Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sentinel

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's the list of free agent defensive/tall stocks available end of this year:-
Few there you could probably cross off already, but a number who would be handy enough. Tarrant would be nice for a couple of seasons if he could stay fit.

Daniel Talia family history
Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker retiring?
Lachlan Henderson retiring?
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy club captain
Mitch Brown no good/journeyman
Robbie Tarrant
Josh Walker no good/journeyman
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley retiring
Sam Reid (SYD)

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Few there you could probably cross off already, but a number who would be handy enough. Tarrant would be nice for a couple of seasons if he could stay fit.

Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker retiring?
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy club captain
Robbie Tarrant
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley retiring
Sam Reid (SYD)
The one that I'd be for is Chol, we need a back that would be able to match it for size with resting rucks.

bobs head soup

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd still argue against that.

Where can he play ? Mids - stacked for options there. Defenders - not KPP - so we are stacked for options there. Sort of forward - we have stacks of sort of forwards - but he's not a real forward (even though he can be a good set shot).

I just think he was a player that we gave a good shot - he wasn't going to take us to the next level and we needed to move him on.
With the benefit of hindsight I'd agree, but at the start of preseason I'd have said that his position was back flank/defensive midfielder. At that point he would've been far more likely to claim such a role than Bailey Dale or Anthony Scott.

Pugz89

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Of the out of contracts, I'd like to see:

Bont - whatever the fu** he wants
Cavarra - 1 year with trigger for 2nd
Duryea - 2 years
Gardner - 1 year with trigger for 2nd
Hayes - Delist
Jong - Delist or Rookie
Libba - 1 year with trigger for 2nd (flat 2 years is fine too)
Martin - Assuming he triggers the extension this year anyway
Smith - Delist
Wallis - 2 years
Duryea should be a 1 year with trigger for 2nd imo. Turns 30 and given we gave Wood two years straight up, i'd prefer to have some flexibility with Doc. Rookie Jong and the rest i'd agree with.

TedDougChris

Premium Platinum
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
He played on a wing, a position we're still not settled on (would we really think McNeill would be taking rotations there before we even rookied him at teh end of last year?)
I would have thought that Treloar, Hunter, B Smith, VDM, JJ - would have been enough wing coverage for us - but I do take your point about last year. And yes - some rookies/recruits can come on sooner than expected - but to my mind that reinforces my argument. Why hang onto a guy that has shown a small amount, rather than risk taking a guy that could show a lot.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd agree, but at the start of preseason I'd have said that his position was back flank/defensive midfielder. At that point he would've been far more likely to claim such a role than Bailey Dale or Anthony Scott.
Agree - but see above for my further thoughts.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
I would have thought that Treloar, Hunter, B Smith, VDM, JJ - would have been enough wing coverage for us - but I do take your point about last year. And yes - some rookies/recruits can come on sooner than expected - but to my mind that reinforces my argument. Why hang onto a guy that has shown a small amount, rather than risk taking a guy that could show a lot.
I wouldn't have kept Hayes. But then, I would have used late draft picks (e.g. Butler & Bedendo the past two years) on a small crumbing forward as well and perhaps cut 1-2 spots deeper the year before too.

A real shame Kosi Pickett didn't slip - can you imagine our forwardline with him (or a player with his crumbing nous)?

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Duryea should be a 1 year with trigger for 2nd imo. Turns 30 and given we gave Wood two years straight up, i'd prefer to have some flexibility with Doc. Rookie Jong and the rest i'd agree with.
Duryea's form has held up well over the last few years, unlike Wood. He's also the only defender we have that can actually be trusted to defend against the more damaging small forwards. He's important enough that I'd be more than happy to see a 2 year deal for him, although 1 with trigger for 2 definitely puts the club in the better position if he'd take it.

TedDougChris

Premium Platinum
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I wouldn't have kept Hayes. But then, I would have used late draft picks (e.g. Butler & Bedendo the past two years) on a small crumbing forward as well and perhaps cut 1-2 spots deeper the year before too.

A real shame Kosi Pickett didn't slip - can you imagine our forwardline with him (or a player with his crumbing nous)?
Agree on all fronts and yes, have watched Pickett closely in games this year - outstanding talent given the interruption to his pre season

dergert

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's the list of free agent defensive/tall stocks available end of this year:-
Daniel Talia
Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker
Lachlan Henderson
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy
Mitch Brown
Robbie Tarrant
Josh Walker
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley
Sam Reid (SYD)
A few decent names there. I'd say most will re-sign though

weltschmerz

Premiership Player
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The players we delisted and rookied last year will become unrestricted free agents. I suspect Cav is gone if he doesn’t start getting games with us, there’ll be a club who’d love to pick up a mature small forward for free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers

Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker retiring?
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy club captain
Robbie Tarrant
Mabior Chol
David Astbury
Dylan Grimes
James Frawley retiring
Sam Reid (SYD)
Phil Davis is a former co-captain and being GWS he'd never consider us anyway.
I'd love any one of the Richmond guys but it's unlikely.

go the dogs

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Dunkley was to go and Carlton were his preferred choice i would make a play for Charlie Curnow. Our time is now. take a chance on him and if he gets his body right Naughton goes back and we could be scary good.

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Dunkley was to go and Carlton were his preferred choice i would make a play for Charlie Curnow. Our time is now. take a chance on him and if he gets his body right Naughton goes back and we could be scary good.
Our chances of getting Curnow would be close to 0. If we're going to make a bold play for an untouchable player, better to go for Weitering so Naughton doesn't have to go anywhere

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Dunks has had a turn around when he got to play and live with Treloar, so I think he might re-sign rather than go to another team atm.

VitalDread

The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs-NGA & VFL
Oct 9, 2011
Cranbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Levi Casboult
Cale Hooker retiring?
Jake Kolodjashnij
Phil Davis
Ben McEvoy club captain
Robbie Tarrant
Mabior Chol
David Astbury