Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Mr. Walker

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only things I know about the upcoming national draft is what I read on these pages. There are no guarantees I know but everything I read indicates there will be a very good player at pick 13 available to us. I understand he may not be considered elite but any drop of in quality happens after about pick 15 or so. Nice position to be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VitalDread

The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs-NGA & VFL
Oct 9, 2011
Cranbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The only things I know about the upcoming national draft is what I read on these pages. There are no guarantees I know but everything I read indicates there will be a very good player at pick 13 available to us. I understand he may not be considered elite but any drop of in quality happens after about pick 15 or so. Nice position to be in.
Our talent pathway is probs one of the best so regardless of who we take
That person will be a handy player for us

Mr. Walker

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our talent pathway is probs one of the best so regardless of who we take
That person will be a handy player for us
Thanks for that Vital. Also I appreciate the work you do on this and other threads. Great contribution and ads to it greatly.
Probably an issue for another thread but after the draft is over I would like to hear your views on why the talent pathway at the Dogs is superior. It seems to me that for every Bailey Smith or Dale Morris that is produced you can point to a Webb or Everit that didn’t get as far as hoped. How do you judge one team’s performance against another’s?

ScragCity

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks for that Vital. Also I appreciate the work you do on this and other threads. Great contribution and ads to it greatly.
Probably an issue for another thread but after the draft is over I would like to hear your views on why the talent pathway at the Dogs is superior. It seems to me that for every Bailey Smith or Dale Morris that is produced you can point to a Webb or Everit that didn’t get as far as hoped. How do you judge one team’s performance against another’s?
Bailey Smith is not a great example. He would have thrived at any club. Someone like JJ is probably one of the better example of how well we have developed talent in recent years.

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Smith is not a great example. He would have thrived at any club. Someone like JJ is probably one of the better example of how well we have developed talent in recent years.
You could name a lot of our rookies as examples. Dahl, Morris and JJ could all have easily fizzled away, with Morris probably the best chance of succeeding at another club

Euku

Debutant
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i agree totally this makes keeping 13 a huge win for us

Yojimbo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2012
On the "Sweet Wagon"
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hartley leaving the bombers. He was all the rage on here a couple of months ago. Think he’ll do a solid job for someone.
Essendon like young Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, but they are also emptying out their entire rookie list which is
an interesting call, Hartley could end up at North and become another big fish while their youngsters
develop, Hartley and Walker from the Lions could attract attention given their age profile.

Dogs Rule

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Sweet Jesus, remember when we were really s*** back in 2014? Back when we had no flag, no hope or optimism at all? You know when we could really be critical of what the club was doing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
What about the 2016 grand final? That was just as good as it seemed.

In the words of Socrates: platitudes are shit
Well there was a theory that 2016 would be the start of a dynasty. We've basically rebuild the side since then.

I actually think we're set up better now than we were in previous years.

Triple Baileys

All Australian
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have 3 spots on senior list, and 5 rookies. I believe technically were allowed more than 4, but we almost never run with that many, so it looks like we'll do a rookie upgrade to fill one of those 3 spots
Ok, I had some idea that it is 4 rookie spots max, therefore, it is a given that one of them will be promoted because they are all contracted for 2020, the obvious choice being Lachie Young.

Last edited:

Anja_Nees

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
you evil man :devil:. The rumour I heard is that young Smith is a confident young man who is backing himself in to have another big year next year and command a big deal (with us!) and loves the idea of being a one-club player.

At least that is what I tell myself as I rock myself to sleep each night
Club keen on a deal, apparently it might happen soon but will be short term (ie two years) so he can back himself in for a big deal.

Doggstats

Club Legend
May 21, 2011
On the toilet.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
76ers, LA Angels
What do we think Power n co have planned to get enough points for next years NGA draft haul?

If Marra ends up going #1, how will we afford him after we win the flag and are left with pick 18.

As well as the other bids we may have to match...

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
What do we think Power n co have planned to get enough points for next years NGA draft haul?

If Marra ends up going #1, how will we afford him after we win the flag and are left with pick 18.

As well as the other bids we may have to match...
Worry about it next year. We have zero idea what the trajectory of our NGA kids will be between now and next draft. So pretty much hard to speculate what we need to do when we do not know their value. But have faith the club has it under control. Will likely see some picks or players shifted around to accommodate. May even take a hit and accept a points deficit in 2021, despite the paranoia of some about that. If Marra ends being a projected high end first round pick, then you have to cough up/make sacrifices.

Last edited:

Bont2Bruce

At the Destination Club
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Ok, I had some idea that it is 4 rookie spots max, therefore, it is a given that one of them will be promoted because they are all contracted for 2020, the obvious choice being Lachie Young.
The total players that can be on the club's lists (senior + rookie) is capped at 44 until it gets extended to 45 at the mid-season draft. The maximum number of senior listed players is 40 and the minimum is 38. Most clubs take 40 senior listed players but those with salary cap issues often take less. Sydney and GWS I think have been doing this for a while now.

We currently have 37 senior listed players contracted for 2020 and beyond and 5 rookie listed players who are contracted for 2020 (I believe Khamis received a 2 year deal when he was drafted, not what is shown on the pinned Contract thread on this board though).

We have to take 3 selections in the draft, one of which could be a rookie upgrade. In our case, it has to be, unless we delist one of our existing rookies (and likely pay them out in advance for their 2020 wages) which seems unlikely. If we draft 3 players, we would end up with 45 contracted players which is one more than allowed. The only solution would be to upgrade a rookie and draft 2 players, leaving us with 44 in total.

We won't be participating in the rookie draft as we have no room to add Cat A rookies. We could add a Cat B rookie, if we wanted to, as they aren't counted within the overall list size cap of 44.

Top Bottom