton to Hawks, Greenwood to Hawks, among others.
Makes sense for the Hawks.

Hawks landing everyone with no picks and a few academy/FS types to commit to this year...

Seems legit :think:
To be fair, if they did want to land all of Coniglio, Patton, Greenwood and Hill for example, I think they're more than capable of making it happen
  • Coniglio is a free agent, so no trade cost
  • Patton would be similar to Scully - cost them a 3rd rounder (Pick 48) or less. Possibly even just trading someone like Ceglar for Patton
  • Greenwood would cost no more than their 2nd rounder (currently Pick 24)
  • Hill is the only expensive one here. To make him happen, it requires a bit more creativity
To get Hill done, they could trade off a number of players who still hold decent value. If they brought in Patton, they could afford to lose someone like Gunston, who would just about pay for Hill entirely. That assumes Mitchell Lewis comes on soon and can replace him alongside Patton. Alternatively, offload Breust to another side in contention, and they'd get a late 1st or early 2nd at least. Pair that with a future 2nd, and Hill is paid for.

Unfortunately for us, Hawks being a "destination club" means they will basically always be able to find a way to secure top talent. They could bring in an enormous haul without compromising their draft position too much, while also paying below the market rate in salaries

To be fair, if they did want to land all of Coniglio, Patton, Greenwood and Hill for example, I think they're more than capable of making it happen
  • Coniglio is a free agent, so no trade cost
  • Patton would be similar to Scully - cost them a 3rd rounder (Pick 48) or less. Possibly even just trading someone like Ceglar for Patton
  • Greenwood would cost no more than their 2nd rounder (currently Pick 24)
  • Hill is the only expensive one here. To make him happen, it requires a bit more creativity
To get Hill done, they could trade off a number of players who still hold decent value. If they brought in Patton, they could afford to lose someone like Gunston, who would just about pay for Hill entirely. That assumes Mitchell Lewis comes on soon and can replace him alongside Patton. Alternatively, offload Breust to another side in contention, and they'd get a late 1st or early 2nd at least. Pair that with a future 2nd, and Hill is paid for.

Unfortunately for us, Hawks being a "destination club" means they will basically always be able to find a way to secure top talent. They could bring in an enormous haul without compromising their draft position too much, while also paying below the market rate in salaries
This seems terribly fatalistic. Should we just roll over?

Let's manufacture our own destiny, not tug the forelock as soon as Hawthorn enters the market.

This seems terribly fatalistic. Should we just roll over?

Let's manufacture our own destiny, not tug the forelock as soon as Hawthorn enters the market.
Hawks were once in our position, and gradually built themselves up over time. There's no saying the Dogs couldn't achieve this, but it's also unrealistic to expect anything to change significantly in the short term. We have to rely on pre-existing relationships (through Bains and Bevo particularly) to secure bigger targets, or else be realistic about the fact that as soon as a bigger club throws their hat in the ring, it reduces our chances significantly.

Not saying the club shouldn't try, and we definitely shouldn't give up as soon as a big club becomes interested, but that we as fans should also acknowledge that we are not a destination club so we shouldn't criticise our list managers if they fail to land a big fish. I think Power has done a fantastic job since taking over, especially in the area of player retention, and I don't think that changes even if we do fail to land someone like Hill or Martin

Personally I think the Hawks' penchant for pushing their older players out in trades will come back to bite them a little bit. I daresay it's a part of the reason there's some discontent with Clarkson around.
I'm happy to take advantage - would take any of their 28+ players: Breust, Gunston, even Roughead or Frawley

Personally I think the Hawks' penchant for pushing their older players out in trades will come back to bite them a little bit. I daresay it's a part of the reason there's some discontent with Clarkson around.
100% agree. And as far as them being a destination club I think those days are numbered.

I think its important we temper our expectations. History shows that mids and small halfbacks/half forwards can be traded in with reasonable success due to the profile of the list they came from and clubs having surplus in those areas. Big key position players clubs tend to hang onto and give them time due to their rarity. And if they are easily traded out its usually for good reason.

We got a decent half season and a decent final out of Minton-Connell

Cookie was quality when he wanted to be

Both came pretty cheap IIRC and filled a role for a period, particularly Cookie

These two are exempt from the rest imo
Agreed. Cook kicked a few freakish bags but clearly lacked fitness. Minton-Connell was good for a time - a decent lead and chest mark but didn't have an 'overhead game'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame we didn’t go harder after Astbury. Apparently a few teams put in number indications and none were more than $1M higher across the Three years, ie. $333K+ per year more.
Always wanted to stay and no team was prepared to make a big play.

Perhaps we have another KPD lined up.... but I can see us ending up at the DFA market OR draft. 😞

Let’s hope we are going after Day & Tomlinson with a bit more money.

The more I think about it, the more I think Hill could be ours. Played with Duryea and Suckers, coached by Bevo, good trading history with Freo and we're one of the best young lists, so good prospect of success before retirement.

Going back to what Fronk said regarding Lloyd's comments about our bottom five. Hill would be a top 10 player for us with ease and would push a guy like Roarke down to VFL. Go hard Dogs!

Shame we didn’t go harder after Astbury. Apparently a few teams put in number indications and none were more than $1M higher across the Three years, ie. $333K+ per year more.
Always wanted to stay and no team was prepared to make a big play.

Perhaps we have another KPD lined up.... but I can see us ending up at the DFA market OR draft. 😞

Let’s hope we are going after Day & Tomlinson with a bit more money.

We have put a big money offer to Ben King. Rumour is he's homesick. Prefers us to Saints because he wants to play in a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back