Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most interesting part of the interview was Power saying we are monitoring the Trealor situation.

He wouldn't comment or give anything away on anything else so found that telling, especially an hour after St Kilda completely ruled themselves out.

It was great the moment you say you're into him you lose any bargaining power and the price will end up being higher. He's a smart man Sammy Power!

yeah....we do need KPD. but who's getable?
Might execute the plan B. Naughton goes to defense.

Tom McDonald - kicking isn't great but 1000x better than Gardiner.

So many outside (read Essendon) supporters expressing the view that Dunkley will be part of a trade where we get 1 of their 1st rounders. They are delusional because we know that it's going to take considerably more than that. Some clubs' supporters consistently project a sense of entitlement.

So many outside (read Essendon) supporters expressing the view that Dunkley will be part of a trade where we get 1 of their 1st rounders. They are delusional because we know that it's going to take considerably more than that. Some clubs' supporters consistently project a sense of entitlement.

Unfortunately most of them are the same. 16 flags makes you extremely entitled. Most of them have only seen 1. It is what it is. Ignore them and move on.

Of course I'd like more information, but solid interview from Power. We can't be hypocrites and say there's no way we're trading a contracted player when we chased Bruce last year and likely will chase contracted players in the future. And if it does fall through Dunkley may be more understanding that we at least considered it. We don't need to burn that bridge where there's still a chance he'll be here next year, and maybe even chose to stay after another year of considering it. The Papley model is what we need to be following if that's the case.

I found what power said as basically being if we get a really good deal we’d let him go. More or less that few players are untradeable if there is a good enough offer.

However said we won’t tell Essendon what we will accept, they will have to come up with a premium price to satisfy us.

Basically Essendon offer unders power will say nope try again. Takes any power from dodoro trying to undercut what we want he has to appease us without any direction.

Don’t mind the stance

Watch every other club come and attack our players now, knowing that we will trade them if the trade is good enough

What's wrong with that?
If we keep getting overs than wouldn't that mean we are improving our list.

People are freaking out because they are expecting us to get bent over in this trade and relent. Power won't let that happen, we have the strong hand here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam was good , we need huge overs otherwise no we are saughting out what we need to do but aren't telling you shit, hes a great list manager , has patience which provides more fruitful opportunities

What's wrong with that?
If we keep getting overs than wouldn't that mean we are improving our list.

People are freaking out because they are expecting is to get bent over in this trade and relent. Power won't let that happen, we have the strong hand here.
So you would be good if Hawthorn came and offered 3 first rounders for Bont (assuming his worth that much)?

Not sure why some seem think Power will just bend over here and give in for unders. So far his track record has been to stay firm until we get a good deal.

This time last year, most were nervous and asking him to just give in to get the Bruce/Keath trades done but he remained patient and we ended up with a great result (regardless of how Bruce has played, at the time it was considered good value). We kept our first pick and essentially got Keath for Pick 45 and a slight downgrade in 2020

yeah....we do need KPD. but who's getable?
Might execute the plan B. Naughton goes to defense.
Possibly tail wagging the dog, but what is Aaron's preferred position?

If we keep switching Naughtons role in the side it's counter productive to a young KPP IMO.

We've moved him forward, let him learn his craft there now.

The Eagles and Freo will come knocking for this guy soon, if they aren't already. Kennedy hasnt got much left in the tank at WCE. Freo would love him too.

Need to keep him happy or it's Dunkley 2.0

I found what power said as basically being if we get a really good deal we’d let him go. More or less that few players are untradeable if there is a good enough offer.

However said we won’t tell Essendon what we will accept, they will have to come up with a premium price to satisfy us.

Basically Essendon offer unders power will say nope try again. Takes any power from dodoro trying to undercut what we want he has to appease us without any direction.

Don’t mind the stance

Exactly. If we tell Dodoro we want two firsts then we are giving him information to use against us. He'll start his offers very far below what we are asking and try to meet us half way. Better to let him figure out what it's gonna take for us to release Dunkley.

I'm proud of our list management team that we just didn't bow down and offer Dunkley a larger contract.

He just signed a good deal in peak form. He has to honour it otherwise we can ask the world from opposition clubs that try and poach him.
Agree 100%. I’d be way more pissed if we caved in to the pressure and renegotiated with Josh, only to see better players leave in the next few years because it’s f*cked our cap situation. Collingwood are trying to wind back that kind of cap mismanagement as we speak.

Agree 100%. I’d be way more pissed if we caved in to the pressure and renegotiated with Josh, only to see better players leave in the next few years because it’s f*cked our cap situation. Collingwood are trying to wind back that kind of cap mismanagement as we speak.
Also every player then knows they just have to get another club to offer them more, threaten to leave, and we'll renegotiate their contract to keep them. Sets a terrible precedent.

Dunkleys going as long as we get a very good offer and they pay a premium, if not he'll stay, that was my interpretation from the interview. The praise of treloar and the need for speed in our front half tells me treloar or Stephenson or both being involved is the best chance of a deal being done. We have the massive upper hand here, time to turn an initial disappointment into a trade lottery.

I think we’re lucky to have a list manager that just tells it how it is. There’s zero frill or bullshit. What he says is what he means.

Having a list manager that spouts crap to the media means SFA in actually achieving anything. Sam just gets on with the job and achieves the BEST possible outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back