Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DognBones

Premium Gold
Sep 3, 2007
In a good place when we win
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Pugz89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
According to today's AFL article (link provided), we got nothing in return. If this is so, the exercise in giving up any future pick to move up 3 places seems odd unless one of the two eligible clubs in front of our 5th round pick (Ess and StKil) were known to be interested in him.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-12-02/who-you-should-barrack-against-in-2020-your-clubs-future-picks
Could have sworn the graphic on screen after the trade said we traded fourth rounders next year as well as traded up this year.

VitalDread

The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs-NGA & VFL
Oct 9, 2011
Cranbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Bailey Smith will be in our top 5-10 players by next year blokes a freak. Hes our fourth best mid after Bont, Macrae and Dunks. Libba and Wallis are the ones who will be playing 2s over Baz
I actually reckon Smith will kick 20+ goals next year
Might float forward a bit and be a mismatch for defenders

bobs head soup

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd like to see Smith get an extended run on a wing. With a full preseason, he'll have the tank to run all day and with a little time and space, his run, carry and ball use can be seriously damaging.

Virgin Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd like to see Smith get an extended run on a wing. With a full preseason, he'll have the tank to run all day and with a little time and space, his run, carry and ball use can be seriously damaging.
I seriously can't decide where I want to see Smith. I agree that he could be damaging up forward, while also thinking he has the skillset to be a very good winger. At the same time, I think his work in congestion is elite for his age, and he could really evolve into basically Dangerfield with a better kick, so I'm quite keen to see him played as an inside mid predominantly.

Can see him replacing Macrae from the current "big 3" inside mids, as I think Macrae is far better suited to an outside role where his insane workrate and often flawless delivery would really come in handy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dogwatch

Premium Platinum
Jun 17, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
According to today's AFL article (link provided), we got nothing in return. If this is so, the exercise in giving up any future pick to move up 3 places seems odd unless one of the two eligible clubs in front of our 5th round pick (Ess and StKil) were known to be interested in him.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-12-02/who-you-should-barrack-against-in-2020-your-clubs-future-picks
Fair enough (assuming the article is accurate). I think I heard it via the feed or a post on draft night. In any case a 5th round pick is worth almost nothing.

In Power's post draft interview he said he thought other clubs that still had picks were keen on him. That makes sense, for the same reasons we were keen: Late pick, low risk, very good form when fit, potentially high reward.

Sentinel

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Am I correct in assuming that we gave up next year's 4th round pick to Hawthorn to move 3 places up in this year's draft to select Garcia? If I'm incorrect could somebody clarify?
Yeah straight swap. As I read it, in the context of bidding next year - as it currently stands, worst case (we finish last) we've given up pick 58/194 points, best case (premiers) pick 73/9 points.

Capture.PNG

TiAn_

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah straight swap. As I read it, in the context of bidding next year - as it currently stands, worst case (we finish last) we've given up pick 58/194 points, best case (premiers) pick 73/9 points.

View attachment 788063
When looking at it from a draft points perspective we should also count our fourth this year that we didn’t use as a result of the trade.

Golden_6

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think this is the way to go for next year. We have a bit of a hole at the wing opposite Hunter with a mixture of players rolling through there each week.

There’s not a lot of room in our midfield so I don’t want to see him wasted as a forward for extended periods. Think the Mitch Duncan role.

TBOW

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Tom Daniels

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United~Woking Southampton
So based on last year's ladder and not including bids, trades, passes etc. etc. we have 13, 45 and 49. This equates to 1846 points, enough to match from Pick 3 onwards without going into deficit. We should be good folks

Bro_Pro

Debutant
Sep 3, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So based on last year's ladder and not including bids, trades, passes etc. etc. we have 13, 45 and 49. This equates to 1846 points, enough to match from Pick 3 onwards without going into deficit. We should be good folks
Correct! But I think we still have to draft 3 people regardless on how many picks we have

Bont2Bruce

At the Destination Club
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
What do the points work out to be when we are 2020 premiers?

House_of_Dahl

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have multiple strong FS and Academy players to (likely) pick up though - not just Marra. Think we need at least another second to add to that list ideally. A trade out reasonably likely to achieve that imo

Top Bottom