Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Several gaps in our list have been suggested in this thread. I wasn't aware there is a gap on our list for a 34yo fruit loop who would struggle to get a game. But if there is such a gap, Heath Shaw is definitely the person to fill it.

(I note someone on the North board suggested him playing 2021 for them, then moving into a coaching role. In what universe would any AFL club, even North, consider appointing him to such a position?!)

The only time I enjoyed watching Heath Shaw was the 2016 prelim, especially when Tory beats him and another opponent to kick a goal (the one-handed contested mark wasn't bad either):

1601364801174.png 1601364819836.png

Several gaps in our list have been suggested in this thread. I wasn't aware there is a gap on our list for a 34yo fruit loop who would struggle to get a game. But if there is such a gap, Heath Shaw is definitely the person to fill it.

(I note someone on the North board suggested him playing 2021 for them, then moving into a coaching role. In what universe would any AFL club, even North, consider appointing him to such a position?!)

The only time I enjoyed watching Heath Shaw was the 2016 prelim, especially when Tory beats him and another opponent to kick a goal (the one-handed contested mark wasn't bad either):

View attachment 973326 View attachment 973328
What was Shaw doing at Dickson's first goal in the 2016 prelim? Dickson went to ground, Shaw stood there and watched him get up, pick up the ball and dribble it through. I watched it again on the weekend and still have no idea why Shaw didn't tackle Dickson. Just stood there and let a goal in. So much for chewing out all his team mates for lack of effort and application.

Would love to see him at North with his brother.

...although BF would be in meltdown for a couple of weeks :D

The Irish north supporters would love it. To be shaw to be shaw.

To be sure, to be sure” Yep, we get it, we’re Irish.

“You only drink Guinness though, right?” Not always, no.

“Why do you spell your name in such a weird way?” Erm, because that’s how Aoife is spelt.

“Top o’ the morning to ya!” Just a simple hello will do.

Looks like Adelaide won't get band 1 compo for Brad Crouch if he does leave given he's been (allegedly) caught today with illegal substances in his car.
A good thing if they only really planned to bid on JUH if they had picks 1 & 2
They were never getting pick 2 for Crouch more likely end of 1st Round

I heard of Heath Shaw being delisted and wondered why that was popping up in my news feed. I thought it was the three year anniversary of him being delisted. Turns out it was a recent story and he has actually been playing for the past three seasons. Knock me down with a feather.

What are people's thought on Alex neal-bullen?
Don't know what others feel but looking at his stats I wouldn't mind having a look at him. Had a bit of a down year this year but 2017 - 2019 he was averaging 4 tackles a game, 1 goal a game, couple of goal assists etc. Fwd line pressure is what we need so tackles are a big thing. Not sure how he goes reading the drop of the ball to rove packs but the rest sounds alright. Can't imagine he would be too expensive either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard of Heath Shaw being delisted and wondered why that was popping up in my news feed. I thought it was the three year anniversary of him being delisted. Turns out it was a recent story and he has actually been playing for the past three seasons. Knock me down with a feather.

He’s been pretty much cooked the last couple of years, self uppercut needed to those who suggest he’s worthy of a list spot

Don't know what others feel but looking at his stats I wouldn't mind having a look at him. Had a bit of a down year this year but 2017 - 2019 he was averaging 4 tackles a game, 1 goal a game, couple of goal assists etc. Fwd line pressure is what we need so tackles are a big thing. Not sure how he goes reading the drop of the ball to rove packs but the rest sounds alright. Can't imagine he would be too expensive either.
Has speed. Has been played off half back and half forward so that makes his stats harder to judge

I think we should keep in mind the situation with draft points when considering potential trade targets.

We need to remember that any player we trade in with pick currency is likely going to be taken off our first round pick in 2021. It becomes an enormous price to pay - we're essentially downgrading our first round pick with any trades involving a pick in the first four rounds.

For example, say we trade pick 37 for a fringe player. In normal years, we've spent 37 on this player. This year, if things play out as they are at the moment, we're actually costing ourselves an extra 5-10 place downgrade on our 2021 first rounder. That's suddenly a huge price to pay.

For that reason, any trade we do this year needs to fulfill at least one of these criteria, in my opinion:
  1. The player is a substantial improvement on what we have and will move the needle for us;
  2. The cost is extremely low;
  3. We use a future pick - though even this I'm not sure on, as if our first rounder is dropped down the order by our academy players we risk having no high value picks.
Guys like Fogarty, Neal-Bullen, Constable, and some of the others I've seen mentioned are just not enough of a substantial upgrade to justify sending us further into deficit in 2021 for, nor are they worth trading out of the top end of the 2021 draft for.

I'd rather us go the low cost or FA route this year, personally. Sure we've got a good, young core, but trading out of drafts for players that aren't needle movers is how you stagnate.

I think we should keep in mind the situation with draft points when considering potential trade targets.

We need to remember that any player we trade in with pick currency is likely going to be taken off our first round pick in 2021. It becomes an enormous price to pay - we're essentially downgrading our first round pick with any trades involving a pick in the first four rounds.

For example, say we trade pick 37 for a fringe player. In normal years, we've spent 37 on this player. This year, if things play out as they are at the moment, we're actually costing ourselves an extra 5-10 place downgrade on our 2021 first rounder. That's suddenly a huge price to pay.

For that reason, any trade we do this year needs to fulfill at least one of these criteria, in my opinion:
  1. The player is a substantial improvement on what we have and will move the needle for us;
  3. We use a future pick - though even this I'm not sure on, as if our first rounder is dropped down the order by our academy players we risk having no high value picks.
Guys like Fogarty, Neal-Bullen, Constable, and some of the others I've seen mentioned are just not enough of a substantial upgrade to justify sending us further into deficit in 2021 for, nor are they worth trading out of the top end of the 2021 draft for.

I'd rather us go the low cost or FA route this year, personally. Sure we've got a good, young core, but trading out of drafts for players that aren't needle movers is how you stagnate.
All that can be avoided if we trade out our first rounder for points

Can always use next year's picks. I also think teams will be pretty keen to offload late picks this year with lists being cut and no tac cup or champs so we could potentially get late picks coming back with any trade.

All that can be avoided if we trade out our first rounder for points
This year's first rounder or next year's?

I find it hard to believe that our first this year is going to net us enough points in a downgrade to allow us to afford JUH, if he goes as high as expected. Trading next year's first has some merit, but doing it to bring in some mid-range players isn't an appropriate rationale for mine - it puts us in a very high risk situation where we're gambling on our performance next year in order to accommodate fringe players.

I just don't think it's the year to bring in these kinds of players.

What are people's thought on Alex neal-bullen?
Prefer the idea of him over Lonie. Plays more as a midfielder, but runs all day and has elite pressure. Averages basically a goal per game. Would fit right into our forward line

If the trades need to be low cost, then they also need to identify a position of need. O'Halloran, Fogerty, Constable and any other mid/lost cost midfielder really shouldn't be on our radar at all. Why would be targeting midfielders of any variety? That position is absolutely stacked.

Ben Ronke would be a perfect low cost option who fills a position of need. Has speed and pressure and we certainly need more pressure forwards instead of stacking the forward line with midfield utilities.

We might also have more assets than we think. Schache first and foremost could be used to bring in another player. On the fence about trading Dale out, he has speed and firepower, but doesn't have the mongrel we require of our smalls.

A secondary/depth ruckman and more small forward options have to the first priority. I'm ok with our KPD's currently cause I think only 2KPD's are required in the best 22.

Can always use next year's picks. I also think teams will be pretty keen to offload late picks this year with lists being cut and no tac cup or champs so we could potentially get late picks coming back with any trade.
Yeah I don't think we will have any trouble accumulating enough points as long as we are smart about it.

I'm all for trading this years first for a first next year, and then trading next years second and third to get back the points for Marra.
We end up with 3 high quality draft picks and then potentially some cheap NGA and father sons to bulk out the list.
I know it is a long way out but none of next years father sons are being projected as high picks at this stage.
We can always trade back into next years draft from 2022 if we do end up needing more picks to pay for Darcy or the Wests.

The key being whoever gets traded in is an upgrade to someone on the list or fills a hole in our list. Haven't seen many suggestions that fit the criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back