Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distinctive_

All Australian
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Scray
What’s everyones thoughts on Gowers? Had a great year last year, but has been pushed out of the side this year through a combination of poor form and emergence of Lloyd dale etc.

I might be one of the few that still hopes he can fix up a few areas to become the dicko replacement
Should at the very least have 2020 to prove his worth

What’s everyones thoughts on Gowers? Had a great year last year, but has been pushed out of the side this year through a combination of poor form and emergence of Lloyd dale etc.

I might be one of the few that still hopes he can fix up a few areas to become the dicko replacement

Cavarra will be the Dicko replacement imo. Just needs to prove fitness at AFL level. Bad luck this year.

Bro_Pro

All Australian
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think it’s to early to tell!! Another preseason and who knows what he can become. Worth holding onto.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Or just a personality clash? Clarko just might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Or simply thanks for your service and if you can get a better deal elsewhere and an extra year on your contract we will assist you get to where you want to go.

Unorth

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

If Gowers was in form this season all this Bruce talk never exists.

I reckon the thinking with Gowers was that he'd be the Crameri replacement we've been screaming for. He was our #1 guy last season (telling in regards to how bad we were up forward) and got some goals because of it, and was in decent form. If you took Gowers from last season and played him with Naughton and Schache up forward we'd all be having a great time. Not having a medium-tall contested marking forward that can run the ground (Crameri) is one of our weaknesses. Particularly when we have Naughton now running around and taking marks on the wing.

Unfortunately he's had just about as low a season as you can get. Even disappointing at VFL level. Poor goal kicking accuracy and his decision making around the ground, even though he's mobile enough to have small patches in the middle, has been woeful. Not sure about being a Dickson replacement - I think either Wallis or a recruit (ie AMT or Jack Martin or whoever) has that role pegged. If anything I'd say it's Bailey Dale that he'd be competing against, as we do like to get Dale starting in the goal square and taking advantage of the fact that Schache and Naughton occupy the other team's tallest/best defenders, and Dale can use his long arms to capitalise.

If we do get Bruce - or a Bruce type - it becomes very difficult to see Gowers in the side. Happy to give him one more season, if anything if we get injuries to our forwards at least we have a guy who can clunk marks in the reserves if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will make a fine addition to Footscray.
He would, will also add much needed cover to what is a very bare forward line. I also know he is rated very highly for his work ethic and competitiveness. I could see him developing into a solid key forward without the mismanagement of the blues having him do preseasons in defence like a reverse E.wood

Or simply thanks for your service and if you can get a better deal elsewhere and an extra year on your contract we will assist you get to where you want to go.

This is exactly how it is. Anybody that thinks otherwise needs to watch the episode of 'Bob' on Foxfooty where Murphy interviews Jarryd Roughead and he addresses this exact issue in the interview. Clarkson is a players coach and player welfare is always at the forefront of his thoughts. Roughy was given the option to pursue his career elsewhere last season or remain at the club without any guarantees and finish up as a one club player and he obviously chose the latter and had Clarksons full support to do so. I see no reason why it wouldn't have been the same with the other champions who decided to continue their careers elsewhere. That they chose to seems to in the end have been mutually beneficial for all parties and carried out with the minimum of angst. Like most things he has done as a coach, Clarkson has handled the generational transition at Hawthorn beautifully. When Burgoyne heads up to the Suns to play for a holiday house I expect Hawthorn to send him off with their blessings.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Have heard that Essendon have shown interest in McLean.
Also hawks have been in contact with Webb regarding wether he will be a possible dfa

What would they give us for McLean that we'd be happy about? Keep in mind he is contracted for four(?) more years. For me it would be Tippa and change. Toby is a lot younger but Tippa fits us better.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pat Kerr has just been delisted by the blues. I know the dogshad interest earlier in the year.
I've mentioned Kerr before but never had a good response,although I was howled down a couple of years ago for mentioning Liam Ryan,so it is the Internet after all.
I'm moderate on Kerr,but he'd be an upgrade on Gardiner. Still very young,seems more the lead up traditional FF type. Worth consideration.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suggested it weeks ago but if we aren’t into Betts for one year and into development and mentoring role we are missing a huge opportunity.

Tell me he wouldn’t prefer coming to a team that can contend compared to standing in a Suns forward line that won’t see the footy

JTCWBFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Knicks, Yankees
I suggested it weeks ago but if we aren’t into Betts for one year and into development and mentoring role we are missing a huge opportunity.

Tell me he wouldn’t prefer coming to a team that can contend compared to standing in a Suns forward line that won’t see the footy

I'm all for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back