Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how good would a fit, injury free and mature Jake be at the Dogs now!

I wish he could have somehow stayed he would be awesome right now
Has jake ever been more than one of those things at any point in his career tho?

Has jake ever been more than one of those things at any point in his career tho?

He has either got ongoing issues from the leg break, or never has put in the effort (I know which I'm backing) to get his body right. You just have to look at the way Essendon have tried to use him - 3 or 4 games in the middle and he breaks down, even as a part time impact midfielder. His best is still fantastic, but you won't ever see if on a more consistent basis than what we did, 5 or 6 years ago now...

Just can't see Power using our 1st in that way. He outright refused to give it up when the Keath and Bruce trades were on the line (and either situation could've warranted it), and robbed the Pies blind when we gave them our 1st. I doubt we'd be giving up a 1st in a Riccardi trade unless there was an early 2nd coming back or something like that (i.e. the pick only slides a handful of places).
I hope that's right but outside of Richards I don't think we have guys that have much if any currency.

Unless Sam Darcy rockets up into 1st round contention, I'd much rather hold our 1st for the draft (or trade for established talent rather than speculative). Riccardi was taken at Pick 51, and is currently out of the Giants' best 22. I agree his value is likely higher than where he was drafted, but I don't feel a 1st rounder should enter discussions in any form, unless we would lose it to Darcy (even then, I'd rather move it into a future year if possible).

With the rumours surrounding Wallis, Lipinski and Richards, there's every chance we'll strengthen our draft hand through player exits anyway, so shouldn't need to throw anything serious around for Riccardi if we wanted him. Plus we have future 2nd/3rd to work with if required.

Just can't see Power using our 1st in that way. He outright refused to give it up when the Keath and Bruce trades were on the line (and either situation could've warranted it), and robbed the Pies blind when we gave them our 1st. I doubt we'd be giving up a 1st in a Riccardi trade unless there was an early 2nd coming back or something like that (i.e. the pick only slides a handful of places).

I am not expecting Richards to leave and those that may go won’t get us much:
Wallis
Lipinski
JJ

All borderline players who we would be lucky to get a fourth rounder from all of them.

IF Power can get Riccardi for less, I would be ecstatic.

I hear you Norm and I would settle for a Jake 2015 version.

A 2015 Jake version with Naughts and Co around would be a sight to behold but I hear you.

I would say Willie's two indiscretions are very much him being a sh*t teammate. He put himself into positions which negatively effect the team, since he's now been unavailable to play for 2 years. If I were his teammate I would find it very difficult to trust him again.
Stringer was a s**t teammate in ways that make Willy's indiscretions pale into insignificance. Stringer did some things that were very hurtful and callous towards teammates. He still hasn't made amends to some of them for what he did to them.

Willy's indiscretions are more akin to what Libba did early in his career, or Hunter did last year. Stringer was a whole different kettle of fish.

Normally I'd say we're no chance of any GWS player coming to us, but an ex-Calder boy who played for Werribee might just make a difference. I'd honestly put up our first rounder and ask for picks back.
I can't remember the exact comment, but I remember Sam Power saying not long after his appointment that one of his trade week philosophies was that the first rounder should be sacrosanct but everything else is negotiable.

He sees taking at least 1 elite young talent every year as being essential to building a long term quality list.

Hes stuck by this policy even when going hard for the Chad and others.

Doubt he breaks the policy for a Riccardi.

Jake Riccardi is who I hope we are targeting. Showing a lot of ability playing down back and won’t ever be a superstar forward.
Would be a buy low, high upside target. Much better than the other forwards people are suggesting we move back.
Shouldn't be a high cost trade either if he wanted to come back to Melbourne

I hear you Norm and I would settle for a Jake 2015 version.

A 2015 Jake version with Naughts and Co around would be a sight to behold but I hear you.

Sure, but 6 years was very along time ago. Since then he was so out of form that he was only just in our best 22 during the 2016 finals campaign and has only ever shown glimpses of returning to those early heady days in the ensuing years.

If we were are to go down the phantasy hypotheticals about players who played their best football for us 5 years ago. Then I'd rather talk about the possibility of bringing Joel Hamling back into the fold at Whitten Oval. Not a guy who wouldn't be of interest to or indeed interested in returning to our club, given the nature of the parting of the ways between the two.

Last edited:
Mind the intrusion but re Stringer at the dogs - I know for a fact that he took a $h&t in Tom Boyd's locker as a 'prank' and was pretty much told pack your bags as soon as it was found out. Thats the level of crap bloke we're talking here. Rioli hasn't got peanuts on Stringer in the trash bloke department

Mind the intrusion but re Stringer at the dogs - I know for a fact that he took a $h&t in Tom Boyd's locker as a 'prank' and was pretty much told pack your bags as soon as it was found out. Thats the level of crap bloke we're talking here. Rioli hasn't got peanuts on Stringer in the trash bloke department

Also Dahlhaus was involved in another matter with Stringer and thats why he's playing at the Cattery instead, also involving Tom Boyd

Both of these alleged incidents are pretty well known around here.

I did like how you worked s**t and peanuts into your post tho...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just some thoughts about our areas of need and maybe some under the radar targets, some of which I'm just dreaming.
The areas I think strengthen the team most are the two obvious positions of KPD and a crumbing forward, but I also think we could use some more outside run and speed off half back.

KPD targets:
I think we need a pure fullback to free up Keath to intercept more. There aren't a heap to choose from.
Jacob Weitering/Darcy Moore - Would cost a heap but make us a dream team. If only..
Jack Payne - Haven't seen heaps but seems alright, pretty young and behind Andrews and Gardner.
Joel Hamling - Might want to come back just to get on the park.
Harrison Petty - Probably less likely to move now Tomlinson is injured, maybe more of a third tall anyway.
Robbie Tarrant - Would come cheap for a year or two to play finals but more of a stopgap, would prefer a younger option.
Patrick Ambrose - Pretty cheap, although still involves Dodoro, would be more of a role player.

Crumbing forward targets:
It's probably better to get a crumbing forward through the draft, if there is one available.
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - A bit's been said about this but I think he'd be perfect. Total gun, would kick bags in a decent side.
Daniel Rioli - Doesn't quite kick enough goals but has good pressure, been dropped a couple times this year. Still young and will get better.
Luke Breust - Bevo likes his Hawthorn veterans, prefer a longer term option but still rate Breust as up there with the best crumbers that I've seen. Haven't watched any Hawks this year, thank god, so don't know if he's still quick or not.
Malcolm Rosas - Keen to watch him this week. GC might have to squeeze out a few with the reduced list so could be viable.

Outside speed targets:
Jarman Impey - we missed out last time around, but maybe with the direction Hawthorn are going they'd be looking to sell for draft picks and he'd be after some success. His mate Trengrove isn't around any more but hopefully with Jamarra and Trav we are looking in a slightly better place for Indigenous players. Reckon he's a gun and would add a lot of run and toughness.
Wayne Milera - Probably wouldn't leave Adelaide but had a bad run with injury so might look at a fresh start.
Karl Amon - Ship has probably sailed, should've been interested a couple years ago.
Miles Bergman - Pretty recent draftee and has been getting a game so the Power must like him, but he's Victorian so always worth asking the question.

And one more - I still rate Ben Long, think he's tough as. Now we've got Hannan maybe we go for a full Footscray 2016 reunion.

Anyone heard anything Re: Bont?

His manager is stalling now to get the 6th year. Bont's in good nick, hes carried us over the line a few times this year and his value as a leader is being pumped up outside of the club more and more with each passing week. The speculation is not affecting Bont's form there is no reason from their end to sign right now.

Have to think that it's probably right on the money about Jake. You don't move on players of his ability for unders unless you sre desperate to get him out of the club.

Regarding Stringer and his apparent misdemeanours...

Tom Boyd presents as a smart, thoughtful and articulate guy who, in all likelihood, would have appreciated a good-natured, intelligent prank. Actually, call it the 'no dickheads policy' or something a bit more nebulous, but I feel that our team - at least for the last decade - has been brimming with intelligent, well-spoken and solid citizens. I am proud to make that claim - it's great to follow a team full of people who command such respect. So...in this environment...that Jake thought taking a dump in Tom's locker would go down like anything other than a proverbial lead balloon was a misfire of the highest order. Assuming that the story is not apocryphal - and a lot of people on here are pretty clear that it's not - then the very best case scenario for Jake is that he has no idea how to read the room.

I can handle the prospect of Jake tearing it up at Essendon. I don't want him back at the Kennel as a player - it's not a good fit...group dynamics and all that. But I do hope that he wisens, matures and can walk back into the club with his head held high, post career. He's a premiership player, after all, and I'm sincerely hoping for a heartwarming, redemptive story.

I can handle the prospect of Jake tearing it up at Essendon. I don't want him back at the Kennel as a player - it's not a good fit...group dynamics and all that. But I do hope that he wisens, matures and can walk back into the club with his head held high, post career. He's a premiership player, after all, and I'm sincerely hoping for a heartwarming, redemptive story.
Completely agree. He may have been an immature idiot but he seems to have grown up in recent years which is a credit to him and hopefully he continues.

If he can patch up any differences then I see no reason why we wouldn't welcome him back for Premiership reunions etc. Trading him was the right thing to do for both parties and there aren't many supporters who actively dislike him (even though he's at Essendon of all clubs).

Furthermore, unlike Dahlhaus, Jake clearly wasn't keen on leaving and hasn't spoken poorly about our club since moving. Playing for Essendon is the equivalent of an AFL prison sentence so once his time is done and apologies are made, I have no issue with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back