Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The talk about Wallis is interesting. He’s great midfield depth, great for culture, and handy forward. But if we achieve most of our trade targets in the off season, he’s either border line best 22 or in emergencies.

At this stage of his career, is that what he wants? Given that he met and talked with other clubs less than 12 months ago, it’s not inconceivable that he could switch clubs. Given he met with Brisbane, he’s obviously open to an interstate move.

With our recent spate of re-signings and needing to make a certain amount of moves to bring in mature players and some draftees he’ll be an interesting player to watch, as will Jong for similar reasons even though both are contracted. Signing Jong for 2 years was a mistake.

Come on dog-watch was not quite "Khaloub Denial" quality, but it was up there. You must be inspired by
the ashes as that was a wonderfully executed forward defensive. ;)
Funny, that's exactly what I thought when I posted it: "I'll play this with a straight bat"!

Dixon is like Waite at Carlton - rarely, if ever, delivers.
Absolutely yes to Bruce, in a heartbeat. Can play both ends and competes well in the air. Schache doesn't really play like a KPP (more a roaming linkman), Bruce does.
I disagree, but mainly because I think it's Ports fault that Charlie hasn't delivered much since 2017. Last year, with Ryder out for so long, he was shoehorned into the ruck where he struggled a bit. The times he was able to play predominantly up forward, he did reasonably well, kicking 26 goals for the season. If you take away the 4 or 5 games he was forced to basically solo ruck, he averaged around 1.7 goals per game while rotating being forward and ruck. That's not a bad return.

Been down a bit this year, but I don't imagine he would cost much for us to bring him in, and worst case he draws a good defender which allows Naughton or Schache off the chain.

Would absolutely take Bruce if available

I disagree, but mainly because I think it's Ports fault that Charlie hasn't delivered much since 2017. Last year, with Ryder out for so long, he was shoehorned into the ruck where he struggled a bit. The times he was able to play predominantly up forward, he did reasonably well, kicking 26 goals for the season. If you take away the 4 or 5 games he was forced to basically solo ruck, he averaged around 1.7 goals per game while rotating being forward and ruck. That's not a bad return.

Been down a bit this year, but I don't imagine he would cost much for us to bring him in, and worst case he draws a good defender which allows Naughton or Schache off the chain.

Would absolutely take Bruce if available
If we’re bringing in Dixon forward we really need to sort the small/fast pressure forwards as well due to balance.

If we’re bringing in Dixon forward we really need to sort the small/fast pressure forwards as well due to balance.
I'd hope West and Cavarra can both find places in the forward pocket next year, although would like to find ourselves a decent established small. Even someone like Breust to cover us for the next couple of years until the younger guys can step up and Cav can find a place

Dixon can barely get on the park though.
Hear you hence he’d have to be the right price. IMO we have to do something to improve the second ruck option, don’t like seeing Naughts/Shack or Cordy/Dunks doing it. Maybe Sweet will continue to improve but he’s not a great forward target and I can’t see English playing second fiddle to him.

Best bet is to get involved with your draft picks in the player trades.

I assume you are primarily looking for KPP types?
We likely will primarily use our draft picks to get the right players. The club has really emphasised the focus on keeping the playing group together, and every required player is already contracted for next year.

We'd be looking for KPDs first and foremost, but might look to add some outside speed or smalls (hence our links to guys like Hill, Martin, Tippa)

We likely will primarily use our draft picks to get the right players. The club has really emphasised the focus on keeping the playing group together, and every required player is already contracted for next year.

We'd be looking for KPDs first and foremost, but might look to add some outside speed or smalls (hence our links to guys like Hill, Martin, Tippa)
I think Dale and Schache are required players, haven’t signed yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Dale and Schache are required players, haven’t signed yet
Schache is contracted for next year, but will need to be extended at some point.

As it stands, we have 9 more out of contract:
  • Bailey Dale
  • Bailey Williams
  • Buku Khamis (rookie)
  • Dale Morris
  • Fletcher Roberts
  • Lukas Webb
  • Roarke Smith (rookie)
  • Ryan Gardner (rookie)
  • Tory Dickson
Of those, Bailey Dale is the most important I think, but he's supposedly set to extend quite soon according to a few people on here.

Bailey Williams will probably request a trade.
Khamis will extend on the rookie list
Morris and Dickson could go either way - could both retire, could both extend by a year, who knows
Roberts is probably gone, as is Webb
Roarke and Gardner could be given another year, but neither are required players.

So basically, Trengove is the 2nd best in the competition for 1v1 contests? Seems like some of us may have underrated his season a little. Hopefully he trains as a full time KPD over the offseason, because he could arguably get even better.

God I hope there is some truth to those Hamling rumours too - would be great to get him back

For the life of me I don't know why, as I don't think speed, run & gun is any issue with your list.

So basically, Trengove is the 2nd best in the competition for 1v1 contests? Seems like some of us may have underrated his season a little. Hopefully he trains as a full time KPD over the offseason, because he could arguably get even better.

God I hope there is some truth to those Hamling rumours too - would be great to get him back
Yeah Trenners has been great 2nd half of the season, hasn’t had any bags kicked on him by any of the big forwards. He does put in the occasional howler of a turnover every now then, but overall, he’s been very solid. I think Cordy is the one that needs a new role, we desperately need to get another KPD to take Cordy’s place. Going forward into 2020, I don’t know what the coaches have in mind for Cordy. If we get another decent KPD for 2020, and Dale keeps his form up or we get Cavarra/West or Greene into the forward line, Cordy might be finding himself out of our starting 22.

For the life of me I don't know why, as I don't think speed, run & gun is any issue with your list.
I think to some outside viewers, we appear to be a hell of a lot quicker that we really are thanks to our gameplan heavily relying on rapid movement by hand.

When you actually look at our list, particularly our best 22, we have JJ and Richards who are both pretty quick, plus Dickson and Dunkley who can be surprisingly quick in short bursts, but not a whole lot more than that. We have guys who can run all day (Hunter, Schache especially) but don't have the McKenna, Saad, Hill, Whitfield types (besides JJ, but he's quite hot and cold). We really lack a dynamic small in particular.

We drafted Ben Cavarra last year, who was the quickest player in the entire draft, as well as Laitham Vandermeer who wasn't far behind, but neither have played this year. Vandermeer needs more development, while Cavarra has dealt with various injuries. We still need an injection of pace since we are honestly lacking a bit in that area. If JJ is on the bench, we really don't have that much speed out on the ground since Richards doesn't get enough of the ball

I expect as the years continue that Shache may turn into a Tom Lynch (crow) role, that linkman going into the forward 50, which would utilise his big tank, excellent kicking and good reading of the play while also getting him into the game. Can see that happening if Alex Keath were to join us with Zaine going forward, or with Lewis Young beginning to stake a claim as I think he has the potential to be a great player even if hes had a strange year

Eating my words on Trengove, since hes been full time back hes been fantastic. Yeah i cringe when he gets the ball but even that seems to be improving with confidence, and weve got enough good users around him its not a major concern. Very rarely beaten and no coincidence the rest of the backline is looking 1000x better with him playing his role.

Also people advocating trading Richards right now are ******* crazy. Just look at what guys like Dunks are doing now theyre hitting that right age. Richards has so so so much natural talent along with his athletic ability. And the right attitude to get there. Just give him time.
Doubt the club would entertain a Richards trade in the first place. The kid clearly has elite traits that will make him a star once he can find some consistency and confidence. Second year blues seem to be a real thing for him, but I'm confident he'll rebound and really start to hit his stride in the next year or two

Mihocek is soooooo underrated. He’d be amazing as a 3rd tall to compliment the 2 young lefty’s.

HF: Martin Naughton Mihocek
FF: McLean Schache Lloyd
If we are going to make stuff up then you should really shoot higher than Mihocek.

Sorry I know it wasn’t you that suggested it originally.

Besides most pies players are overrated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back