Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting chat around trading next year’s first along with some of this year’s picks to try and get another first rounder.

they are off base with playing naughton in defence, but their comment about getting rid of roughead who can play defence and backup ruck and then bringing in a player with identical capabilities in Trengrove is a head scratcher

their idea bout trading next years 1st rounder is smart.

As it currently stands, we may need to use this years 1st rounder for trades and next years 1st rounder for Marra. So one one thing that could be done is split next years 1st rounder into a 2nd rounder this year (for trades) and a second rounder next year (to help pay for marra along with some other picks)

that way we get our trade targets, marra AND keep pick 12 in this draft

Last edited:
I’m keen to know how everyone sees our key position structures with Keath and Bruce.

Can/should Schache, Naughton and Bruce all play forward?? I’m still not so sure how that will work. Although seeing Haynes play on rhylee west and just zone off all day to make life hard for Schache and Naughton on the weekend does make me think.

Just heightens the need for a legit speed merchant small forward if we do play the 3 talls. Dickson, Lloyd and McLean plus the talls ain’t gonna cut it.

Bruce would be the relief ruck (assuming Trengove doesn’t play)?

Keath and Cordy as key defenders? Trengove still has to play on the really big guys like Brown, Daniher, Lynch, Dixon, Wright and hawkins for mine. So maybe horses for courses with that. Cordy misses out if there’s no match up.

I think Bruce is a good fit for us as he is a power forward which neither Naughton or Schache are. I like any combination of Bruce/Naughton, Bruce/Schache, Schache/Naughton, but NOT all three! Too tall and too slow.
Also I really doubt Bruce will ruck for us.

As for Keath he seems like he's going to be the second coming (after Prudden) the way people on here are banging on. While I don't follow Adelaide closely I haven't seen him do anything sensational. However he does look like a strong lump of a lad so I can see us playing him alongside the lighter frames of Young and Cordy.
If the club backs Le.Young in next year I don't see a place for Trengove in the 22. Here's the team based on Naughton missing the start of the year as well as possibly Hunter and Wallis:

FB: Le.Young Keath Crozier
HB: Wood Cordy Dureya
CE: JJ Bontempelli Richards
HF: Maclean Schache Lipinski
FF: Dale Bruce Smith
FOL: English Dunkley Macrae
INT: Liberatore Daniel West Suckling

EMG: Jong Trengove La.Young Gowers

I'm really hoping Gowers get's his s#!+ together over the pre-season as I think he's an important piece of the puzzle. Also a big fan of Lachie Young so looking for him to add bulk over the pre-season. Both he and Gowers are the utility players we are crying out for.

To counter the we should draft Indigenous players in this years draft:

Even if we draft 2-3 young indigenous players, they still don't have a mentor in the locker room when times get tough if they are from interstate

I think Bruce is a good fit for us as he is a power forward which neither Naughton or Schache are. I like any combination of Bruce/Naughton, Bruce/Schache, Schache/Naughton, but NOT all three! Too tall and too slow.
Also I really doubt Bruce will ruck for us.

As for Keath he seems like he's going to be the second coming (after Prudden) the way people on here are banging on. While I don't follow Adelaide closely I haven't seen him do anything sensational. However he does look like a strong lump of a lad so I can see us playing him alongside the lighter frames of Young and Cordy.
If the club backs Le.Young in next year I don't see a place for Trengove in the 22. Here's the team based on Naughton missing the start of the year as well as possibly Hunter and Wallis:

FB: Le.Young Keath Crozier
HB: Wood Cordy Dureya
CE: JJ Bontempelli Richards
HF: Maclean Schache Lipinski
FF: Dale Bruce Smith
FOL: English Dunkley Macrae
INT: Liberatore Daniel West Suckling

EMG: Jong Trengove La.Young Gowers

I'm really hoping Gowers get's his s#!+ together over the pre-season as I think he's an important piece of the puzzle. Also a big fan of Lachie Young so looking for him to add bulk over the pre-season. Both he and Gowers are the utility players we are crying out for.

Naughton will be fine after Christmas break. Should be right round 1.

To counter the we should draft Indigenous players in this years draft:

Even if we draft 2-3 young indigenous players, they still don't have a mentor in the locker room when times get tough if they are from interstate

Exactly right. The whole idea of getting someone like Martin is a more mature head to help guide the young blokes through the unique challenges that come with being a young indigenous footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping that if we don't have a first/second round pick to spend on a pressure small forward we use our picks to get the best state league players in the country.

The multitude of early picks has to culminate into something. If they don't start pushing for finals soon, something is seriously wrong. Can't have that much talent on a list and not perform. Getting Doc back, brining in Martin and potentially Viney, and having the fresh start with the new coach, should mean that 9 wins is the bare minimum they're aiming for

Just sit back and watch them all go the way of Daisy Thomas. That's what happens when a club consistently goes for the dessert instead of having fruit & veg.

I'm hoping that if we don't have a first/second round pick to spend on a pressure small forward we use our picks to get the best state league players in the country.
I'm really hoping we can pick up Cody Weightman. He looks similar to Elijah Taylor, without the severe homesickness that would inevitably become a problem in a year's time

I'm really hoping we can pick up Cody Weightman. He looks similar to Elijah Taylor, without the severe homesickness that would inevitably become a problem in a year's time
He is the one in into at the moment aswell except I'm getting the feeling we won't have a pick until the 40s

I'm glad your source deems himself fit to speak on behalf/relay the thoughts of the entire indigenous playing community.

Does he wants to make himself the official spokesperson? Just like I'm sure all ethnic groups would like an unelected official spokesperson of <insert background nationality here> in Australia would like someone to speak on our behalf, and represent our views completely, on all matters, without our blessing.

Sorry for the sarcasm mate, but this is becoming ridiculous. Kobe Stevens and Joel Hamling came here and performed quite well, and Joel still speaks of us highly.

Can we do better to make the club more inviting to sections of the Australian community, probably. But for someone to speak of all indigenous players as a singular group with a singular view on our club is asinine.

FWIW I had a brief conversation with this person who I cannot name but knows what they talking about, and they said that our club is not viewed not favourably by indigenous players. Take that as you will.

He is the one in into at the moment aswell except I'm getting the feeling we won't have a pick until the 40s
With Martin not happening, don't be so sure. Between Keath and Bruce, we should still have a decent pick left over, especially since we surely move our 3rds around. Our Pick 12 and a 3rd rounder would surely cover both Bruce and Keath. That leaves us with something like 30, 41 and 46. Can probably trade up with Freo to get their Pick 24 (since it will be swallowed by Henry anyway, and this way they could use 30 to match then potentially have something left over). This puts us in the sweet spot where a ton of decent players will be up for grabs that should interest us

With respect to targeting Indigenous players for trade, I actually think it's a combination of reasons. Firstly, we want to build a solid structure before the NGA boys come in as Mofra suggests, which is just a player welfare issue we want to have sorted in advance. But we also hope that the side effect of that is that the perception of the club changes among the indigenous football community and more of the best indigenous players will see us as a top destination in the future.

Whether that current poor perception is earned or not, or even exists at all, is kind of moot.

Of course when looking at indigenous options to trade in, all this should be appropriately balanced against the required skill sets for the team in the here and now. We shouldn't just be throwing cash at a player because they have the right skin colour. But I have more faith in and respect for those at the club than to actually think we would do that.

We do have a premiership indigenous player in Hamling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back