Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds lovely in theory but the injuries will come as they always do. Our depth looks fantastic until that seventh or eighth injury comes and the Ryan Gardners and the Roarke Smiths find themselves getting senior games.
For sure. We're starting the season with no Libba, and I fully expect Hayes to find his way into the side by Round 1, just feels like we are going to see another situation like we saw with Lipinski in 2019, where he was regularly dominating the VFL, doing nothing wrong, yet couldn't make his way into the side.

If we get a 2018-level injury list, we could face the proposition of a starting side featuring Louis Butler, but I'd hope it never comes to that

And looking to be traded at season's end?
Well I expected guys like Williams and McLean to explore trades last year and they didn't, so hopefully that means the boys are buying in and are confident they'll earn their spots. But it seems inevitable that the depth won't last forever. Players being undervalued at their original club is what leads to situations like Tom Mitchell departing for the Hawks

If we end up with a pick at the mid-season draft (which would come from something like a career-ending injury, which I don't want to see happen to anyone on our team, but speculative), we could probably find a half decent KPD without losing any of the draft picks we'll be needing come November. Dyson Hilder went undrafted, right? Still a Ben Kelly fan too.

If we get a 2018-level injury list, we could face the proposition of a starting side featuring Louis Butler, but I'd hope it never comes to that

Now I'm thinking about a "best 22 while missing 4-5 of our lock in players" list. If we lost Hunter, Crozier, Macrae, and Lloyd to injury, for example, we'd have to really think.

Now I'm thinking about a "best 22 while missing 4-5 of our lock in players" list. If we lost Hunter, Crozier, Macrae, and Lloyd to injury, for example, we'd have to really think.
Imagine wings of Richards and Hayes :'(

I think we'd survive without Crozier and Lloyd (but would be a lot worse) but I can't imagine how bad it would be without Hunter and Macrae

Imagine wings of Richards and Hayes :'(

I think we'd survive without Crozier and Lloyd (but would be a lot worse) but I can't imagine how bad it would be without Hunter and Macrae

Lipinski and maybe Bailey Smith could be a good set of wings, or Lipinski and JJ. Without Hunter though we'd definitely have a challenge.

Lipinski and maybe Bailey Smith could be a good set of wings, or Lipinski and JJ. Without Hunter though we'd definitely have a challenge.
Hunter is probably the hardest player to replace in our side tbh. Hayes is a "okay" replacement, but we'd definitely suffer more than we would missing any other player, possibly even Bont

Wouldn't be great, but we'd manage.

Toss Lipinski onto a wing with B Smith, if his up to it - otherwise JJ.

means our midfield looks like this:
C: Lipinski - Bont - B Smith
R: English - Dunkley - Libba

that's still a top 6 midfield IMO

Lloyd for a weightman may even re-energize giving a kid a crack and we have lots of half back flankers to replace Crozier (not at the exact level, but close)

Assuming a fully fit side, there are going to be some damn good players sitting on the sidelines at times this year, particularly midfielders.

Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley and Hunter are first picked every week in the midfield. Lipinski has proven himself enough that he should now be considered a lock. Bailey Smith has a higher ceiling that almost anyone on our list (except maybe Bont) and has already shown huge talent, so he picks himself too.

We are then left with a long list of players competing for spots on the wing and in the centre. How do we fit all of Ed Richards, Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore and Toby McLean in one side? Not to mention guys like Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel who play half back but have featured in the midfield at times, plus Will Hayes as a potential winger.

Rhylee West will be pushing for a spot soon enough too, demanding we pick him just like Lipinski did in 2019.

There is going to be a lot of guys who would be easily best 22 on most lists ending up in the VFL for large stints
I'm not expecting too much from Libba this yr. So scratch him off the list imo. Hayes is probs the next vulnerable one you mentioned, but he has shown he is capable. Probably pushed out of the team with so many fit in the squad but will play valuable roles throughout the year, due to injury/rotation.

I'm not expecting too much from Libba this yr. So scratch him off the list imo. Hayes is probs the next vulnerable one you mentioned, but he has shown he is capable. Probably pushed out of the team with so many fit in the squad but will play valuable roles throughout the year, due to injury/rotation.

I think Libba will have ten great games in him this year. Hopeful they start at round 15 or 16 and he gives us a real hard edge in finals.

Assuming a fully fit side, there are going to be some damn good players sitting on the sidelines at times this year, particularly midfielders.

Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley and Hunter are first picked every week in the midfield. Lipinski has proven himself enough that he should now be considered a lock. Bailey Smith has a higher ceiling that almost anyone on our list (except maybe Bont) and has already shown huge talent, so he picks himself too.

We are then left with a long list of players competing for spots on the wing and in the centre. How do we fit all of Ed Richards, Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore and Toby McLean in one side? Not to mention guys like Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel who play half back but have featured in the midfield at times, plus Will Hayes as a potential winger.

Rhylee West will be pushing for a spot soon enough too, demanding we pick him just like Lipinski did in 2019.

There is going to be a lot of guys who would be easily best 22 on most lists ending up in the VFL for large stints

What we need is a great start to the season, which is obvious I know. Given how we finished off the year and the teams we are playing in the first half of this year, there is no reason we can't be 6 and 4 or 7 and 3 come round 10 (fingers crossed even better than that). At that point, if not before, we can start resting players and giving the fringe players a real crack to play. They play hard to try and keep their spots and the starting 22 have some recoup time. If we play our cards right and have a little bit of luck, we could have most of our best 22 ready come finals, should we make it.

I am worried though, mainly because this is the most bullish I have been going into a season for a long time.

Toby Mclean will be an interesting one to watch. He plays his best footy as a mid and the depth we have in that area is very strong. We all know the bloke can play footy but would you put him in the side over Lippa or Baz? Then you have a fit Libba and Wallis - do they get a game when they are fit and firing? Going to be some very hard luck stories come the round 1 side but it puts us in a position of strength to tackle the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we need is a great start to the season, which is obvious I know. Given how we finished off the year and the teams we are playing in the first half of this year, there is no reason we can't be 6 and 4 or 7 and 3 come round 10 (fingers crossed even better than that). At that point, if not before, we can start resting players and giving the fringe players a real crack to play. They play hard to try and keep their spots and the starting 22 have some recoup time. If we play our cards right and have a little bit of luck, we could have most of our best 22 ready come finals, should we make it.

I am worried though, mainly because this is the most bullish I have been going into a season for a long time.
Honestly, every single one of our first 10 games is very winnable. It would never happen, but going 10-0 is not outside the realm of possibility. I'm hopeful for 8-2 or 7-3 (which are far more realistic). I think it's really important that guys like Libba and Duryea, who we won't have for the start of the season, are fit for finals.

Just once, I want to go through a season and not see games that are simply embarrassing. No 8 goal losses to Carlton or losses at home to the wooden spooners. I want our losses to be honourable, and our wins to be convincing. There's no reason we shouldn't be joining the likes of Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and GWS as the "dominant" sides, rather than being a young, inconsistent group who surprise good sides but fall to pieces just as often

Toby Mclean will be an interesting one to watch. He plays his best footy as a mid and the depth we have in that area is very strong. We all know the bloke can play footy but would you put him in the side over Lippa or Baz? Then you have a fit Libba and Wallis - do they get a game when they are fit and firing? Going to be some very hard luck stories come the round 1 side but it puts us in a position of strength to tackle the year.
I struggle to see places for McLean and Williams in a fully fit side, but both seem so confident in their chances of playing a lot of footy this year. I guess it's a good thing that our 23rd-26th players are so confident in their abilities. Injuries will happen, and of course they'll feature then, but in a fully fit side, I don't see how they sneak in

On a side note, god I'm excited about Lipinski this year. He was incredible in 2019, and only looks to be getting better with every game

Toby has been training as a forward this preseason.
Make of that what you will.

Massive season for Richards. Time to cash in on his bags of talent.

Agree. Surprised he hasn’t been mentioned more in the discussion on this thread about wingmen. Apart from prolific possession rates he has all the attributes. Understand the love for Lipinski and Bailey Smith but with Schache and Hayes mentioned Richards has to be in the conversation. What are people’s concerns?

I struggle to see places for McLean and Williams in a fully fit side, but both seem so confident in their chances of playing a lot of footy this year. I guess it's a good thing that our 23rd-26th players are so confident in their abilities. Injuries will happen, and of course they'll feature then, but in a fully fit side, I don't see how they sneak in

On a side note, god I'm excited about Lipinski this year. He was incredible in 2019, and only looks to be getting better with every game
The thing is that to get there they’ll have to force their way past players like Lloyd, Duryea, Wallis, Libba, Suckling, Wood etc. In that sense it’s exciting. They won’t get there by maintaining form.

Pardon the intrusion gang, however came across a few interesting tidbits:

Dogs had the best offer on the table for Ben King. While all the media/hype was around the Saints, Ive been told that that Dogs were very involved and had the ear of Connors.

Dogs very interested in Jye Caldwell and Dan Venables.

Dogs had the best offer on the table for Ben King. While all the media/hype was around the Saints, Ive been told that that Dogs were very involved and had the ear of Connors.

Thanks for dropping by again C4. Appreciate your intel as always.

Great stuff. The King news lines up with a few bit and bobs from here last season as well.

Agree. Surprised he hasn’t been mentioned more in the discussion on this thread about wingmen. Apart from prolific possession rates he has all the attributes. Understand the love for Lipinski and Bailey Smith but with Schache and Hayes mentioned Richards has to be in the conversation. What are people’s concerns?

Hasnt demonstrated an ability to get much of the ball. Has played the majority of games tho, so he is being fast tracked I guess.

Interesting that Toby has been training as a forward this pre season. Not sure he cracks the best 22 as a forward but his ability to rotate as a mid is handy. Jury is out for me on Richards as he makes too many dumb mistakes and is fumbly under pressure. His best position would be of a HBF once JJ slows down a bit as he can see the play in front of him. He struggles up forward big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back