Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like having Trengove in the team. I like him relief rucking (instead of Naughton, Bruce or Schache), and I like him matched up against the genuine big boys.

I’d play him against:

Richmond (Lynch)
Port (dixon)
North (brown)
Freo (lobb)
Sydney (daniher)
Hawthorn (resting ruck)
Gold Coast (Wright)

I can see him being a horses for courses selection, which is very nice to have.
Brown would kill Trengove on the lead imo.

Chasing Papley does sound nice but he wants to play more in the midfield which we can't offer without giving McLean or Lipinski the flick.

Should vary team by team. Let’s also remember that Easton has been significantly injury prone and it would be a safe bet that he misses time throughout the year.

If we’re playing North as an example:

Brown - Trengove
Larkey - Keath
Wood/garner - Wood
Zurhaar - Crozier
Turner - JJ
Thomas/resting mid - Daniel/Duryea/suckling/Richards

If we’re playing a team without a legit monster (st Kilda):

King - Keath
McCartin - cordy
Membrey - Wood
Gresham - Crozier
Lonie - JJ
Resting mid - Daniel/duryea/suckling/Richards

When wood’s out, we can either play smaller (ie Crozier as the 3rd tall) or play Cordy as the 3rd tall.

The guys we don’t really have a match up for (unless Keath is up to it) are:

Cameron
Buddy
Kennedy
Curnow

The really powerful, fast key forwards are a problem. Keath not strong enough? Trengove too slow. Cordy not big enough.

Thankfully we have Naughton as a swing man if we absolutely need to

Should vary team by team. Let’s also remember that Easton has been significantly injury prone and it would be a safe bet that he misses time throughout the year.

If we’re playing North as an example:

Brown - Trengove
Larkey - Keath
Wood/garner - Wood
Zurhaar - Crozier
Turner - JJ
Thomas/resting mid - Daniel/Duryea/suckling/Richards

If we’re playing a team without a legit monster (st Kilda):

King - Keath
McCartin - cordy
Membrey - Wood
Gresham - Crozier
Lonie - JJ
Resting mid - Daniel/duryea/suckling/Richards

When wood’s out, we can either play smaller (ie Crozier as the 3rd tall) or play Cordy as the 3rd tall.

The guys we don’t really have a match up for (unless Keath is up to it) are:

Cameron
Buddy
Kennedy
Curnow

The really powerful, fast key forwards are a problem. Keath not strong enough? Trengove too slow. Cordy not big enough.
Why no Lewis Young in those scenarios? The way he finished the year as a 20 year old 197 cm, 96 kg athletic #1 KPD, with another preseason under his belt, he may well be the guy we structure everything around.

Young as #1 KPD, Keath as interceptor and Cordy as third tall cover works for me as a full back line most weeks. Maybe Wood or Crozier can work back when more speed/groundplay is required.

Saints fans are so easy to rile up.

It isnt even trolling when you tell them the truth. Bruce will get traded for a mid to late second round pick.

I hope its the first deal off the block.

They will squark like pigs when dougal howard nominates us.

Saints fans are so easy to rile up.

It isnt even trolling when you tell them the truth. Bruce will get traded for a mid to late second round pick.

I hope its the first deal off the block.

They will squark like pigs when dougal howard nominates us.
I don’t think the Bruce deal will be that easy. Think with all that Saints are doing it could take some time.

I think because Adelaide are just going after kids in the draft the Keath deal will be much more straight forward.

I very very highly doubt we get Howard, same with Papley to be honest. Would love to get Howard, not as fussed by Papley. Look at Geelong with Miers. You can get good small forwards late in the draft.

I don’t think the Bruce deal will be that easy. Think with all that Saints are doing it could take some time.

I think because Adelaide are just going after kids in the draft the Keath deal will be much more straight forward.

I very very highly doubt we get Howard, same with Papley to be honest. Would love to get Howard, not as fussed by Papley. Look at Geelong with Miers. You can get good small forwards late in the draft.
Reckon Saints will be keen to get Bruce done fairly early because they will want the pick(s) back to get other deals done (part of either Hill or Z.Jones deals). They are trying to do a lot with few assets.

Reckon Saints will be keen to get Bruce done fairly early because they will want the pick(s) back to get other deals done (part of either Hill or Z.Jones deals). They are trying to do a lot with few assets.
Yeah but they’ll be busy having negotiations with their targets and their existing clubs to work out what picks they likely need to facilitate those trades. Then they’ll work on the Bruce deal.

I’ve read so many times here that we don’t need to worry about small forwards because you can get plenty of them late in the draft.

So it makes me wonder why we haven’t got any (proven) good ones. Why have we been crying out for them for the last few years if they are so easy to find?

Seems to me we’re overestimating how easy it is to find good ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Blues need help to land all their players

I would be asking if they want our first round pick for Second and Third Round 2020 Picks

Our Second round to Saints for Bruce that then offloaded to Swans for Jones

Three third rounders traded for a second round pick then flip to Crows for Keath

Yeah but they’ll be busy having negotiations with their targets and their existing clubs to work out what picks they likely need to facilitate those trades. Then they’ll work on the Bruce deal.
True, but still need to get Bruce deal done first. They'll be worried someone else may grab a Jones from underneath them if they piss fart around too much Can play to our favour.

If Blues need help to land all their players

I would be asking if they want our first round pick for Second and Third Round 2020 Picks

Our Second round to Saints for Bruce that then offloaded to Swans for Jones

Three third rounders traded for a second round pick then flip to Crows for Keath
A mid first rounder for future 2nd and 3rd round picks is terrible value

We should sit back and wait to see if they get desperate. Hopefully Freo and Swans don’t rollover for Hill and Jones.

I’ve read so many times here that we don’t need to worry about small forwards because you can get plenty of them late in the draft.

So it makes me wonder why we haven’t got any (proven) good ones. Why have we been crying out for them for the last few years if they are so easy to find?

I have heard that Darcy Macpherson from the Gold Coast is the perfect fit for a small forward at the Bulldogs
it's a pity he was not related to the Macpherson's that played for the Bulldogs as he would of made a great
father son pick. I think he was third in their B & F this year not that they have a "Bubble Of Excellence" or
anything remotely close, maybe an "Aura Of Averageness" is more appropriate although they did beat us
twice this year if you count pre-season competition.

Note: Tongue so firmly in cheek it went clean through. :rolleyes:

It's not hard. We've just been unlucky in 32 drafts.

I hear that if we have an exciting KP forward prospect coming along then they need to move down back. KP forwards are easier to find than small forwards as we've demonstrated draft after draft.

Still don't get the obsession with banking heaps of picks for next year

1. A few seem to be assuming that all our NGA kids and FS prospects are sure thing top 30 picks that we need a billion points
2. Banking up to many picks a year ahead can back fire, if only Jamarra plays well, and the rest absolutely spud it up into late pick/rookie levels. We have all these picks next to nothing and a weakened draft hand this year.
3. We can still trade out players next year for picks, can do pick swaps next year, can use 2021 picks in deals/swaps to move into 2020, (which might be more effective given we'd know exactly what level our NGA kids are at, instead of riding on hunches now). There is so much flexibility and things we can do to work around it. If we end up sacrificing a small deficit for 2021, so be it. (I know someone here commented on that idea that its silly cause what if we miss out on XXXX player by five spots because our pick slipped back a little. Well every single year teams miss out on players at top of their draft wish list unless picking inside the top 5 or 6)

Trading out a high pick for later picks for next year is unnecessary at this point in time. Why not aim to get better quality draftees this year AND NGA kids next year. As opposed to weakening our draft hand this year, picking up late speculative picks with high odds not to make it, and the NGA picks next year. Rather play smart and make the required moves next season instead of riding on speculation a year ahead. Remember Williams was talked up as a possible top 5 pick at the end of last season, now he is likely to slip deep into the second round.

Last edited:
Why no Lewis Young in those scenarios? The way he finished the year as a 20 year old 197 cm, 96 kg athletic #1 KPD, with another preseason under his belt, he may well be the guy we structure everything around.

Young as #1 KPD, Keath as interceptor and Cordy as third tall cover works for me as a full back line most weeks. Maybe Wood or Crozier can work back when more speed/groundplay is required.
couldnt agree more, he will be a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back