Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So true, my friend, so true. It's THE difference between GWS and GCS. GCS must be so bitter. What did they do wrong? Potential TV audience reach not as big?
One thing that worked strongly in GWS’ favour was coming in a year after GCS. They had the benefit of seeing how the entry concessions worked (without knowing at that stage whether GC would be successful) and so it seems they sat down and worked out a slightly more sophisticated strategy.

Not saying they developed it all on the spot - it has probably evolved and been refined over the years - but it seems their intent was less of a once-off shopping splurge than that of GCS. One obvious benefit of trying to spread their high level picks over many years is that you don’t waste valuable picks on non-elite players, once the top half dozen or so have gone.

Much as I dislike the club I admire their tactical approach to list building. It’s just a shame from their perspective that they’ve wasted a lot of carefully cultivated picks on dud players.

It’d be interesting to read a summary from an insider on the whole process, and to compare it to the way GCS went about the building of their own foundation playing list. I’d like to know whether all their moves have been deliberately crafted - or have some just been made up as they go along?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing that worked strongly in GWS’ favour was coming in a year after GCS. They had the benefit of seeing how the entry concessions worked (without knowing at that stage whether GC would be successful) and so it seems they sat down and worked out a slightly more sophisticated strategy.

Not saying they developed it all on the spot - it has probably evolved and been refined over the years - but it seems their intent was less of a once-off shopping splurge than that of GCS. One obvious benefit of trying to spread their high level picks over many years is that you don’t waste valuable picks on non-elite players, once the top half dozen or so have gone.

Much as I dislike the club I admire their tactical approach to list building. It’s just a shame from their perspective that they’ve wasted a lot of carefully cultivated picks on dud players.

It’d be interesting to read a summary from an insider on the whole process, and to compare it to the way GCS went about the building of their own foundation playing list. I’d like to know whether all their moves have been deliberately crafted - or have some just been made up as they go along?

With the amount of picks they have had their dud picks have become irrelevant because if they had hit on every pick they would have lost players due to salary cap restraint.

The way they used their concessions picks basically guaranteed them success even with SOS at the helm. They only had to hit 1 in 4-5 to build an elite core as they have.

Can’t wait til they start to struggle, they will be in dire peril after 3 bad years. No one will care

With the amount of picks they have had their dud picks have become irrelevant because if they had hit on every pick they would have lost players due to salary cap restraint.

The way they used their concessions picks basically guaranteed them success even with SOS at the helm. They only had to hit 1 in 4-5 to build an elite core as they have.

Can’t wait til they start to struggle, they will be in dire peril after 3 bad years. No one will care
Yes as it turned out they’ve had a salary cap squeeze anyway, but have so far turned it to advantage by unloading some quite good players in exchange for further high draft currency (Smith, Shiel, Patton, Scully, etc etc).

What I’m not convinced about is whether they’ve built a real *team* yet ... or have they just assembled a bunch of high quality mercenaries in orange jumpers?

The constant revolving door of high quality players would be unsettling. It wouldn’t make it easy to build a united list who play for their club and teammates above all else.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Suns had the misfortune of a s**t draft year. Fantastic luck for us to have Wallis and Libba that year,.

Suns had the misfortune of a s**t draft year. Fantastic luck for us to have Wallis and Libba that year,.
2010 was one of the worst draft years in memory.
The bigger kicker for us was grabbing Dahlhaus and JJ as rookies when most teams struggled to find one AFL standard footballer among their crop.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
2010 was one of the worst draft years in memory.
The bigger kicker for us was grabbing Dahlhaus and JJ as rookies when most teams struggled to find one AFL standard footballer among their crop.
To be fair, a lot of the blokes that went to GC suns could have turned out to be very good footballers in the right environment. The place was a shambles for years in terms of facilities and development. Would drastically improve a few draft metrics if that was taken into account imo.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And with JMac in charge of list management now there is a good chance they will have even more misses in the future.

And back it up with contracting duds to long term contracts and opening the door for good players to leave by not signing keepers up soon enough...

Jmac is on an incentive scheme that includes shitty Spotless stadium cider!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think they definitely learnt something from GC and also so did the AFL which was why the concessions were more generous

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 10, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How’s this for a 2021 forward line

FF Lloyd Bruce Weightman
HF Dale/Lipinski Naughton Jamarra

Lipinski as a mid forward rated elite for score assists and score involvements
Dale gives us that mobile medium forward option
Lloyd was our leading goal scorer this year
Bruce is Bruce
Naughton by this stage will have had a couple of pre seasons training as a forward...
Weightman is seen as the best small forward in this draft
Jamarra.. need we say more

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
How’s this for a 2021 forward line

FF Lloyd Bruce Weightman
HF Dale/Lipinski Naughton Jamarra

Lipinski as a mid forward rated elite for score assists and score involvements
Dale gives us that mobile medium forward option
Lloyd was our leading goal scorer this year
Bruce is Bruce
Naughton by this stage will have had a couple of pre seasons training as a forward...
Weightman is seen as the best small forward in this draft
Jamarra.. need we say more

A lot of water to go under the bridge yet.. Doubt we get Weightman, I think he will go before our pick. Bruce is also 27, so by the time Jamarra is playing good football Bruce will be retired. Naughton and Jamarra is exciting though.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot of water to go under the bridge yet.. Doubt we get Weightman, I think he will go before our pick. Bruce is also 27, so by the time Jamarra is playing good football Bruce will be retired. Naughton and Jamarra is exciting though.
Bruce may still have 5 years in him you never know. Could play till his 31 could do a couple more or may even last as long as Morris, as you say alot of water to go under the bridge

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Bruce may still have 5 years in him you never know. Could play till his 31 could do a couple more or may even last as long as Morris, as you say alot of water to go under the bridge

Jamara will probably take 5 years, his what 17 now? in 5 years he will be 22. So even if Bruce lasts 5 years, Jamara will only start peaking. Agree though - anything could happen.

Last edited:

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jamara will probably take 5 years, his what 17 now? in 5 years he will be 22. So even if Bruce lasts 5 years, Jamara will only start peaking. Agree though - anything could happen.
I can't see why Mara couldn't play in his first season. everyone is talking like his going to be a long way off but his already competing well against kids who will be playing afl this season. I think 5-10 games in 2021 is possible.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
I can't see why Mara couldn't play in his first season. everyone is talking like his going to be a long way off but his already competing well against kids who will be playing afl this season. I think 5-10 games in 2021 is possible.
Agreed. If King and Naughton can do it, why cant he? He ticks the profile of being athletic, being able to mark the ball, and is projected top 10 player. Not to put pressure on him, but I still feel its silly to assume he is some kind of late pick/long term project. With Bruce and Naughton commanding the best two defenders. There is no reason Jamarra cannot thrive from day 1. Yes he wont peak for years. Even Naughton isn't there yet. But he still found a way to impact early on.

That was just beautiful I will sleep well now

That was thoroughly enjoyable to wake up to on a Sunday...

Three things in the video I picked up that I hadn't seen or noticed before.

1. I despise Derwayne, but his comment that Essendon need a safe word was brilliant
2. The goal where Bont chips a little kick to Schache, the umpire (boundary I think) is blurred in the background laughing his head off
3. Dale earns a free kick and Schache plays on. 110pts up. Flog Roos says "why would you play on with a snap around the corner. It's too risky" - I guess that is why Melbourne suck Paul. If that is a risk at that time, your players would have hated playing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back