Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great joint but would have to have the worst acoustics of any pub in Melbourne.

If there’s anymore than 10 people in the bistro section, you need a mega phone to have a chat with others on your table.

Their pr0n Star Martini’s make up for the sound issues though. They deserve a Michelin Star just for those.

Off topic but I agree about the pr0n Star Martini! So tasty.

Dunno about the rest of it, but surely 600k for 5 years is insane for McStay?
Passable 3rd tall at either end, but jeeze that's a lot
A lot of the issue with AFL salary cao management and "cap room" is that so many teams have blokes on minimum or next to minimum deals, especially beyond player 20 or 25 on their list, that when these players establish themselves in a 22 it leaves a host of money open to recruit whoever at another club.

This is espeically true when you put money aside for early draft picks that simply don't get that money because they don't establish themselves as players, e.g. Carlton would be paying Dow and O'Brien next to nothing, allowing them to pay Saad and Williams. For example, it's not uncommon for a draftee to sign a 3-year extension with the final year money predicated on performances in the first two years in which the final year salary depends on best and fairest results in the final two years. A player earning $300k or $150k could be the difference between finishing 9th and 12th in the B&F or finishing 23rd and 19th in those two years.

Pretty sure the team in question for Tex isn't dogs. It's probably Swans or Demons. McDonald is probably set to retire at the end of the year and Swans have Reid and Sinclair who would be set to retire too.

A lot of the issue with AFL salary cao management and "cap room" is that so many teams have blokes on minimum or next to minimum deals, especially beyond player 20 or 25 on their list, that when these players establish themselves in a 22 it leaves a host of money open to recruit whoever at another club.

This is espeically true when you put money aside for early draft picks that simply don't get that money because they don't establish themselves as players, e.g. Carlton would be paying Dow and O'Brien next to nothing, allowing them to pay Saad and Williams. For example, it's not uncommon for a draftee to sign a 3-year extension with the final year money predicated on performances in the first two years in which the final year salary depends on best and fairest results in the final two years. A player earning $300k or $150k could be the difference between finishing 9th and 12th in the B&F or finishing 23rd and 19th in those two years.
I can tell you as a matter of fact the B&F based contractual agreements don’t occur in mainstream agencies anymore. Maybe they were popular 5-10 years ago but money men are much smarter nowadays and agencies don’t do this to their players. There’s also CBA agreements preventing certain % raises for performance based incentives due to impacting total earning capacity etc.

THE SYDNEY FORWARD WESTERN BULLDOGS WOULD "PICK UP TOMORROW"​

Dermott Brereton believes Sydney Swans forward Hayden McLean would be a perfect fit for the Western Bulldogs.

With the mid-season draft fast approaching, the former Hawk has put up a hypothetical trade that he thinks the Dogs would love.

McLean, 23, is currently plying his trade in Syndey’s VFL side as young Swan Logan McDonald keeps him out of the senior squad.

The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019 – and has only managed 29 AFL games since that match.

With Josh Bruce recovering from an ACL injury, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan still learning his craft and Sam Darcy still developing, Brereton believes McLean would be a perfect second forward alongside spearhead Aaron Naughton.

“I love the notion of ‘lets give people a chance to play’, I don’t like the fact that we have rules that stop players from playing at the highest level," Brereton said on AFL Nation.

Hayden McLean would get picked up by the Bulldogs tomorrow in a mid-season draft.

“Through no bad form, they’re going with Logan McDonald as the second tall forward (instead of McLean).

“(A mid-season trade period) would allow him to play senior football next weekend.”

McLean has played eight games this season for a return of 10 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what does this do to Lobb's asking price

FT1bX26aMAAshpr

I know we have heard whispers of English's imminent re-signing but there is a scenario that still troubles me. WC decides that Naitanui is so banged-up they don't offer him another contract. They then offer English at least a 1 million X 5 year deal to be their No1 ruckman with the added bonus of going home to live with his girlfriend.
Is this scenario totally out of the question?

I know we have heard whispers of English's imminent re-signing but there is a scenario that still troubles me. WC decides that Naitanui is so banged-up they don't offer him another contract. They then offer English at least a 1 million X 5 year deal to be their No1 ruckman with the added bonus of going home to live with his girlfriend.
In that scenario English would have to accept playing for a bottom 4 side and in graveyard 4.40 time slots for 5 years. We haven’t even been good this year and we still get constant prime time games.

He knows that big contract from Perth is waiting whenever he wants it.

The netball season is short, the girlfriend will spend more time in Melbourne this year than Perth.

In that scenario English would have to accept playing for a bottom 4 side and in graveyard 4.40 time slots for 5 years. We haven’t even been good this year and we still get constant prime time games.

He knows that big contract from Perth is waiting whenever he wants it.
It’s a silly time for WCE to be going after him unless they’re walking him to the PSD.

I’ve said before but English’s manager (if he’s doing his job) should get him a 2year + 3year option deal even if on slightly less money than a locked-in 5 year deal. Gives him the security of a 5 year deal but the option to use free agency or renegotiate in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back