Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It seems Gardner gets better with every game he doesn’t play. Hamling proved himself to be a really reliable mark. Ryan Gardner’s palms have never seen sunlight.
Ironically it seems you're doing the same with Hamling. Didn't get an extended run in the seniors in 2016 until Round 19. Was good but very much a fringe developing KPD, much like Gardner. He was among the better ones we had, but Gardner is no further behind where Hamling was as a player

It seems Gardner gets better with every game he doesn’t play. Hamling proved himself to be a really reliable mark. Ryan Gardner’s palms have never seen sunlight.
Gardner was decent enough in the games that he was fit this year (accepting he played one poor game coming back from the first shoulder injury, because there was no VFL for him to play a single game to get his touch back). He just didn't play enough of them to convince people that he was a significantly better player than all his AFL games so far. But I do think there has been improvement since the end of last year, and the club rushing him back would be in a better position to judge that.

Nobody's saying he's a gun, but at the same time, it doesn't mean "better than Cordy to some extent" is also untrue.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I mentioned him around the time of the MSD, but another ex-Geelong KPD is Blake Schlensog. Doing really well in the WAFL right now, and theoretically could come straight into a side Round 1 2022. Replace Hayes with him and we're already a mile ahead even if he struggles for a year or two

Schenslog is a DFA, so can be signed during the DFA period prior to the draft. I would happily have him on the list and won’t even cost a draft pick.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ironically it seems you're doing the same with Hamling. Didn't get an extended run in the seniors in 2016 until Round 19. Was good but very much a fringe developing KPD, much like Gardner. He was among the better ones we had, but Gardner is no further behind where Hamling was as a player
I’m rating Hamling more highly with every game he doesn’t play? Where are you getting that from?

They are two very different players with completely different career paths. Hamling came in when we needed him and was very impressive. His marking ability a real highlight. Gardner came in when we had better options and has been gifted games. He has improved to a level where he is no longer an outright liability.

Other than both being KPD I don’t know why anyone would draw a comparison.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I’m rating Hamling more highly with every game he doesn’t play? Where are you getting that from?

They are two very different players with completely different career paths. Hamling came in when we needed him and was very impressive. His marking ability a real highlight. Gardner came in when we had better options and has been gifted games. He has improved to a level where he is no longer an outright liability.

Hamling averaged one more mark a game in 2016 then Gardner has this year, and that's including both games he was injured. If you just look at that finals series Hamling averaged 3 marks a game which is the exact same as Gardner if you take out the North game. Neither averged a contested mark a game in those years.

They're pretty much the same type defender, low intercept and don't register stats but are they to do a job. I think Hamling's the better version though.

Smiley Boy

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hamling averaged one more mark a game in 2016 then Gardner has this year, and that's including both games he was injured. If you just look at that finals series Hamling averaged 3 marks a game which is the exact same as Gardner if you take out the North game. Neither averged a contested mark a game in those years.

They're pretty much the same type defender, low intercept and don't register stats but are they to do a job. I think Hamling's the better version though.

Im taking Hamling every day of the week over Gardner

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I'm saying you're overrating Hamling after not seeing him play for so long. In reality, he was bottom of our best 22 at best in his time with us. Gardner is no worse than Hamling was

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schenslog is a DFA, so can be signed during the DFA period prior to the draft. I would happily have him on the list and won’t even cost a draft pick.
That was my first thought as well but is it actually the case? Don’t you have to nominate for the draft again first?

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That was my first thought as well but is it actually the case? Don’t you have to nominate for the draft again first?

I don’t think he has to nominate for DFA but he can put his own contract terms in place OR just negotiate with interested teams. IF I was him, I would wait to see how many teams are interested and the opportunity that might be there and then sign where I want to.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hamling was a solid player for us when we needed him. To say he was that much better than Gardner is revisionism. He was only getting games in 2016 due to injuries to Murphy and Adams. He's been a better player for the Dockers than he ever was for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasnt hamling pretty poor for most of 2016? I vaguely remember us throwing him forward because he had been so bad down back. It wasn't until we were completely out of defenders and had to use him late in the season that he came in and performed well

Serviceable in 2015 though and excellent when healthy for Freo

Wasnt hamling pretty poor for most of 2016? I vaguely remember us throwing him forward because he had been so bad down back. It wasn't until we were completely out of defenders and had to use him late in the season that he came in and performed well

Serviceable in 2015 though and excellent when healthy for Freo
Early in 2016 he only played rounds 3, 4 and 12. Then got picked for the last 5 rounds of the H&A season and of course all the finals. No games missed due to injury.

The previous year he didn't debut until Rd 9, played 5 games then reappeared in Rd 19 and played the last 5 plus the EF. Two of the games he missed that year were due to injury (Rds 17-18).

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Early in 2016 he only played rounds 3, 4 and 12. Then got picked for the last 5 rounds of the H&A season and of course all the finals. No games missed due to injury.

The previous year he didn't debut until Rd 9, played 5 games then reappeared in Rd 19 and played the last 5 plus the EF. Two of the games he missed that year were due to injury (Rds 17-18).
Handling should have played more in 2016 imo.
He was a player who played better in the AFL rather than VFL.

His job on Jeremy Cameron in the prelim was hugggeeee.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Handling should have played more in 2016 imo.
He was a player who played better in the AFL rather than VFL.

His job on Jeremy Cameron in the prelim was hugggeeee.
In the 2016 prelim he gave away at least 2 goals from brain fades. Ball in hand there were a few more heart in mouth moments. Watch the replay if in doubt. Cameron was just doing a Jeremy and bottled it.

His GF on Buddy was 10 X better, altho Buddy rolled his ankle.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In the 2016 prelim he gave away at least 2 goals from brain fades. Ball in hand there were a few more heart in mouth moments. Watch the replay if in doubt. Cameron was just doing a Jeremy and bottled it.

His GF on Buddy was 10 X better, altho Buddy rolled his ankle.
Hammer is my favourite ever bulldog.

Fight me.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are we a chance of getting Hamling back? Surely he’s gettable?

Still not sure how we weren’t all over Aliir Aliir last trade period. He’s about the Bevo KPD protype, perfect age and goes for a future 2nd rounder.

A massively missed opportunity there.

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are we a chance of getting Hamling back? Surely he’s gettable?

Still not sure how we weren’t all over Aliir Aliir last trade period. He’s about the Bevo KPD protype, perfect age and goes for a future 2nd rounder.

A massively missed opportunity there.
Agree. I put it out there last year we should target him - not the only one I might add. Watched a few Sydney games last year and could see the potential.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. I put it out there last year we should target him - not the only one I might add. Watched a few Sydney games last year and could see the potential.
Yeah he always showed that bit of promise and left in one role now, has really furnished.

I just don’t get it, we were desperately in need for pretty well the guy that becomes available.

Can’t imagine it being cash-related either.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I haven’t really seen Aliir Aliir lock anyone down this year, he still takes the 2nd or3rd best forward. That being said he would be good in our system.

Two major shoulder injuries isn't great. Perhaps "accident prone" is the better term. He's otherwise been pretty durable, but two major injuries in the space of 24 months does us no favours when he's our 2nd best KPD
Dunkley has also had both shoulders done now.
Fortunately if rehab is done right they are rock sold for years afterwards, unlike knees/hammies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back