Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft night will be borrrring

Wouldn’t mind every draft been boring for us provided we got Pick 1 every year.

Won’t be boring when we secure JUH

Can understand the rookieing (if that's a word) of Hayes and Cavarra considering the uncertainty of the form of draftees in this Covid year. I think it's a case of the 'devil you know'. Both will probably be backups to be called on if we get a run of injuries.

Can understand the rookieing (if that's a word) of Hayes and Cavarra considering the uncertainty of the form of draftees in this Covid year. I think it's a case of the 'devil you know'. Both will probably be backups to be called on if we get a run of injuries.
This would be fine if it was a one-off. To the contrary, though, we have actually established a very clear pattern of list management where we hang on to these kinds of players for several years more than perhaps other observers would. Honeychurch, Hrovat, Roarke, Porter, Jong, and going further back, Pearce, Kelly, Howard, Greenwood, Austin, etc. My issue is that, aside from KPPs, I'm finding it quite difficult to find success stories from the players we've made somewhat surprising calls to hold onto. I would class Jong as the closest thing, but regardless of your thoughts on him, he's played 41 games of varying quality in four seasons.

I'm sure there are reasons for this but it just doesn't strike me as a particularly effective list management strategy. I really wish we were better at turning over our list.

This would be fine if it was a one-off. To the contrary, though, we have actually established a very clear pattern of list management where we hang on to these kinds of players for several years more than perhaps other observers would. Honeychurch, Hrovat, Roarke, Porter, Jong, and going further back, Pearce, Kelly, Howard, Greenwood, Austin, etc. My issue is that, aside from KPPs, I'm finding it quite difficult to find success stories from the players we've made somewhat surprising calls to hold onto. I would class Jong as the closest thing, but regardless of your thoughts on him, he's played 41 games of varying quality in four seasons.

I'm sure there are reasons for this but it just doesn't strike me as a particularly effective list management strategy. I really wish we were better at turning over our list.

Agreed. There are always good options available and I can’t see Hayes/R Smith being part of a premiership - but we have been desperate for a small forward and you can find these if you try...

Agreed. There are always good options available and I can’t see Hayes/R Smith being part of a premiership - but we have been desperate for a small forward and you can find these if you try...
I do agree, but for me it's not even necessarily about being part of a premiership - depth is valuable, and there are plenty of not great players who have won premierships as role players.

For me it's about exposed performance. Roarke's been on the list for six seasons now. Yes, affected by numerous ACLs, but I can think of maybe one or two games that I would describe as AFL standard in that time. That's just not enough for me to persist with him, particularly given he's a medium utility who looks most natural down back but hasn't really made any position his own. Hayes is a bit of a different beast, but at the same time, we've watched him for many years at VFL level and two years now at AFL level, and in every performance at both levels, his limitations have shone through and significantly hindered his impact. I just don't see it.

Jayden Hunter (intercepting defender) and Tyler brockman (small forward) are the two late who I'd replace Hayes and roarke with.

You're picking between a bunch of bad options with the last spots on your list. If the alternative is having a crack at another prospective U/18 year old, those picks are typically the worst value and we have enough data that teams are trending toward use those picks more on over-agers and recycling players. We don't seem to like genuinely recycled players (genuinely delisted players that we'd only have to play a minimum deal on, as opposed to cheaply traded deals that you'd pay more than minimum). If we rule out those options with our late picks, you're pretty much left with only drafting mature agers (which we do) and keeping players on your list a bit longer.

Is Paddy McCartin worth looking at with one of our late picks?

Lots of talent, perhaps worth drafting as a KPD prospect where concussions in the future may br less likely with the way he plays.

Many great afl defenders were forwards as juniors...

Adelaide will say what they did about taking the best pick publicly so they can assert their player is the best on their board for the draft. That may or may not be true but it’s the message theyll send.

No way in hell are they going to rob their first pick a not insignificant salary bonus to give them the message they don’t think they are the best choice. It would be different with a third, or fourth pick. Not the first given the tag that comes with it but also as mentioned the money bonus. I’d be furious as the player to lose the money. For a nothing pick cost to us...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats swapping Dees' future 3rd for pick 27 this yr is such a canny move. Surely there are other clubs like GC who were only using one pick at the draft that we could have pursued for pick swaps. That's an insane swap, following on from last year's swap when Suns traded mid first compo pick and a 60s pick for Cats' pick 27. Suns pissing picks up against the wall for fun.

From Cal Twomeys draft re JUH:

“...The Western Bulldogs' Next Generation Academy prospect isn't shy of confidence either, at one stage texting Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton some forward craft advice this season ahead of a game. They will be a forward pair to fear for some time...”

Hilarious and good on him if he thought he saw something that could help! 👍
He is perfect for BF

Now all we need is for him to text Bevo to stop playing favourites and players out of position

I think with todays news that we will obviously take JUH, a late draft pick, rookie MacPherson and Cat B Cody Raak. If MacPherson gets bid on I think we will match, and make that late draft selection a rookie draft selection.

It was hardly confirming they would, he’s just said they will pick who they think is the best available player but they think he’s very good.

I can understand why they would, but bidding pick 1 would just be silly. They could cost their pick $20k or whatever it is and let them know they were second choice. They know we will match and can match, “making us pay” isn’t relevant when they could lose so much hype and excitement around it.

Pick 2 onwards, go for your life
It might well be silly but it might be right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back