Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You seem to get a hell of a lot of info. Do you mind indicating where you get it from or is it just what you hear/read in the media? Be great to have a poster on here with the inside track.

I get some info from a fella who’s dad is at the club. Some other stuff is just from the media that I put up when I read something! Hope you can see some difference in what I post there. I understand it’s easy to just post stuff on here and some posters are miles off it. We’ll see how we go hey!

I just read a Pies fan suggest our first this year for their first next year, given we have JUH and they have Daicos next year. I don’t mind that if we can’t get a senior talent.

But how do we afford JUH? We barely have enough points for him with our entire draft hand, and we won't be trading out players for anything near the equivalent of a first round pick.

I just read a Pies fan suggest our first this year for their first next year, given we have JUH and they have Daicos next year. I don’t mind that if we can’t get a senior talent.

It's a bit more complicated than just that.
We currently have approximately 2000 draft points for this year before trades. If we gave away our first rounder for a first rounder next year, we would be down to around 800 draft points this year. A bid at pick #2 for JUH is basically going to cost us about 2000 points to match.

Would leave us with a deficit of about 1200 points into next year give or take.
That kind of draft point deficit into next year would approximately take any pick from #12 or later to the last pick of the draft.
Wiping out the traded in first rounder completely, making it redundant.

But how do we afford JUH? We barely have enough points for him with our entire draft hand, and we won't be trading out players for anything near the equivalent of a first round pick.
They have Richmond's R2 pick and Norths R3. We could swap 2020 & 2021 later picks back the other way to help us pay for JUH and them pay for Daicos.

This year is tipped to have record player movement. There is every chance we see multiple players move clubs, which could result in picks.

Off the top of my head, the ones I've been hearing about include Saad, Merrett, Macrae, Dunkley (both unlikely, but clubs have asked), Stephenson, Smith, Daniher, Brown, Cameron, Atkins, Phillips, SPS, Mihocek, Cox, Wright, Sexton, O'Halloran, Hately, Caldwell, McDonald, Broad, Lonie, Schache... the list goes on. Those are just off the top of my head. If even half of them eventuated, that's massive amounts of picks flying everywhere. For all we know, Schache, McLean, Dale, etc. could find new clubs - we ultimately have very little idea of what's happening behind the scenes outside of small snippets of intel and a whole lot of guessing in the media.

This year is tipped to have record player movement. There is every chance we see multiple players move clubs, which could result in picks.

Off the top of my head, the ones I've been hearing about include Saad, Merrett, Macrae, Dunkley (both unlikely, but clubs have asked), Stephenson, Smith, Daniher, Brown, Cameron, Atkins, Phillips, SPS, Mihocek, Cox, Wright, Sexton, O'Halloran, Hately, Caldwell, McDonald, Broad, Lonie, Schache... the list goes on. Those are just off the top of my head. If even half of them eventuated, that's massive amounts of picks flying everywhere. For all we know, Schache, McLean, Dale, etc. could find new clubs - we ultimately have very little idea of what's happening behind the scenes outside of small snippets of intel and a whole lot of guessing in the media.
And those in the media are reluctant to release stories at the moment considering some are hubbed up with the club's so it would be obvious where their info is coming from

Tipped by who?

As lists have to be trimmed plenty of players are going to be cut but who is going to have list spots available to take them?
Seen it mentioned by guys like Twomey, and generic AFL journos on the AFL website. Their logic was primarily around the fact list sizes are being trimmed, meaning players in certain positions could be squeezed out due to their position or asking salary (i.e. if a club has too many key defenders, they'd move one on. Or clubs with tight caps might need to shift players around while clubs with more room can pick them up to improve their lists)

McLean is one who potentially could have gone elsewhere and only one who would have had significant trade value, but he will go nowhere after the ACL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McLean is one who potentially could have gone elsewhere and only one who would have had significant trade value, but he will go nowhere after the ACL

Yeah, I'm not sure if we have anyone else who we'd be willing to let go and who'd have any real trade value.

I like the thinking. I'd do it if we swap second rounders as well. Two second rounders this year to help our points situation, Pies get two second rounders next year to help their points situation.

I don't see the value of this trade in isolation.

Given our remaining picks won't nearly pay for Jamarra (let alone Raak or MacPherson), the 2021 1st will just get eaten up by our points deficit.

If Collingwood finish higher next year than we do this year, we've lost out.

Why trade into uncertainty? Better off trading down for more points this year.

Really, everything I had been reading is saying quite the opposite. Due to lists being cut, many players will be left without AFL clubs this year as teams still want to punt on kids in the draft. Players who would normally find a home at another club will be back in the lower leagues.

Really, everything I had been reading is saying quite the opposite. Due to lists being cut, many players will be left without AFL clubs this year as teams still want to punt on kids in the draft. Players who would normally find a home at another club will be back in the lower leagues.
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. If lists are cut by 3 places, that's 54 players out of the system who'd otherwise be playing AFL. Some may be good players who are not re-signed and let go for salary cap reasons.

Some will get picked up as Delisted Free Agents, which will impact the trade period as teams will not want to pay much for depth/role players when there will be a lot of free DFAs available before lists are finalised.

I like the thinking. I'd do it if we swap second rounders as well. Two second rounders this year to help our points situation, Pies get two second rounders next year to help their points situation.
Didn't we trade our second to the crow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back