Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it Is weird that Bevo writes off some players off and banishes them but perennial battlers who are not AFL standard are given about 5 years to prove they still are not AFL standard. Schache can make it in a team with structure, a good coach and a sound game plan. He has good leading patterns, high footy iq, good skills. He is not naturally aggressive but has Improved in that regard, hence the concussions he has suffered in pack situations.

i am very concerned Bevo will write off JUH. The kid will struggle in our fwd line like all others. Its the way we move the ball and is the reason Bevo will struggle to win another flag. He is a great motivator but lacks too much on the game plan and tactical side of the game. We may have 4 of the top 10 players in the game in 2023 (Bont, Smith, Naughts, JUH) but he will alway be behind the elite coaches in the AFL and will and not adapt to be a consistent top 4 team
LOL
I can accept criticism of Bevo for things that he has done even though most of it is speculative eg has he written off Schache?
But when he gets criticised for not developing someone who hasn’t been drafted yet it’s getting ridiculous.
He has done pretty well with Naughton given almost no one was suggesting he be played forward.
And he has done all right with some perennial battlers over his coaching career. Remember the GF hero Picken who was a tagger before Bevo arrived.

If we make finals and we just put English up against Grundy, Natanui, or Ryder/Marshall (depending on opponent) and English gets smashed (which he will), then this board will cry out for the secondary ruck option.

It's bound to happen.
Could very will happen as early as this week against Darcy/Lobb
He is getting his around the ground form back in the last few weeks. He can also be a weapon just not in the taps which can be countered in other ways

He posted in insta a couple weeks back that he's not sure he'll be around next year - I would imagine that's a pretty solid suggestion that he's gone. I agree with base salary - appears to be one of our strongest off-field leaders, is a reasonable depth player, and plays in two areas we have very little depth. Would rather retain at base salary than get rid of him and have zero depth
I reckon we will keep him but at a reduced contract and it’s not a surprise he doesn’t know as the AFL haven’t finalised list sizes yet so players like him coming out of contract will have to wait

I just don't get the theory behind continually keeping guys like Porter on the list. It's all well and good to keep a popular guy on the list who is actually on the fringe of selection, especially in a position of need (which is why I'd keep Trengove), but an inside mid who has played 1 game and is behind Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Lipinski, West, Jong, Wallis et al?

I'd move on him, Gowers, Dickson etc and bring in new guys to try and find someone who will force their way into our best team.
I like the thought of keeping him on one more year. He's got a pretty big ceiling, is versatile, great character, and can be kept on base salary. I don't think he needs to be pigeon-holed into an inside mid position. It's probably an odd move to retain all of Roarke, Jong and Porter given they all fill that "break glass in case of emergency" depth position, but I do think Porter has pretty big potential if given the opportunity.

I also understand why you might feel the way you do though, as he's had 3 years already and was a late speculative pick. Just giving my two cents

The stats suggest otherwise.

I think it's fair to say Cox v Bruce, Cox is the better ruck option. I don't think there is any disputing that. Purely by his height he can get his hands to the ball where not many else can.

Multiple Goals
Cox: 4/9 games
Bruce 2/16 games

Contested marks
Cox: 12th in the Comp ave
Bruce: 71st in the comp ave

Hitouts
Cox: 3.9 (considering how little game time he gets in the middle due to grundy)
Bruce: 1.1

2015-2019 I'm picking Bruce everyday of the week. 2020 its Mason Cox.

Basically it boils down to this. If you wanted a more physical presence player with better defensive pressure then going by stats you pick Bruce. But if you wanted a stronger contested marking threat with better support for English you pick Cox.
A KPP who can also ruck if necessary? Maybe a quicker or more mobile Trengove-like player.
CCJ from Richmond could fill that role and possibly be gettable

I like the thought of keeping him on one more year. He's got a pretty big ceiling, is versatile, great character, and can be kept on base salary. I don't think he needs to be pigeon-holed into an inside mid position. It's probably an odd move to retain all of Roarke, Jong and Porter given they all fill that "break glass in case of emergency" depth position, but I do think Porter has pretty big potential if given the opportunity.

I also understand why you might feel the way you do though, as he's had 3 years already and was a late speculative pick. Just giving my two cents
I feel the opposite about his ceiling.
He is small, not particularly fast, not a prodigious kick and is not a prolific ball winner. I can't see him developing into anything more than a fringe player.
Compared to other speculative picks like Vandermeer, Daniel, Williams, JJ who have elite attributes and showed signs early of being able to make the grade, I can't see a reason for keeping him on the list.
I'd rather give a list spot to someone new who might be able to provide something more.

I feel the opposite about his ceiling.
He is small, not particularly fast, not a prodigious kick and is not a prolific ball winner. I can't see him developing into anything more than a fringe player.
Compared to other speculative picks like Vandermeer, Daniel, Williams, JJ who have elite attributes and showed signs early of being able to make the grade, I can't see a reason for keeping him on the list.
I'd rather give a list spot to someone new who might be able to provide something more.
He had insane burst from congestion (like Smith) in juniors, and was a very strong tackler. I'd hope he can demonstrate the same in seniors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the only suggestion going around I'm behind. Anyone got any idea what he'd cost?
I’d be pretty surprised if he’s not at Richmond next year. They won’t turf him, he’s under contract and is suddenly a lot more important without Soldo next year. It would also be a bad look for him to demand a trade after his indiscretion.

In a vacuum I’d imagine he’s worth something in the second round

I'm not too sure why everyone is so against going in to deficit, isn't it essentially an interest free loan where you reap the benefits now and don't have to pay til next year and there's no interest charged.
With our father sons next yr IF they're good prospects it makes even more sense as we get first dibs and a discount on them too.
Also if you go into deficit the points only get pushed back in the same round or 2 rounds.
So if JUH puts us in to deficit and then Raak and McPherson cost us points too, the points from those two will only come from the rounds there bid in not from our first or second rounder.
That's my understanding anyway i could be wrong, i am pretty drunk

Been told there's a very strong chance Isaac Smith leaves the Hawks this year, remaining in Victoria. We're in a good position to get him

I wouldn't go there now personally. He'll be 32 by the time next season comes around and I think he's dropped off a bit this year. I'd rather stick with a Lipinski or Vandemeer on the wing who both have significant upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back