Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this assessment include potential or exposed ability so far?

If it's exposed ability only I'd have Smith at 1. If we're still drafting with potential in mind also, I'd have Walsh a lot higher. He has a proven floor that is higher than what most of those guys have shown on exposed form so far (if that makes sense).

Potential. If the draft was held again today, what would the order be.

2018 Re-draft.

1. Ben king
2. Max king
3. Connor rozee
4. Bailey smith
5. Tarryn Thomas
6. Jack lukosius
7. Xavier duursma
8. Sam Walsh.

And we haven’t even seen Rankin yet.

Going to end up being an incredible draft.
Can understand the Kings rising up, but can't see why anyone would take Thomas or Duursma ahead of Walsh

2018 Re-draft.

1. Ben king
2. Max king
3. Connor rozee
4. Bailey smith
5. Tarryn Thomas
6. Jack lukosius
7. Xavier duursma
8. Sam Walsh.

Probably the best first round of a draft for ages.

1. Ben King
2. Bailey Smith
3. Jack Lukosius
4. Max King
5. Connor Rozee
6. Sam Walsh
7. Tarryn Thomas
8. Izak Rankine
9. Xavier Duursma*

Not sure I would take Duursma next.

Some underrating of Rankine and Lukosius by many. Rankine due to injury but Lukosius is tracking really well as a 2nd tall.

Last edited:

2018 Re-draft.

1. Ben king
2. Max king
3. Connor rozee
4. Bailey smith
5. Tarryn Thomas
6. Jack lukosius
7. Xavier duursma
8. Sam Walsh.

Great crop no doubt. If you could reselect them based on what we have now seen, my order of preference would be;

1. Max King
2. Ben King
3. Bailey Smith
4. Jack Lukosios
5. Sam Walsh
6. Connor Rozee
7. Xavier Duursma
8. Tarryn Thomas

All very good. Rankine may end up high on the list, really like Jones, McHenry, Butters, Blakey and others also.

Potential. If the draft was held again today, what would the order be.
Copy that.
Can understand the Kings rising up, but can't see why anyone would take Thomas or Duursma ahead of Walsh
Yeah agreed.

Walsh had one of the best first seasons of recent history last year. He's already proven capable of a level of play that's higher than most others here, plus still has lots of room for growth.

So on exposed form he's still ahead of most and I don't think many of the others have shown enough potential to go past him in that area either.

Walsh still a top 3 pick for mine, despite the drop off this season.

Great crop no doubt. If you could reselect them based on what we have now seen, my order of preference would be;

1. Max King
2. Ben King
3. Bailey Smith
4. Jack Lukosios
5. Sam Walsh
6. Connor Rozee
7. Xavier Duursma
8. Tarryn Thomas

All very good. Rankine may end up high on the list, really like Jones, McHenry, Butters, Blakey and others also.

Jordan Clark is pretty underrated for my money.

Copy that.
Yeah agreed.

Walsh had one of the best first seasons of recent history last year. He's already proven capable of a level of play that's higher than most others here, plus still has lots of room for growth.

So on exposed form he's still ahead of most and I don't think many of the others have shown enough potential to go past him in that area either.

Walsh still a top 3 pick for mine, despite the drop off this season.

Walsh is a very solid player. He has a lot of Marc Murphy about him. Great runner. Does his bit. Not damaging by foot.

I’ll take the genuine class of rozee, Thomas and duursma. Guys like Walsh are easier to find IMO.

Walsh is a very solid player. He has a lot of Marc Murphy about him. Great runner. Does his bit. Not damaging by foot.

I’ll take the genuine class of rozee, Thomas and duursma. Guys like Walsh are easier to find IMO.
Yep they're different types of players but I think whatever their ceiling is, Walsh has shown he is more likely to reach it than the others at this point.
And I also haven't seen enough evidence at this stage that others' ceilings will be higher than his (apart from Smith).

Don’t think either were coached by the Great McCarthey
Ah, you literary fellows, a bit light weight but a fun read.

Anyway, I left out "would have" between "they" and "had". That's what happens if you put an extra spoon of sugar in weak tea.

That's an interesting question. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. Being a "leftie" is more about political correctness than pursuit of wealth, look at 3/4 of Hollywood.
Peter Gordon probably has a net worth of $100mm, which is slightly more than me. I know someone who has worked with him and from business point of view is as hard as a cats head. So not sure what this talk of being a "leftie" is all about.

Maybe it's because he wears his underpants on the outside?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Gordon probably has a net worth of $100mm, which is slightly more than me. I know someone who has worked with him and from business point of view is as hard as a cats head. So not sure what this talk of being a "leftie" is all about.

Are you suggesting that leaning left means you can’t be a hard a$$?

I don’t think anyone would question PG business ability but there is no doubt his policies are creeping further left Publicly as time goes by but as I lawyer I’m not sure I believe every word he utters and I don’t believe he is beyond lip service to further his own nest

.... So not sure what this talk of being a "leftie" is all about.

I refer back to my previous answer and no comment on where blokes wear their underpants, may not wear them at all.

Are you suggesting that leaning left means you can’t be a hard a$$?

I don’t think anyone would question PG business ability but there is no doubt his policies are creeping further left Publicly as time goes by but as I lawyer I’m not sure I believe every word he utters and I don’t believe he is beyond lip service to further his own nest
Not at all. I was inferring (perhaps erroneously) that people were arguing being a "leftie" precluded one from being a hard ar$e. Totally not the case.

I would never question Peter Gordon having the club's best interests at heart. He would be the last person to accuse of that. Not suggesting you are.

I refer back to my previous answer and no comment on where blokes wear their underpants, may not wear them at all.
My physio told me a rather funny story about Martin Pike not wearing his underpants when he should have been. But we will leave that to another time. Martin Pike won 4 premierships which is staggering given his predilection for poor behaviour.

Last edited:
That's an interesting question. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. Being a "leftie" is more about political correctness than pursuit of wealth, look at 3/4 of Hollywood.

3 of the 4 richest people I know are always correcting me about my lack of political correctness. It’s not a sign of ‘leftist’ or not.... glad you can understand the distinction.

I still think we should be after a genuine KPD to take the big key forwards. Keath is good but I’d prefer him playing the Rance role, we still need our Astbury.

Talia is a potential name given his age and the Crows willingness to rebuild but I’d suspect we burnt a few bridges there a while back.
Both Talia brothers burnt them with us.

Peter Gordon did the hard yards in the late '80s. fundraising for "Keep Footscray at Footscray". Smorgo aside, he's the third greatest President, we've ever had. He's not infallible. He's a leftie, whilst we are at it. Be respectful but be careful.
He’s by far the greatest president we’ve ever had and probably ever will have. Any doubts I ever had about Gordon vanished after I saw that Fox Footy special where Gordon, Collis (Syd) Koche (Port) and McGuire (Coll) had a round table discussion about footy a year or so ago. He is always the smartest person in the room. We are so lucky that we have him

Probably the best first round of a draft for ages.

1. Ben King
2. Bailey Smith
3. Jack Lukosius
4. Max King
5. Connor Rozee
6. Sam Walsh
7. Tarryn Thomas
8. Izak Rankine
9. Xavier Duursma*

Not sure I would take Duursma next.

Some underrating of Rankine and Lukosius by many. Rankine due to injury but Lukosius is tracking really well as a 2nd tall.
Knowing how rare it is for a young key forward to have the traits that Max King has. Marks the ball at the highest point. Agility, and a really nice kick. And the fact he’s 202 cms. I can’t see in highlight how he would slip past pick 2 with his brother. Those players are rare as hens teeth. As much as we love Baz they are a hell of a lot more common. Lucky we get Jamarra next year. Hopefully he’s similar to the Kings. Albeit around 5cms shorter.

Knowing how rare it is for a young key forward to have the traits that Max King has. Marks the ball at the highest point. Agility, and a really nice kick. And the fact he’s 202 cms. I can’t see in highlight how he would slip past pick 2 with his brother. Those players are rare as hens teeth. As much as we love Baz they are a hell of a lot more common. Lucky we get Jamarra next year. Hopefully he’s similar to the Kings. Albeit around 5cms shorter.
I think that Baz's mix of speed, skill, aggression and determination is actually an extremely rare package. Look at every list management thread and that type of player is the top of most lists.

That said the Kings do look like extremely good prospects and have the potential to be two of the most dominant key position player's in the competition so would be hard to pass on.

Rozee is a real matchwinner but not as consistent as Smith so I'd go Smith over Rozee.

Lukosius is interesting as I'm not sure what role he ends up playing long term. Doesn't have the Arial dominance of the Kings which is important in this age of congestion but does everything else well.

I'd go:
Max King
Ben King
Smith
Rozee
Lukosius
Walsh
Rankine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back