Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fletch will always be remembered as a Premiership player, we only have 42 in our VFL/AFL era.

Webb came back and played good football in the VFL after a horrific injury.

Wish them all the best with whatever their next adventure is

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Templeton was so good
And Footscray so bad
That the opposition would play 2 on him
And sacrafice a loose man.Whom was usually a very ordinary player.And in those days ,had no idea how to benefit.
Beasley was magnificent
But we have only ever had one Templeton.
Or mabye 2 Mr Football says hi ..
Templeton 15 goals 9 and I believe 1or 2 out of bounds was up there withe one of the most dominant games ever. In the last qtr the Saints basically had their whole team on him.

ROBERTS was a rookie pick who managed to get 7 years and a flag (seriously an AFL flag) out of a body that was slow and awkward but he managed to get the absolute best out of. He also appears to have an absolute spunk missus which for a man who looks like Widget the Worldwatcher is incredible.
Roberts was drafted in the PSD, was never on the rookie list.

Templeton 15 goals 9 and I believe 1or 2 out of bounds was up there withe one of the most dominant games ever. In the last qtr the Saints basically had their whole team on him.

Look, I’m a fan of Templeton, I was at that game - and the stats he racked up in that game were phenomenal. The reality though is he kicked early goals (and many points) against a 30yo Barry Breen. At the start of the last quarter, he was manned by Trevor Barker - that’s 183cm/78kg Barker. After Templeton barely noticed he had an opponent at that stage, Saints moved Robert Elliott - 188cm but effectively a tall flanker onto him. The last 10 mins, Saints basically gave up all over the ground. The stats are there as a historical record, and while he kicked goals against some good/great defenders over the years, the only value of the 78 game is for the record books, as far as I’m concerned. He kicked 9 against Southby 3 weeks earlier - and had to earn every one. THAT was a great individual effort against quality opposition.

"Contested marks" don't appear in the available stats from the '80s so we are left to subjective memories and impressions. Beasley was tall and did use take high marks, you might have caught the only pack mark he ever took (I don't call that iconic Edmonds-pointing-finger-to-head mark a contested mark, opportunism and I was there that day). Like Barry Hall, his forward craft was so good that the chest mark or, to satisfy the obtuse Dogwatch, the in-front-of-the-face mark on the lead lead to far more goals than the contested mark practitioners like Hawkins and Lynch.

What might assist your position is that my memory might not be much good. I thought that your namesake (perhaps your real name ?) Ivan, played as a tall half forward in the late '60s and must have been an immigrant troublesome Yugoslav. I now find that his name arguably makes him a remote cousin by marriage of our Princess Mary of Tasmania oops Denmark.

Interesting

I can’t be bothered chasing up more, but there are literally dozens of Beasley contested marks in our 80s games on YouTube and FNWB. My previous post also had the mark for his 100th in the semi v North. If you don’t think that’s a contested mark, I give up.

As I am a child of post-war migrants myself, I’m very careful assuming the origins of names I cant place - Rasmussen (only 3 s’s unlike My deliberate mis-spelling) is of Danish origin. Also Yugoslav is a very outdated reference - Serbs and Croats tend to have lots of names ending in ‘c’.

Fletch is the type of player you would love at your club.

Honest, no fuss, steps up when called upon and seemed to get on with what was asked of him.

Rapt he was part of 2016 will always be remembered.

Real clubman was Fletch

Go well Fletch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else hope the AFL scraps free agency compensation so that Essendon get nothing for Daniher when he declares that he wants to go to Sydney again next year?
I'd prefer that they scrap Free Agency instead. Then you don't have to worry about AFL deciding on compensation. Just let the clubs trade with one another for moving players. Trade players who fall out of contract, and who want to move. This whole FA is just cr4p as far as I'm concerned.

I'd prefer that they scrap Free Agency instead. Then you don't have to worry about AFL deciding on compensation. Just let the clubs trade with one another for moving players. Trade players who fall out of contract, and who want to move. This whole FA is just cr4p as far as I'm concerned.
Nah free agency is brilliant. Scrap the dumb compo though.

if you’re happy to continue to celebrate mediocrity then go for it mate. He’a not up to it and doesn’t deserve to be on the list it’s as simple as that

Rewatch the Port Adelaide game. He was immense.

And the Dees game where he kicked two excellent clutch goals from strong marks.

He was made a whipping boy after the Saints loss, even though there were plenty worse than him on the day.

Not sure I would say FA is brilliant but agree about the compo. I am still cheesed off about Frawley going to Hawthorn and Bulldogs drop down one place in the draft order. That's right, an arrangement between Melbourne and Hawthorn, nothing to with the Dogs, no benefit to the Dogs, yet we were penalised one draft spot.
But FA is here to stay. I wouldn't mind seeing Only the bottom nine clubs each year being eligible to take a FA. Would stop the big clubs pillaging the rest.

Not sure I would say FA is brilliant but agree about the compo. I am still cheesed off about Frawley going to Hawthorn and Bulldogs drop down one place in the draft order. That's right, an arrangement between Melbourne and Hawthorn, nothing to with the Dogs, no benefit to the Dogs, yet we were penalised one draft spot.
But FA is here to stay. I wouldn't mind seeing Only the bottom nine clubs each year being eligible to take a FA. Would stop the big clubs pillaging the rest.
I just don't think it's fair to have compo higher than end of 1st round. At the very least, every club should have the opportunity to take their first pick without it being compromised. The premier should always hold Pick 18, and no later (not counting trade outs, of course).

Moves like Higgins to North are completely fine, and honestly shows Free Agency working as intended. Seeing Lynch to Richmond was outright horseshit

The draft where our first pick was for Boyd? Also this year the teams that got FAs were demons, gold coast, and lions. 2 bottom teams and 1 that was at the bottom the previous year.

he is slow and isn’t strong. His lack of athleticism was easily his biggest problem. Good reader of the player and great kick of the ball.
Nah Dogman his biggest problem, was we persisted in trying to make him a key backman. We did this out of our needs, rather than his skill set. Had we displayed the same pig headedness in using him as a forward, I can't help thinking his story may have been significantly different.

So it is ok to lose a quality player, and get absolutely nothing in return ? If we are to continue with this crap, let the League independently place a valuation on the player, and then have the club taking him pay it. IE if the player is rated as equal to a first rounder in the draft, then the new club automatically gives their first round selection to the 'donor' club. At least that would be fair, and it would not thereby effect other clubs not involved, as the present/sometimes compensation system does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back