Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euku

All Australian
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schache is an interesting one with people suggesting wing, back up ruck etc.
Is there any chance we can learn from the past and try to Liam Jones him into a key position defender?
no wing half forward backup ruck no to defense

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

His skills are very very good in this albeit short highlight package, a nice burst of speed too, strong in the air, good step in traffic and a penetrating, direct style of play... Bailey Williams vibes anyone? Maybe even Hugh Mcclugage on the right wing vibes?

My memory of him from his draft year is he was a real solid, strong leader type who did everything well enough. Wouldn’t say he’s a desperate need but one of those players who could come in to the team to replace anyone from half back to wing to hff, considering some of the players we’ve played through those positions at times this year that’s not a bad thing to add to the list if he comes cheap. can’t have enough players who can hit a leading Player inside 50 as well.

I feel like he’d definitely be fighting with McLean and Lip for a position but I hate to say it as Toby is one of my absolute favs but when a player does a knee these days it’s more of a bonus if they make it back for me, I’m not planning around them. How many players do we have that have done one knee? It always seems to be do the first and your chances of a second are tenfold. Plus he relies on his agility Toby. Still so shattered for the bloke.

My vision for the wings is Hunter defensive wing JJ attacking wing - half forward, on the other side Vander attacking wing to HF maybe O’Hallaran can be the defensive wing we lack on this side? The role Rourke is playing quite well at the moment.
And he would be the first Xavier to leave the plastics so that’s gotta get us excited.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
it looks like Essendon are looking at an exodus similar to the Crows. Is there anyone there we would look to go after.

Also, noticed an article today that Essendon might make a play for Talia even though he still has a year to run. Would be a great fit for us so is there any chance of us cutting their lunch????
We would have to supply him with a mobile phone!

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If the deal was sound I'd be happy to trade JJ. Softish player with pace and poor ball use. Reckon we could cover him with Richards.

Free up cap. Get a first Rd pick.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If the deal was sound I'd be happy to trade JJ. Softish player with pace and poor ball use. Reckon we could cover him with Richards.

Free up cap. Get a first Rd pick.

I agree with this. While I am tempted to say we need to keep him because he thrives in big games and big moments, he’s one of the worst offenders when it comes to inconsistent performance. You replace JJ with someone with 80% of his raw talent/speed but who is hard and consistent, it’s a win for the club. And as you point out, because he has a really good reputation, we probably get a first for him.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Forgive me if it has already been mentioned, but some comments on AFL reddit say that JJ is potentially being traded to Freo. Any credible info on this?
Yeah sorry dude, I was one of the people who started that years ago, got one of the Roar journos to post about it. Gets repeated every year now. He's going nowhere but still funny to repeat every trade season to see which nuffy journalist posts it as "mail"

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree with this. While I am tempted to say we need to keep him because he thrives in big games and big moments, he’s one of the worst offenders when it comes to inconsistent performance. You replace JJ with someone with 80% of his raw talent/speed but who is hard and consistent, it’s a win for the club. And as you point out, because he has a really good reputation, we probably get a first for him.
Okay but whose available that has 80% of JJs raw talent/speed but who is hard and consistent? And if there is someone like that available what do we use to bring them in? The first rounder we got for JJ as a start but that wouldn’t get it done for a player like that. So we’re kicking out a massively popular loyal norm smith medalist to pay more for a slightly better player in the same role

doesn’t sound like ideal list management

Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ben Brown is being forced out of the Roos. Quite unbelievable.

Had a poor 2020 - kicked over 60 in each of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Indeed kicked the most goals of any player in the comp between 2017 to 2019.

28 years old in November this year.

The way they’re talking, cost is 500k salary and maybe a 2nd rounder! Incredible!!

Could it work for us? Imagine 2021:

Forward talls: Brown, Bruce, JUH
Defence talls: Naughton, Keath, Cordy

Scary!

Last edited:

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Had a poor 2020 - kicked over 60 in each of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Indeed kicked the most goals of any player in the comp between 2017 to 2019.

The way they’re talking, cost is 500k salary and maybe a 2nd rounder! Incredible!!

Scary!
Can't see us going after him tbh. With Naughts, JUH and Bruce, we are fine for fwds and that isn't even including Schache. Suspect Dons go hard if Joe leaves.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Scary!
Thank God (JUH) we aren't mentioned as one of the interested parties

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Scary!
That's 12 players off Norfs list now with probably more to come. Their cap space must be massive. Will be interesting to see how their list manager plays it and who they can get there.

Lol Norf.

Brown will have no shortage of suitors, but he's not for us. Can see Adelaide, Essendon, Sydney amongst the interested clubs.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Okay but whose available that has 80% of JJs raw talent/speed but who is hard and consistent? And if there is someone like that available what do we use to bring them in? The first rounder we got for JJ as a start but that wouldn’t get it done for a player like that. So we’re kicking out a massively popular loyal norm smith medalist to pay more for a slightly better player in the same role

doesn’t sound like ideal list management

I guess I am of the same opinion as the original poster. We find them on our list. I believe Richards and Vandemeer both have the capacity to fill that roll at significantly more than 80%. Until he disappeared from the face of the earth, Lynch would have to. I honestly thought he could have been anything. Don’t forget Butler as well.

O’Hallaran from GWS could be another with the capacity to do it.

To clarify, I am not suggesting that we should be proactively out there trying to trade him, just that if the club actually did it, I would understand the decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not the trade JJ fan club again. Our list is one that is very tight on and off the field. You dont trade lifelong bulldogs and he wouldnt fetch anywhere close to a 1st you would be getting a 2nd at best. I think his game will evolve into playing a HFF from the HBF in a year or two and replace Vandermeer in that role who we hope transitions to the wing. JJ is also very versatile as if we get a few injuries he can cover 3 positions quite well. Worth more to us than what we would get in return

Last edited:

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Not the trade JJ fan club again. Our list is one that is very tight on and off the field. You dont trade lifelong bulldogs and he wouldnt fetch anywhere close to a 1st you would be getting a 2nd at best. I think his game will revolve into playing a HFF from the HBF in a year or two and replace Vandermeer in that role who we hope transitions to the wing. JJ is also very versatile as if we get a few injuries he can cover 3 positions quite well. Worth more to us than what we would get in return

I think Your right in terms of rotating our three “fasts” to different positions. JJ further up the ground, Vandemeer to a wing and Richards on the HBF. In the current set up, both Richards and JJ seem to go missing way too often.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm a bit of a JJ critic but

A) we cannot go backwards in our age profile
B) he's been better since he played higher up the ground
C) Valuable pace

Think his role should be in tandem with VDM playing wing/hff. JJ should be more focused on getting the ball in quickly rather than precisely.

We don't need cap space nor do we need another first for this year.

We should be trying to keep as many best 22 types as possible. Don't need to be going backwards in age again.

Correct. And with smaller lists, we won’t want to carry as many development types.

Have said it each of the last 3 off seasons. We need to get older.

It was, we need to get older and bigger, but Bruce and Keath have corrected that.

I’d rather move on guys like porter and khamis and sift through the low end free agent and trade lists for guys like Lloyd (who was awesome value for us don’t forget) or duryea.

Brown is a great player. Bad knee this year, and the worst supply ever. But he’s not for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We should be trying to keep as many best 22 types as possible. Don't need to be going backwards in age again.
Agreed. JJ is more than just best 22 also. He's been in our b&f top 10 5 seasons in a row (6th, 10th, 2nd, 7th, 4th) and has been voted into the leadership group.

He often gets called inconsistent, but he's really not. Rarely misses a game (27 year Olds who front up every week are valuable for our list demographic,) and has a great big game record.

If we have 6-8 untouchables, he's one of them. Unless somebody makes a ridiculous offer, no way does he leave.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe they know how bad his knee is, they do have Larkey in the wings and Xerri shows a bit as a backup forward/ruck. The way they are cutting players is quite scary at the moment, i think they have the Fantasy guy on staff, but someone should tell him you don't get unlimited trades before the season starts.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
North are eyeing of lots of DFA, who will be more suited to their game plan. Their list needs a good clean and this is probably the best year to do it. There is going to be 50-120 delisted players and many will be better than the ones North are delisting.

I worry about the effect on their team unity and identity BUT if they select the right players & recruit clearly, they will be back to mediocre very quickly. And I think we can all agree, that North in the middle of the ladder is the best spot for them.

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This trade JJ talk is fantasy land stuff. How often do clubs trade contracted best 22 players who are long term leadership group members, popular with the players, with no off-field issues or fallouts with coaches? It’s just not how AFL player movement works. This isn’t the NBA or NFL.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Correct. And with smaller lists, we won’t want to carry as many development types.

Have said it each of the last 3 off seasons. We need to get older.

It was, we need to get older and bigger, but Bruce and Keath have corrected that.

I’d rather move on guys like porter and khamis and sift through the low end free agent and trade lists for guys like Lloyd (who was awesome value for us don’t forget) or duryea.

Brown is a great player. Bad knee this year, and the worst supply ever. But he’s not for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those who are advocating that we trade JJ for picks must love being in a perpetual rebuild.

Would I trade JJ for a pick? No I agree with you.

I more mentioned the first rd pick as his value.

But if we could say get Stephenson by losing JJ?

Say we got a 1st Rd for JJ. Pies could use a pick like that.

We get some wing/fwd speed finally while playing Richards in his prime position. And improving our cap situation.

List shrinkage means that there will be no shortage of cheap older players around to build our lists age profile.

JJ does little if teams tag or physically pressure him and is overrated by many making him an ideal sell high candidate IMO.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would I trade JJ for a pick? No I agree with you.

I more mentioned the first rd pick as his value.

But if we could say get Stephenson by losing JJ?

Say we got a 1st Rd for JJ. Pies could use a pick like that.

We get some wing/fwd speed finally while playing Richards in his prime position. And improving our cap situation.

List shrinkage means that there will be no shortage of cheap older players around to build our lists age profile.

JJ does little if teams tag or physically pressure him and is overrated by many making him an ideal sell high candidate IMO.

JJ isn't even playing half back at the moment. You'd almost need 2 others to drop out to fit Richards into the 7 man defensive rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back