Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left(ish) field option for that quick, outside wing role - Rory Atkins.

He has the pace we seek, is a leftie, RFA so potentially cost nothing but cap space of which we have plenty. Vic playing in SA, and an immediate upgrade on Hayes.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IF more teams follow the Giants recipe to beat us, they will target two strategies:
1) Physically attack the man
2) compress the field

The first we can work on internally by training against that. Optimistically we get Libba into the middle and use Bont as the forward who floats into the midfield. Get your rolls Royce away from the more congested scrum area.

The second, we need to target players who kick the ball lower, longer and faster, to break the lines. This is a big need and players like that are very valuable. Not sure where we can find one but I would target a contracted one with big money this year while we have lots of trade assets.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would love to get McLuggage from the Lions. Is a western districts boy, so might like to play in Ballarat in front of his friends. Certainly a really top quality youngster. It would hurt a potential competitor in the Lions, who appear ready to contend for the next few years.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else get the bad vibe we will miss out on all the names that have been mentioned for us?

We have been turned down by some very average footy players in the last few years.

Hope we don’t miss out on all options or I can’t see us improving

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would love to get McLuggage from the Lions. Is a western districts boy, so might like to play in Ballarat in front of his friends. Certainly a really top quality youngster. It would hurt a potential competitor in the Lions, who appear ready to contend for the next few years.
Can’t see him or the Lions being interested personally.

I’d offer them Hunter.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gees the pessimists are out. Too many disco bickies on the weekend.

This is a rinse and repeat comment from every year unfortunately.

We chase people we don’t get them

In the end we have to admit we can attract the talent we really want and never have

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else get the bad vibe we will miss out on all the names that have been mentioned for us?

We have been turned down by some very average footy players in the last few years.

Hope we don’t miss out on all options or I can’t see us improving
I am a bit, but the only one I feel very strongly about is Bruce. Yes, it's not great to miss out on Martin, and Keath going elsewhere wouldn't surprise me, but Bruce I actually have a very good feeling about, have always rated him, and think he'd fit us perfectly

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m pretty meh on Martin. The concern isn’t that you or I want him but that the club clearly did/do and have the cash and assets to do it. I’m not saying the sky is falling but the club need to understand why and do something about it. They would have targeted him a long way out so for the club to not get him is disappointing.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
VFL Best and Fairest

1: Tom Gribble (Werribee)
2: Rhylee West (Footscray)
3: Tom Campbell (North Melbourne)

BTC, made the top three.
BTC is too good for state leagues, but doesn't come close to replicating that form in the seniors. I can see why we delisted him, and it wouldn't shock me if North does the same this year despite his strong VFL form. Really good sign that West is already runner up as a 19 year old in his first season

SteelF6

Debutant
Nov 21, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we should pursue Shai Bolton. Uncontacted and I think Richmond would have to be up to the brink salary cap wise and we could come up with a much better offer (nothing ridiculous) that could force him to look elsewhere. Finally playing consistent AFL footy and could be ready to break out next year.
We should be all over him, but i believe he will resign.
BTC is too good for state leagues, but doesn't come close to replicating that form in the seniors. I can see why we delisted him, and it wouldn't shock me if North does the same this year despite his strong VFL form. Really good sign that West is already runner up as a 19 year old in his first season
Pity sure BTC got a 2 year contract extension some time this year.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
your campaign is both tiresome & witless

Since when is wit a prerequisite for posting on this board? Ask anyone who doesn't support the Dogs what they think of Schache. Most will laugh out loud. You have to be wearing red, white and blue shaded lenses to think he is AFL quality. Also the "talls take time" line is BS. Any decent key forward was better than Schache is now at the same age.

Some news:

1. Bruce is a certainty. Lock him in.

2. Keath is 50/50 at best. Don’t lock him in to your best 22s for next year yet.

3. Here’s the random one. The clubs exploring the possibility of acquiring Michael Hurley. Contracted forever, and I’m not across the possible motivations of Essendon to consider moving him just yet, but we’re looking at using our ridiculous cap space to try and land him.

paulveed

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2010
traf e
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
liverpool
Vandermeer doesn’t strike me as a very natural footballer. Seems to react a touch slow instinctually.
I feel he is still trying to adjust/work out, just when to use his balk and breakaway acceleration at an adult level. He has been caught a number of times, which I think sometimes makes him hesitate just that fraction of a second, something that he can't afford to do at the higher levels. I'm confident though, if he can get this aspect of his game sorted, and gain the self belief he had as a junior, his speed will become a serious weapon.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some news:

2. Keath is 50/50 at best. Don’t lock him in to your best 22s for next year yet.

3. Here’s the random one. The clubs exploring the possibility of acquiring Michael Hurley. Contracted forever, and I’m not across the possible motivations of Essendon to consider moving him just yet, but we’re looking at using our ridiculous cap space to try and land him.

Maybe he was underdone fronkalicious but Hurley looks like he has lost a yard.

Essendon have KPDs coming out of their ears so it does make sense that they might try offload him.

Excellent news about Bruce. Our forward line marking power will be formidable with him and Naughton.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some news:

If all Hurley cost was cap space and a late pick, picking up him and Bruce would be amazing. Makes us instantly competitive for the next 2-3 years, gives Lewis Young a bit more time to add some size without having too much pressure on his shoulders, and means we won't be pushed around like we were on the weekend.

Would've been nice to get Hurley all those years ago, but never too late. He turns 30 next year, so should still have another 3 years of good footy left in him at least.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe he was underdone fronkalicious but Hurley looks like he has lost a yard.

Essendon have KPDs coming out of their ears so it does make sense that they might try offload him.
Pretty sure I saw some Essendon fans saying Hurley was way underdone and shouldn't have even been playing. Hopefully it's just that, and not that he's cooked

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some news:

Thanks for the updates. Any idea what we are looking to give for Bruce and who else is keen on Keath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back