Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This free agency is BS when the cats are playing off and get Cameron, Brisbane finish 4th and get Danaher possible for nothing. Hope the threat of being matched means they have to pay for them.

Yeah but we made finals and will draft the number one draft pick.

Minton Connell, Cook
Andrew McDougall, Bandy, Rawlings, Welsh, Crameri, Cloke

We have such a good track record at bringing in experienced key forwards dont we...

You have disgracefully overlooked the great Trent Barlett, Carlton killer.

Shame on you.

You have disgracefully overlooked the great Trent Barlett, Carlton killer.

Shame on you.

An old mate of mine, who lived in Dogwatch territory, used to drive down to Melbourne with a couple of his Bulldog supporting mates. On the trip down, they used to select the worst Footscray team (it's that long ago). It was pre Trent. I must ask her/him (how politically correct am I, now ?) whether Trent would get a guernsey.

SP is not on good terms with Adelaides list manager after the Keath situation last year. Adelaide have taken it personally and the Bulldogs are expecting them to bid on JUH because of this.
Nah. A pick swap trade will be done with a wink-wink to not bid on JUH with pick 1 (doesn't make a difference to the Crows, makes a difference to us)
Someone else reported it and from what I can gather, though not as direct, it's in line with what I'm hearing.

I'd be surprised if the players who take smaller contracts to join big clubs to 'play finals' or 'play in front of big crowds' ever do end up worse of financially.
Big clubs can get sponsors to offer 3rd party deals so while the contract that counts towards the salary cap is less they also get a 100k car get paid 10s of thousands for promotional appearances and partners or family get highly paid jobs that require them to do stuff all.
If the AFL was serious about equalisation they're ban 3rd party deals.
It doesn't even have to be direct in terms of money changing hands etc. for business opportunities.

E.g. Geelong recruiting players - they all buy investment properties down in the area, and the "ease" in which they can do this is pretty incredible. People helping them find the right property, the right loan, and for a price that's erm, not typical for the market. Nothing to do with other money going into bank accounts, but potentially worth even six figures depending on how you look at it.

Sorry, ScragCity. If you think it ordinary, it's second hand, anecdotal and I wasn't in the car. Balance, though. This is a bloke who talked himself with his mate (me) into the Rooms at half time at Victoria Park all those years ago by telling Con, the doorman, that he is "the best doorman in the AFL". It was memorable, Malthouse going off at the Hawk. If Con lost his job, for the benefit of my insurer, I wasn't there and had nothing to do with the dark stranger.

Could we give the Pies anything for Grundy?
I will never see the day when a gun in his prime will say " i want to go to the bulldogs"

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we can build consistent success you will. We have had 1 premiership 4 years ago, we don’t have marque games, we have a small membership.. but Geelong haven’t been a destination club until they’ve been thereabouts for 13 years in a row. Success breeds success. I’d want to play for Geelong based on their systems and consistency. Their home game advantage is as good as west coasts so I don’t see a hawthorn type drop off anytime soon. But if we get our kids going together and fix our coaching issues we could have regular success and then the requests could come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. A pick swap trade will be done with a wink-wink to not bid on JUH with pick 1 (doesn't make a difference to the Crows, makes a difference to us)
Someone else reported it and from what I can gather, though not as direct, it's in line with what I'm hearing.
What is the difference? If Adelaide don’t bid for him Norf or one of the other 9 clubs before our pick surely will!

I'd be surprised if the players who take smaller contracts to join big clubs to 'play finals' or 'play in front of big crowds' ever do end up worse of financially.
Big clubs can get sponsors to offer 3rd party deals so while the contract that counts towards the salary cap is less they also get a 100k car get paid 10s of thousands for promotional appearances and partners or family get highly paid jobs that require them to do stuff all.
If the AFL was serious about equalisation they're ban 3rd party deals.

Absolutely, its huge. But we should do the same, unfortunately you can just take a look at our board compared to other clubs. I'm sure they are great at what they do, but if i was a player or an agent looking for life after footy opportunities there is no industry of interest with our board. I'm sure agents would consider these things.

This got me interested, we have...
Gordon legal, Walt Disney and pretty much the rest in health/academics

North have...
Foxtel, Nike, 7-Eleven, Insurance, Investment

Hawks have...
Law, KPMG, wine, fire/police, Scotch college, Swisse, Investment.

doesnt that tell you something

Could we give the Pies anything for Grundy?

If we can build consistent success you will. We have had 1 premiership 4 years ago, we don’t have marque games, we have a small membership.. but Geelong haven’t been a destination club until they’ve been thereabouts for 13 years in a row. Success breeds success. I’d want to play for Geelong based on their systems and consistency. Their home game advantage is as good as west coasts so I don’t see a hawthorn type drop off anytime soon. But if we get our kids going together and fix our coaching issues we could have regular success and then the requests could come.
We will never have the drawing power of Geelong for the reasons you've outlined above. However, we could certainly try to emulate them in one very important area and that is not trading away their best players to anybody. Good footballers simply don't leave Geelong, they stay there until they grow old and retire (except for Tim Kelly who caught the homesick bug). Talk of trading players like Dunkley or Macrae does my head in. We need to add class to what we already have not trade away one in exchange for another. We may have to jump on the free agents bandwagon and try to entice one or two to join us. Tough ask I know, but I'm sick of powerful 'destination clubs' sucking the best free agent pool dry each year. To do this, we might have to manage our player payments in such a way as to be able to throw some bigger bucks around. Perhaps we could take some pointers from Geelong's list manager in the offseason to see how he can perform the miracle of adding Cameron, Crouch and Higgins to an already bloated playing list.

What is the difference? If Adelaide don’t bid for him Norf or one of the other 9 clubs before our pick surely will!

There’s a big difference.

The difference between having to match a bid at pick 1, and having to match a bid at pick 2, equates to us generating an extra pick in the late 30s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It doesn't even have to be direct in terms of money changing hands etc. for business opportunities.

E.g. Geelong recruiting players - they all buy investment properties down in the area, and the "ease" in which they can do this is pretty incredible. People helping them find the right property, the right loan, and for a price that's erm, not typical for the market. Nothing to do with other money going into bank accounts, but potentially worth even six figures depending on how you look at it.
Easy to do when Frank Costa owns half of Geelong

Massive for us with Cameron going to Geelong 11,16 picks for sure then compo picks for Corr and the other 3 more than likely 12,22,33

That’s picks 11,12,16,22,33,39,46,66,82

So what if we trade our first 2020,2021 for picks 16,22,33,39 and O,Hallaron
Second round 2021

Dogs
16,22,33,36,39,49,85 total points 3423
Ugle- Hagen
O’Hallaron
Pick36
Pick39
Pick49
Second round 2021

GWS
Pick11
Pick12
Pick13
Pick46
First round 2021

Win win

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hamling was behind premiership contending KPDs at Geelong, no shame in that at all.
Crozier was an unfulfilled talent - like Jack Martin. Let's not forget we tried Crozier forward before shifting him behind the ball.
I think the point is that it’s easy to dismiss players as spuds just because they haven’t had many games.

Absolutely should be targeted by other clubs after the way Bevo played him this year, your naïve if you think otherwise.

Dunks is a gun midfielder and was thrown into the ruck, we cannot begrudge him if he gets a long term deal on good $$ to play midfield elsewhere.
So what?

Bevo is not the only coach that throws players around in fact most of the good clubs do. Sure you can be a one position player all your career but it’s likely to be at an average club.

And why assume Dunkley doesn’t like it? If you contest the ruck you are still in the midfield last time I looked.

That doesn’t mean Dunkley is a fan of Bevo. Dunkley seems like a ripping guy and I feel like it would take a lot for him to be offside, so I don’t think there is any substance to the rumour whatsoever.

In saying that, could you really begrudge a guy like Dunkley for being unhappy when he is an elite midfielder being forced to play ruck and HFF? I get some players have to be team first but there’s a limit.
And Bont, Danger and Martin are elite midfielders forced to play forward at times. This is called being a team player and I’m sure Dunks like the other 3 understands that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back