Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

adogsfan5

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have options. Obviously we all rate Naughton up forward and he's a gun. But hypothetically if we grabbed Harry McKay or another gun forward, then we could shift Naughts back. All the talk is on getting a KPD, but I'd expand the horizon to KPD or KPF and Naughton plays at the end the player we get doesn't play. Double our chances of filling the necessary hole...
Agree with this. Once JUH is ready I think Naughton will move back anyway. Maybe someone like a Weideman who might be available?

Pugz89

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree with this. Once JUH is ready I think Naughton will move back anyway. Maybe someone like a Weideman who might be available?
Weideman would be ideal if we could pull it off. Perfect age for us. Weideman fwd, pushes Naughts back alongside Keath. Buys us a couple years til Keath is done at least and we'd run Weideman, English and Bruce/JUH forward.

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think Naughton back is going to happen. His forward craft is still quite poor but he's really starting to hit his stride as a CHF. I think something needs to change for us to fit JUH into the forward lineup, but I can't see it being Naughton to defence.

I doubt he'd be any good at key defence, but I think there's a better chance of Bruce being trialled there than Naughton returning.

At any rate, I'd hope we prioritise a KPD this offseason, but also not forget about a ruck. It's clearly a position of need, and once Martin retires (which could effectively happen this year, even if he stays on the list but more as a coach) we are left with only Sweet and English. Not only would I like to see us recruit a mature, ready made ruck again, but I seriously hope we draft someone too. It's not enough to have 2/3 rucks on the list or else you risk ending up in the kind of situation the Suns have found themselves in

Pugz89

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think Naughton back is going to happen. His forward craft is still quite poor but he's really starting to hit his stride as a CHF. I think something needs to change for us to fit JUH into the forward lineup, but I can't see it being Naughton to defence.

I doubt he'd be any good at key defence, but I think there's a better chance of Bruce being trialled there than Naughton returning.

At any rate, I'd hope we prioritise a KPD this offseason, but also not forget about a ruck. It's clearly a position of need, and once Martin retires (which could effectively happen this year, even if he stays on the list but more as a coach) we are left with only Sweet and English. Not only would I like to see us recruit a mature, ready made ruck again, but I seriously hope we draft someone too. It's not enough to have 2/3 rucks on the list or else you risk ending up in the kind of situation the Suns have found themselves in
It's a tough list balance though. Let's say you play two rucks, which we don't as such, then sure, 5 rucks on the list is good. For us, we play one main ruck and to have 5 on our list seems a bit skewed. To use that ratio, if we play two KPDs and KPFs, we'd need 10 each on our list. So we'd have 25 players who are rucks or key position players.
I think one more would be sufficient. Martin, Sweet, English and an extra is more than enough. I mean Sweet is 23 or so, English is similar..

Freshwater

Club Legend
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fergus Greene kicked 5.1 in the VFL for Box Hill yesterday and is averaging just under 4 goals a game this season. At Footscray he averaged just over 1 goal a gam.
He looked like he could play. I seen the Ballarat game live that he played in the 1’s and moved and marked well.

Dogsman16

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have options. Obviously we all rate Naughton up forward and he's a gun. But hypothetically if we grabbed Harry McKay or another gun forward, then we could shift Naughts back. All the talk is on getting a KPD, but I'd expand the horizon to KPD or KPF and Naughton plays at the end the player we get doesn't play. Double our chances of filling the necessary hole...
Another option is to grab a key forward and spin them to defence. Been several success stories in recent years of this happening.

Riccardi went back to defence in the 2s and had 40 disposals and 20 marks. I could name 5-6 players who are playing forward who would give more to the KPD2 position than we currently have. Ambrose, Casboult, Weiderman, Riccardi, Brander all could do a better job than Cordy in the role.

We don't need a star but we do need someone who has some attributes to lock down that role. Cordy has none. Undersized, not strong, and not fast as well as a timid ball user.

LittleG

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another option is to grab a key forward and spin them to defence. Been several success stories in recent years of this happening.

Riccardi went back to defence in the 2s and had 40 disposals and 20 marks. I could name 5-6 players who are playing forward who would give more to the KPD2 position than we currently have. Ambrose, Casboult, Weiderman, Riccardi, Brander all could do a better job than Cordy in the role.

We don't need a star but we do need someone who has some attributes to lock down that role. Cordy has none. Undersized, not strong, and not fast as well as a timid ball user.
Exactly this.
Find an underperforming KPF who has played well as a KPD. Riccardi would be great. Brander too.
They will be cheaper than a gun KPD.

Golden_6

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

I see a lot of people mention this but fail to see how it is accurate. His goal kicking can be poor, but his forward craft is quite good. I make an effort of sitting behind the goals at games to see this sort of thing more, and he is very very good at creating space for himself on the lead. He's 2nd in the league for marks inside 50, as well as being 2nd in the league for marks on the lead. Despite our good midfield, you don't get that by having poor forward craft.

Golden_6

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Exactly this.
Find an underperforming KPF who has played well as a KPD. Riccardi would be great. Brander too.
They will be cheaper than a gun KPD.
His name has been mentioned for years on this board but still think McStay could be the man for this. I played juniors with him and he's always been a much more natural defender.

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I see a lot of people mention this but fail to see how it is accurate. His goal kicking can be poor, but his forward craft is quite good. I make an effort of sitting behind the goals at games to see this sort of thing more, and he is very very good at creating space for himself on the lead. He's 2nd in the league for marks inside 50, as well as being 2nd in the league for marks on the lead. Despite our good midfield, you don't get that by having poor forward craft.
His goalkicking is the main one, but it's also his lack of awareness of his surroundings when on the lead. The English incident is not an isolated one, seems like he's taking out team mates much more often than other key forwards. Everything you said is definitely accurate, I just feel there's also a lot of room for improvement. Poor is probably a bit harsh, more like average

Golden_6

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
His goalkicking is the main one, but it's also his lack of awareness of his surroundings when on the lead. The English incident is not an isolated one, seems like he's taking out team mates much more often than other key forwards. Everything you said is definitely accurate, I just feel there's also a lot of room for improvement. Poor is probably a bit harsh, more like average
I don't think the English incident will every really 'change'. He'd be doing the exact same thing no matter where he was playing as his greatest strength is flying for the ball in packs, and he'd be encouraged to do so at every opportunity. If you start teaching him to be more wary of what's around you run the risk of him second guessing himself when flying for the footy and taking away his strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Munnez

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English fits nicely alongside them too

We have a 1st and 4th round pick this year. I'd be keen to look at KPD options with the first rounder on the table.
Could trade for Weideman and turn him into a KPD has all the attributes and may enjoy the change in role

Norm De Guerre

Left of the dial.
Mar 27, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Farnarkling XI
Is lipinski the next coming of Gia?

Good skills, smooth mover, not super athletic, well liked and a good teamate, but when the pressure is on goes missing or isn't quite up to it.

Hard to fault the kid though after being out of the team and being brought back against the tiges, with pressure and atmosphere at finals like intensity in April.

I think all inclusions against the tiges were going to struggle this week, because the step up from vfl to afl was harder than normal, more like 2 to 3 steps.
I hope he is, because only cretins could doubt the ability of somebody who played 265 games at the highest level. They know who they are.

LittleG

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His name has been mentioned for years on this board but still think McStay could be the man for this. I played juniors with him and he's always been a much more natural defender.
I like McStay. Hoped he would have come down to play with Boyd.... but it never happened then. Perhaps the time is right.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Pies have a new president and football manager. Possibly a new coach or an under the pump existing one. There is no way they are going to trade away their best player, and one the magpie army adores. Would incite anarchy and make last years offseason look like a picnic. It‘s fantasy to even consider.

One guy I threw up last year, was Lachy Keffe. Flies under the radar and can handle the gorillas. No idea on contract status, and no doubt GWS really value him because he’s been good this year too. The rivalry/history wouldn’t help in any trade discussions.

Bulldogs85

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pies have a new president and football manager. Possibly a new coach or an under the pump existing one. There is no way they are going to trade away their best player, and one the magpie army adores. Would incite anarchy and make last years offseason look like a picnic. It‘s fantasy to even consider.

One guy I threw up last year, was Lachy Keffe. Flies under the radar and can handle the gorillas. No idea on contract status, and no doubt GWS really value him because he’s been good this year too. The rivalry/history wouldn’t help in any trade discussions.
He got delisted by Collingwood so he is a free agent for life don’t need to trade for him if we were interested he comes out of contract at the end of this year

Last edited:

VitalDread

The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs-NGA & VFL
Oct 9, 2011
Cranbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Looking at Pies list, don't think they will move any star players to secure Daicos

Maybe offloading Cox, WHE andMayne for some late seconds/early thirds and maybe Sier if the deal is good enough

If i was dogs, i would be in the ear of Reef McInnes and see if he wants to come over

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looking at Pies list, don't think they will move any star players to secure Daicos

Maybe offloading Cox, WHE andMayne for some late seconds/early thirds and maybe Sier if the deal is good enough

If i was dogs, i would be in the ear of Reef McInnes and see if he wants to come over
Cox, WHE and Mayne wouldn't be worth a 3rd rounder between them.

Would love Reef but the price would be steep, and he should really be playing in the seniors right now so the Pies would be mad to let him go

VitalDread

The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs-NGA & VFL
Oct 9, 2011
Cranbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Cox, WHE and Mayne wouldn't be worth a 3rd rounder between them.

Would love Reef but the price would be steep, and he should really be playing in the seniors right now so the Pies would be mad to let him go
Teams wanting a quick rebuild will easily cough up picks

Reef was hurt in the pre-season, so only had 2 or 3 VFL games under his belt

Still a bit away imo from this year

Remove this Banner Ad