Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another review at Essendon. I reckon they’ll try and spend plenty on one of Dunks, Hopper, Taranto.

If I were them I'd be going for Hopper, but my guess is it'll end up being Taranto. Should be easier to extract players out of GWS than Dunkley out of the dogs - given current/potential performances and the Treloar friendship.

That said, wouldn't surprise me if Dunkley left if the offer is significant.

Baz is the one that I'm most fearful of, someone like the Bombers/Hawks or even Kangaroos (less likely) can and should be all in on this kid and have the money we don't?
Baz like Bont makes a s**t load of cash outside of football meaning they take unders to be in a challenging team not a rebuilding dud one

If I were them I'd be going for Hopper, but my guess is it'll end up being Taranto. Should be easier to extract players out of GWS than Dunkley out of the dogs - given current/potential performances and the Treloar friendship.

That said, wouldn't surprise me if Dunkley left if the offer is significant.

Extremely confident in Dunks staying.

Extremely confident in Dunks staying.
Glad to hear it. Without Dunks I worry we'd be way too soft. Remember when we had Boyd, Morris, Libba, Picken and Smith?

Right now the only guys playing with that level of ferocity are Dunks, Libba and West. That's still probably under the minimum amount of what a flag quality team needs. We need players like Williams, Duryea, Cody and Cordy to lift in that regard. I left out Cody because he's not quite as scary as Smith. Maybe Duryea should be in there but he ain't a Morris / Boyd either.

How about we just recruit a key back and play them as one?
Given our tall backs on the weekend, and seemingly our preferred combo, were Keath (ex Adelaide), Gardner (ex Geelong) and O'Brien (ex Hawthorn) that would seem to be what we are doing.

I know I'm in the minority, but with these 3, Cordy and Schache as depth options and Khamis and Cleary as development options, I don't think our tall defender options are that bad.

Given our tall backs on the weekend, and seemingly our preferred combo, were Keath (ex Adelaide), Gardner (ex Geelong) and O'Brien (ex Hawthorn) that would seem to be what we are doing.

I know I'm in the minority, but with these 3, Cordy and Schache as depth options and Khamis and Cleary as development options, I don't think our tall defender options are that bad.

Agreed there's depth, the issue is more about quality. Keath when fully fit/in form is our best tall defender by some margin, when he goes down or plays ordinary we look a lot more shaky.

I think our 3 main priorities this year should be 2nd ruck, natural forwards both medium and smalls and a KPD.

Our problem is that while Keath is above average (potentially elite), after that we have Gardner (above average this year but has he reached his ceiling?), O'Brien (average), Cordy and Schache (both poor). So long as we have Keath, it's not really an issue, but he's looking increasingly injury prone and our stocks are shocking if he gets any long term injuries. We could really do with one good established key defender being recruited. Hence why Logue keeps being brought up

Our problem is that while Keath is above average (potentially elite), after that we have Gardner (above average this year but has he reached his ceiling?), O'Brien (average), Cordy and Schache (both poor). So long as we have Keath, it's not really an issue, but he's looking increasingly injury prone and our stocks are shocking if he gets any long term injuries. We could really do with one good established key defender being recruited. Hence why Logue keeps being brought up
Can’t see Logue leaving

Logie is 193cm. Don't really see him as a genuine #1 KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly neither - looks like he's starting to solidify his spot, and Freo is doing really well so little reason to head off. Still, if he remains uncontracted in the latter end of the season, I'll keep hoping ;)
They moved him forward against Demons so no his spot is not fully solidified. If he stays forward and rather play defense then he's gettable.

KPD is definitely our number one priority. As good as he has been, Keath will be 31 in 6 months time with an alarmingly increasing rate of soft tissues players. It may not be the case in this specific example but plenty of players bodies become cooked at that age.

I don’t know if we can plan on him being a realiable and consistent member of our side over the next 2-3 years. If he is then that’s an absolute bonus for us and he’s the sort of KPD that can play a variety of different roles anyway even if we recruit someone else.

He monstered Cameron, and has been winning most matchups all year. I think people put too much emphasis on height. Rampe is another who is on the shorter end and yet a very capable one on one defender against key forwards
Fair enough we all see things differently, but to my way of thinking, the fact he is playing on Cameron says he's not our ideal #1 KPD option.

Pearce is gonna take Hawkins every time when Freo play Geelong because he's a 200 cm, 100 kg bull. Logue is a good defender suited to the 2nd, 3rd option

I agree that height isn't everything and plenty of 190-194 cm types play very effective deep defensive roles, but I'm not sure that's what our list needs if we are utilising significant resources.

When I look at Max King, Ben King, MacKay, Hipwood, Thillthorpe, McDonald etc as 200cm or more kpf types coming through and I am investing significantly for the list in future years personally I'd rather be looking for a Pearce type ahead of a Logue type.

Final order for the mid season draft below, of which we're not involved. I like the idea of the midseason draft (and SSP) but think the rules around retaining players need tinkering.

It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I believe clubs who are using picks to cover injuries or mid-season retirements (where they are temporary allowed to exceed maximum list sizes until the end of the season) should only be able to hold these players until the end of the season, after which those specific players should be required to go back into the draft and become available for everyone (different story for those taken by clubs who have left a list spot open, who aren't exceeding the max list size).

It's a good and fair rule to give clubs a chance to fill spots during the season in which they're taken, but IMO it provides an unfair advantage to those clubs in subsequent seasons should they wish to retain those players, since they are only given access to these players because of the specific in-season circumstance. It also means clubs loom at players who fill a role this season, as is the intention of the rule, rather than long term prospects.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

1654073328380.png

Last edited:
Very interested to see how Durdin goes for Carlton and could play as early as next week.

He was very highly rated coming out of the draft and is a fantastic size for a KPD. Could’ve been a victim of a poor development program and North and might’ve been prematurely cut. A late bloomer possibility.

Very interested to see how Durdin goes for Carlton and could play as early as next week.

He was very highly rated coming out of the draft and is a fantastic size for a KPD. Could’ve been a victim of a poor development program and North and might’ve been prematurely cut. A late bloomer possibility.
Especially as Lewy Young, to be polite, has been awful for them especially in the last couple of weeks

I know we’ve talked about mcasey but haven’t seen much talk about the other key defender in Josh Worrel from the crows. Has only played the one game but has a superior athletic profile to Mcasey, has some serious speed and skills and his numbers in the SANFL seem solid. He is contracted along with mcasey for next year. Worrel definitely doesn’t seem like the number 1 defender type however more of a 2nd / interceptor.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back