Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does wallis fit into our team next year?
I cant squeeze him, libba and mclean into the same midfield rotation with the others.

He has shown some potential as a mid sized forward.

Where does wallis fit into our team next year?
I cant squeeze him, libba and mclean into the same midfield rotation with the others.

He has shown some potential as a mid sized forward.
Great question.

There could be easily 5 to 8 players each week many could mount an argument for not playing in the AFL side.

It is why our opportunity is now wide open

Great question.

There could be easily 5 to 8 players each week many could mount an argument for not playing in the AFL side.

It is why our opportunity is now wide open
Weren’t we saying the same last year but didn’t end up having too many knocking on the door for a spot in the side?

Weren’t we saying the same last year but didn’t end up having too many knocking on the door for a spot in the side?
We were, however in saying that but for injuries that would have been the case for the last 3rd and a bit in the season just gone, and we have picked up more quality in most parts of the ground

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nailed the trade - not sure about the draft. Weightman a good predictable pick and replaces Dickson long term - great transition with Cavarra hopefully developing also.

The other two appear talented and I hope they do well but not sure I understand why Hilder or Kelly or Sokol were not picked up instead.

Today best 22 is hard to pick but let’s say this is the best player and back up *s means end of career 30+ in 2020) and need succession

Forwards:

Lloyd* (García) Bruce (Mara) Dickson* (Weightman)

Dale (Greene) Naughty (Gardiner) Wallis (Lipinski)

Rotation Ruck/Forward Schache (??)

Other: Cavarro, Macpherson, Raak, Gowers

Mids:

ENGLISH (Sweet) Bont (Williams), Libba (West)

Hunter (Porter) Macrae (Williams) Smith (Vandermeer)

Rotation: Dunkley (Jong) McLean (Porter)

Other: Hayes, Garcia

Backs

JJ (Richards) Keath (??) Wood*(LaYoung)

Cordy (Khamis) Young (Trengrove) Crozier (Duryea)

Rotation: Daniel (Suckling)

Other: R. Smith, Lynch, Butler

Looks like most things covered except maybe a young KPD - not sure who plays there for Footscray?

We lost Morris, Picken, Boyd, Roberts and Webb

Got: Bruce, Keath, Weightman, Butler, Garcia

Quality lost but not playing many games so big increase in capability. Plus Libba, Wallis, Dickson, Greene, Cavarro and Jong from injury.

So we went into the period after:

- Marking power / done = Bruce and Keath

- Small forward / done = Weightman

- Speed / = probably not with Butler not that fast but with JJ, Smith, Richard, Vandameer and Lynch

- size - our starting 22 likely to have Bruce, Keath, Libba, Wallis and perhaps Duryea / Trengrove so much bigger.

So we go into 2020 with a stronger list and most succession issues covered.

source.gif

If someone says Williams is the cover for BOTH Bont AND Macrae ever again....ill spew up
Yeah I agree should be Jong. Seriously though let’s hope those boys never suffer anything more than a week or two out injuries throughout, particularly whilst in there primes. Such a shame Chris Grant and Luke Darcy had such bad Knee injuries. Also Williams would probably flourish as a mid but he ain’t getting a chance without injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm imagining Bailey Smith getting a week in the VFL because our midfield and now forward line are pretty stacked. He'd be racking up 40+.

And be wearing a hawks jumper in 2021 if that happens
Yes we have our own "Pit Of Obligation" or P.O.O, but it is not as deep as Gold Coast's is getting. Probably
only has to be deep enough for English, Richards, Smith and Naughton at the moment and Naughton
writes his own checks and does not require "Gifted Games".

Yes we have our own "Pit Of Obligation" or P.O.O, but it is not as deep as Gold Coast's is getting. Probably
only has to be deep enough for English, Richards, Smith and Naughton at the moment and Naughton
writes his own checks and does not require "Gifted Games".

Smith can end up in VFL if he forms dips but it won’t be due to depth or being “stacked”

The Smith/Hawks fear mongering is getting annoying.

Smith was never going to extend his contract straight away no matter which club he landed with.

In fact pre draft he said he would prefer signing just a 1 year deal with whichever club he landed with when asked whether rookie contracts should be extended to 3 years.

'Smith would even be happier to sign a one-year contract first up. But his reasoning is unique.
“I reckon two years is fine, I’ve got no problem with it. Even one year - I couldn’t care less, just get your foot in the door, try prove yourself,” Smith told foxfooty.com.au.
“Probably one year would be better because you’ve got a shorter time to prove yourself and you’re more hungry to prove yourself. If you had a longer time, you’d think ‘I’ve got next year to show what I can do’.
“The shorter it is, I honestly think the better.”'

Last edited:
Classic bulldog masochism.

No it’s simple logic that I know not many in here understand

IF Smith is pushed out due to us being stacked after his fantastic 2019 then I’d imagine he wouldn’t be happy

Everyone knows the hawks are having a red hot crack so if doubts occur then I can see a kid who was a mad hawks fan and lists Clarkson as one of his hero’s maybe moving.

That being said I can’t see him missing out on best 22 in any case, so it shouldn’t be an issue and I was responding to someone that said he may end up in the VFL

CLASSIC BF party line attempted sarcasm that ignores the actual comments from you again

No it’s simple logic that I know not many in here understand

IF Smith is pushed out due to us being stacked after his fantastic 2019 then I’d imagine he wouldn’t be happy

Everyone knows the hawks are having a red hot crack so if doubts occur then I can see a kid who was a mad hawks fan and lists Clarkson as one of his hero’s maybe moving.

That being said I can’t see him missing out on best 22 in any case, so it shouldn’t be an issue and I was responding to someone that said he may end up in the VFL

CLASSIC BF party line attempted sarcasm that ignores the actual comments from you again

Settle down champ.

Wait, am I hearing this correctly ? Bailey Smith will be at the Hawks within two years if he has to play VFL this season ? Lol.

The reasons behind it are even more hilarious lololol.

As with Dahlhaus, I’d happily drive Smith to Clarkos house to sign the contract if he ever turned out to be a thin skinned pea heart who would rather jump ship than fight for his spot.
Luckily, Smith doesn’t seem like the type and being only 19yrs of age i’ll put my house on him not going to the Hawks for the hilarious reasons given on here.

Now that the draft is over, can someone please explain who will be on the rookie list and how many players are actually going to be on it? (sorry if someone has gone through this a few pages back.)

Nailed the trade - not sure about the draft. Weightman a good predictable pick and replaces Dickson long term - great transition with Cavarra hopefully developing also.

The other two appear talented and I hope they do well but not sure I understand why Hilder or Kelly or Sokol were not picked up instead.

Today best 22 is hard to pick but let’s say this is the best player and back up *s means end of career 30+ in 2020) and need succession

Forwards:

Lloyd* (García) Bruce (Mara) Dickson* (Weightman)

Dale (Greene) Naughty (Gardiner) Wallis (Lipinski)

Rotation Ruck/Forward Schache (??)

Other: Cavarro, Macpherson, Raak, Gowers

Mids:

ENGLISH (Sweet) Bont (Williams), Libba (West)

Hunter (Porter) Macrae (Williams) Smith (Vandermeer)

Rotation: Dunkley (Jong) McLean (Porter)

Other: Hayes, Garcia

Backs

JJ (Richards) Keath (??) Wood*(LaYoung)

Cordy (Khamis) Young (Trengrove) Crozier (Duryea)

Rotation: Daniel (Suckling)

Other: R. Smith, Lynch, Butler

Looks like most things covered except maybe a young KPD - not sure who plays there for Footscray?

We lost Morris, Picken, Boyd, Roberts and Webb

Got: Bruce, Keath, Weightman, Butler, Garcia

Quality lost but not playing many games so big increase in capability. Plus Libba, Wallis, Dickson, Greene, Cavarro and Jong from injury.

So we went into the period after:

- Marking power / done = Bruce and Keath

- Small forward / done = Weightman

- Speed / = probably not with Butler not that fast but with JJ, Smith, Richard, Vandameer and Lynch

- size - our starting 22 likely to have Bruce, Keath, Libba, Wallis and perhaps Duryea / Trengrove so much bigger.

So we go into 2020 with a stronger list and most succession issues covered.
Totally agree....Nailed the trade - not sure about the draft.

I still thought, even with Kemp on one leg was still the BPA, (we had the opportunity to wait till he was fully healed) He was touted as a top 5 pick and skilled to play at a high level through the fwd/back or rotate in the midfield before the injury.
I have seen no reports to say he won't fully recover from the ACL (there is obviously a risk with an ACL but Kemp is high reward), he just may not be back in 2020.

Weightman was picked for need, not BPA which you have to with 1st rounders.
B Smith and McLean played brilliantly in the fwd line at the back half of the season, I would not be moving them out of the fwd line ( unless form or injuries)
such was their chemistry they helped enable the doggies to have an effective forward line.

Our last 2 picks play in positions where we are overloaded at, how we don't go with Sokol(WAFL leading goal scorer) or Kelly (back up ruck/defender) these 2 would have rounded out our list way better than another rebounding defender/ potential winger (we can deploy Williams or Caleb on the wings for a better-proven kick) or a very small injured midfielder.

I'll be shocked (unless massive injuries occur) if Butler or Garcia even play in the first 3 years, such is the depth we have in these positions.
We could take 2 injuries to players in the Midfield or rebounding defenders and adequately cover them with quality players.
We could not take 1 or 2 injuries to either the rucks, big defender or medium fwd, to now be a big weakness to be exploited by the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back