Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sooooo what have I missed from the last 40 pages...? Anything worth elaborating..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe this has been said before, but here's some interestings things I didn't know when researching Alex Keath.

1. Possible upside - Only started playing footy again in 2016 round 5 after putting all his efforts into a cricket career. So he's really only a 4th year player

2. Possible leader - Co captain of the SANFL side in 2017

3. Determined person - Look at his inside football profile in his first 5 AFL games of his career. Here's some of the comments

"Debutant had some trouble with Harry Taylor but did win some one-on-ones late in the game."
"Responded well in the second half after Darcy Moore had control of him in the first."
"Kept his place in the side and recovered well after conceding the first goal of the match to Justin Westhoff."
"Given a lesson by Lance Franklin early, didn’t lower his head and played out the game reasonably well."

Seems like a bit of a pattern here, started poorly yet did not drop his head. It also seems he didn't want to give up on cricket, but had to after not getting a first class contract. Does come across as a very determined person with a kind of resilience to him. That's good.

4. 2019 was a really, really good year for him - Maybe it comes as no surprise to others, but I had no idea he was this good (but I haven't been watching much AFL this year). This is from snippets out of a newspaper article

Of all key-defenders, the 197cm Keath, who won a Showdown medal in his 20th career game, ranks first for contested possessions (7), fourth for intercept possessions (8.3) and fifth for disposals (16.3), rating elite in all three categories.

On average, only Jeremy McGovern, Dane Rampe, Phil Davis, Sam Frost and Aliir Aliir won more possession from an opposition disposal than Keath in 2019.

And, despite missing four matches with a leg injury, Keath’s 49 intercept marks was nine more than any Crow.

His ability to read the play, leave his man and dominate in the air is obvious but Keath also proved he is a terrific one-on-one defender.

Of the top-25 players in the competition for total defensive one-on-ones contested, Keath’s loss percentage of 22.4 is the 10th-best.

In the first 17 matches of the year, Adelaide conceded 9.9 marks inside-50 per game — the fourth-best number in the competition.

But with Keath missing between Rounds 19-22, the opposition took full advantage, with Carlton (16), St Kilda (9), West Coast (14) and Collingwood (19) recording 58 between them in four weeks

And his 2019 numbers stack up against former Crow Jake Lever in his last year at West Lakes.

Pretty impressive numbers I must say. His ability to intercept I think will be of great importance to us as really only Crozier was doing it on a consistent basis. You could see the impact Wood made in that final game and that probably made our other defenders look a bit better too. What's also interesting, is statistically he would be our best one on one KPD defender at the minute.

I'm all for adding him even though there is some risk attached with $$$.

Yawn. Finally reached the end, after weeks of trying. I have a proposal. Why don't we re-title this thread : 'The other man's grass is always greener'. It seems from reading this stuff, that any hack playing for another club is automatically superior to any player on our list.

Better still, the "come on down, everyone's a first rounder!"

I reckon if Bruce played at Collingwood or Essendon he'd be considered a big name. Playing at St Kilda and being injured last year has him out of the spotlight. Pretty underrated player in my opinion.

Was great 3 years ago, average since then.

Maybe this has been said before, but here's some interestings things I didn't know when researching Alex Keath.

1. Possible upside - Only started playing footy again in 2016 round 5 after putting all his efforts into a cricket career. So he's really only a 4th year player

2. Possible leader - Co captain of the SANFL side in 2017

3. Determined person - Look at his inside football profile in his first 5 AFL games of his career. Here's some of the comments

"Debutant had some trouble with Harry Taylor but did win some one-on-ones late in the game."
"Responded well in the second half after Darcy Moore had control of him in the first."
"Kept his place in the side and recovered well after conceding the first goal of the match to Justin Westhoff."
"Given a lesson by Lance Franklin early, didn’t lower his head and played out the game reasonably well."

Seems like a bit of a pattern here, started poorly yet did not drop his head. It also seems he didn't want to give up on cricket, but had to after not getting a first class contract. Does come across as a very determined person with a kind of resilience to him. That's good.

4. 2019 was a really, really good year for him - Maybe it comes as no surprise to others, but I had no idea he was this good (but I haven't been watching much AFL this year). This is from snippets out of a newspaper article

Of all key-defenders, the 197cm Keath, who won a Showdown medal in his 20th career game, ranks first for contested possessions (7), fourth for intercept possessions (8.3) and fifth for disposals (16.3), rating elite in all three categories.

On average, only Jeremy McGovern, Dane Rampe, Phil Davis, Sam Frost and Aliir Aliir won more possession from an opposition disposal than Keath in 2019.

And, despite missing four matches with a leg injury, Keath’s 49 intercept marks was nine more than any Crow.

His ability to read the play, leave his man and dominate in the air is obvious but Keath also proved he is a terrific one-on-one defender.

Of the top-25 players in the competition for total defensive one-on-ones contested, Keath’s loss percentage of 22.4 is the 10th-best.

In the first 17 matches of the year, Adelaide conceded 9.9 marks inside-50 per game — the fourth-best number in the competition.

But with Keath missing between Rounds 19-22, the opposition took full advantage, with Carlton (16), St Kilda (9), West Coast (14) and Collingwood (19) recording 58 between them in four weeks

And his 2019 numbers stack up against former Crow Jake Lever in his last year at West Lakes.

Pretty impressive numbers I must say. His ability to intercept I think will be of great importance to us as really only Crozier was doing it on a consistent basis. You could see the impact Wood made in that final game and that probably made our other defenders look a bit better too. What's also interesting, is statistically he would be our best one on one KPD defender at the minute.

I'm all for adding him even though there is some risk attached with $$$.
Was also voted by his teammates as most courageous and one of the Crows 3 mvp nominations for this year.

Strongly disagree. He's a top 5 contested mark in the comp and regularly kicks 35+ goals a season in a seriously s**t team with a poor midfield.
We always talk about how s**t the delivery has been to our forwards for the last couple of years, but Saints have consistently been far worse than us in this area, hence their massive interest in Hill. If Bruce can kick 35+ with delivery that bad, then surely he'd be aiming for the 40+ mark at a minimum with us. Plus just imagine the headaches it would cause opposition defenders having Naughton and Bruce up forward. Really the only sides I could see giving us any sort of trouble would be GWS (Davis + Haynes), and maybe Fremantle (Hamling + Pearce). Not many other clubs would have two key defenders capable of matching up on these two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back