Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Now that the draft is over, can someone please explain who will be on the rookie list and how many players are actually going to be on it? (sorry if someone has gone through this a few pages back.)
There is no change to the players on our rookie list. Apparently Khamis has been made a Cat B rookie for 2020. The other 4 are Cat A rookies.

Isn't Gardner more of a key back than forward?
I wouldn't play him forward at VFL level let alone AFL level.
If we're missing 1-2 of Schac/Naughton/Bruce we bring in the form player, not a tall like-for-like. Good luck to the kid but I see him as KPD depth and probably fifth in line after Keath/Cordy/Young/Trengove, and even then at the start of last year we chose to play 185cm Wood as a KPD for a few games.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, if we were missing one or two of our tall forwards for some reason, I'd prefer to go a smaller forward line and put West up there. He's a good pressure forward and certainly better than a key back is at the position. We have enough really good midfielders that putting West and B Smith up forward wouldn't nerf our midfield.

Am I correct in assuming that we gave up next year's 4th round pick to Hawthorn to move 3 places up in this year's draft to select Garcia? If I'm incorrect could somebody clarify?
Pretty sure we swapped our 2020 4th for Hawthorn's 2020 5th rounder.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
According to today's AFL article (link provided), we got nothing in return. If this is so, the exercise in giving up any future pick to move up 3 places seems odd unless one of the two eligible clubs in front of our 5th round pick (Ess and StKil) were known to be interested in him.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-12...rrack-against-in-2020-your-clubs-future-picks
Could have sworn the graphic on screen after the trade said we traded fourth rounders next year as well as traded up this year.

Bailey Smith will be in our top 5-10 players by next year blokes a freak. Hes our fourth best mid after Bont, Macrae and Dunks. Libba and Wallis are the ones who will be playing 2s over Baz
I actually reckon Smith will kick 20+ goals next year
Might float forward a bit and be a mismatch for defenders

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd like to see Smith get an extended run on a wing. With a full preseason, he'll have the tank to run all day and with a little time and space, his run, carry and ball use can be seriously damaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd like to see Smith get an extended run on a wing. With a full preseason, he'll have the tank to run all day and with a little time and space, his run, carry and ball use can be seriously damaging.
I seriously can't decide where I want to see Smith. I agree that he could be damaging up forward, while also thinking he has the skillset to be a very good winger. At the same time, I think his work in congestion is elite for his age, and he could really evolve into basically Dangerfield with a better kick, so I'm quite keen to see him played as an inside mid predominantly.

Can see him replacing Macrae from the current "big 3" inside mids, as I think Macrae is far better suited to an outside role where his insane workrate and often flawless delivery would really come in handy

According to today's AFL article (link provided), we got nothing in return. If this is so, the exercise in giving up any future pick to move up 3 places seems odd unless one of the two eligible clubs in front of our 5th round pick (Ess and StKil) were known to be interested in him.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-12...rrack-against-in-2020-your-clubs-future-picks
Fair enough (assuming the article is accurate). I think I heard it via the feed or a post on draft night. In any case a 5th round pick is worth almost nothing.

In Power's post draft interview he said he thought other clubs that still had picks were keen on him. That makes sense, for the same reasons we were keen: Late pick, low risk, very good form when fit, potentially high reward.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Am I correct in assuming that we gave up next year's 4th round pick to Hawthorn to move 3 places up in this year's draft to select Garcia? If I'm incorrect could somebody clarify?
Yeah straight swap. As I read it, in the context of bidding next year - as it currently stands, worst case (we finish last) we've given up pick 58/194 points, best case (premiers) pick 73/9 points.

Capture.PNG

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah straight swap. As I read it, in the context of bidding next year - as it currently stands, worst case (we finish last) we've given up pick 58/194 points, best case (premiers) pick 73/9 points.

View attachment 788063

When looking at it from a draft points perspective we should also count our fourth this year that we didn’t use as a result of the trade.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think this is the way to go for next year. We have a bit of a hole at the wing opposite Hunter with a mixture of players rolling through there each week.

There’s not a lot of room in our midfield so I don’t want to see him wasted as a forward for extended periods. Think the Mitch Duncan role.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back