Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs Rule

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
With how Bev values rucks, I think it could be a safe bet that we won’t pick anyone else up.

Sweet + Martin on the list as rucks.We may as well count Tim as a third because I doubt Bev will ever truly give up on that. Drafting Darcy who may be a ruck. O’Brien has had some ruck stints. He also has no qualms playing Hannan or Bont/Dunks in there.

I’m sure there was recognition that it’s a weakness, and that we tried to get someone that (importantly) Bev would actually play. Of course the ruck “coverage” I described above is a bit of a joke. Just wouldn’t surprise me if Bev thought it was plenty and would not want to use a list spot on another, and that Sweet got his deal perhaps only because our plans fell through.

I’m sure there may be one out there that might make us better in an area of clear need, but it’s all moot if Bev doesn’t rate them. See Trengove. Was a waste of time, money and a list spot in the end. I’m sure that outcome factored into Bev not ‘settling’ for just any ruck.

it’s just crazy to me that Bev would put his eggs in the Sweet basket when he was playing Young over him. Young was pretty ineffective and only served as fodder to take hits so Tim could ruck late in the game. Can they be truly confident that one preseason takes Sweet from where Bev rates him now, to being our first ruck? That’s worlds apart.

Makes me wonder if Tim is our first choice ruck next year. Assuming Martin is only available as much as he was (or less) this year, that is.

Next year we can move more freely in the trade period and probably successfully get a ruck then with more assets available. But it’s such a big risk, in our premiership window, to be hoping that one of English or Sweet suddenly becomes our great hope over one preseason.

Hope I’m wrong and we pick someone else up as another option/insurance. Would be out of character if we did though.
We just need a competitive ruck. Just give our mids a fighting chance.

Foxman98

Team Captain
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've already posted a number of times about the ruck situation, so my apologies for another - last one I promise (maybe!).

Couldn't agree more. If they hadn't said publicly it would look different then we may not like it but at least it wouldn't give fodder to us - and likely what passes for AFL "journalists" - to keep bringing it up. To effectively admit it's a glaring weakness and then appear to not address it is a fairly ordinary look for the club, no matter how difficult it is to actually get someone in who would make a difference.

It all feels a bit like gaslighting, which is obviously hyperbolic but it's in that ballpark. Feels like we were forced into a Sweet extension too because there was some interest (as others have said), so it's not like he was seen as our future ruck saviour.

Power, Bevo and the club in general have done many things to put the team in a position to succeed, and should continue to be lauded for that. There's not an assembly line of AFL standard rucks so it's not easy to address. But this is a significant blind spot, and there's a decent chance it has a negative effect on our season.
We were 16th for Avg H/O 14th for total H/O yet manged to be 1st for Clearances 4th avg Center Clearances (1st for total) im struggling to see why not getting a C grade ruckman makes us substantially worse off?

Foxman98

Team Captain
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With how Bev values rucks, I think it could be a safe bet that we won’t pick anyone else up.

Sweet + Martin on the list as rucks.We may as well count Tim as a third because I doubt Bev will ever truly give up on that. Drafting Darcy who may be a ruck. O’Brien has had some ruck stints. He also has no qualms playing Hannan or Bont/Dunks in there.

I’m sure there was recognition that it’s a weakness, and that we tried to get someone that (importantly) Bev would actually play. Of course the ruck “coverage” I described above is a bit of a joke. Just wouldn’t surprise me if Bev thought it was plenty and would not want to use a list spot on another, and that Sweet got his deal perhaps only because our plans fell through.

I’m sure there may be one out there that might make us better in an area of clear need, but it’s all moot if Bev doesn’t rate them. See Trengove. Was a waste of time, money and a list spot in the end. I’m sure that outcome factored into Bev not ‘settling’ for just any ruck.

it’s just crazy to me that Bev would put his eggs in the Sweet basket when he was playing Young over him. Young was pretty ineffective and only served as fodder to take hits so Tim could ruck late in the game. Can they be truly confident that one preseason takes Sweet from where Bev rates him now, to being our first ruck? That’s worlds apart.

Makes me wonder if Tim is our first choice ruck next year. Assuming Martin is only available as much as he was (or less) this year, that is.

Next year we can move more freely in the trade period and probably successfully get a ruck then with more assets available. But it’s such a big risk, in our premiership window, to be hoping that one of English or Sweet suddenly becomes our great hope over one preseason.

Hope I’m wrong and we pick someone else up as another option/insurance. Would be out of character if we did though.
Sweet didn't have the tank. He should've been played more in season especially when Stef was down and no VFL to develop. He will develop further with another preseason under his belt as well as more consistent game time

Dogs 13

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2003
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs
IN: Tim O’Brien (Hawthorn)

OUT: Patrick Lipinski (Collingwood), Lewis Young (Carlton)

PICKS: 23, 43, 44, 45, 52, 93

There was no last-minute Adam Treloar-like trade that consumed the Bulldogs in the final minutes of last year’s trade period. Early draft pick swaps garnered enough points to secure father-son pick Sam Darcy. This time around the Grand Final runners-up lost Patrick Lipinski and Lewis Young, both of whom were overlooked at crucial stages of the season, while bringing in Hawk Tim O’Brien. They managed to keep vice-captain Mitch Wallis (who has a new one-year deal) and Jordan Sweet (two seasons), the latter who attracted interest from a few rival clubs.

Expert Rating Glenn McFarlane 6.5 Avg Fan Rating 5

Meanwhile the Herald Sun's love affair with the Bombres continues, they did next to nothing, couldn't get a trade completed for Hill and get an 8 for bringing in Kelly !!

Essendon Bombers
IN: Jake Kelly (Ade)

OUT: None

PICKS: 11, 51, 56, 87

Improved its offer for Bobby Hill 48 hours from the deadline but were never going to sell the farm for him. A future-second-rounder for a forward who averaged nine possessions a game seemed about right, but GWS wasn’t interested. Still an excellent trade period as the Bombers snaffled underrated defender Jake Kelly for nothing. Watch the Bombers try to split pick 11 ahead of the draft.

Expert Rating Jay Clark 8 Avg Fan Rating 5.5

Foxman98

Team Captain
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs

There was no last-minute Adam Treloar-like trade that consumed the Bulldogs in the final minutes of last year’s trade period. Early draft pick swaps garnered enough points to secure father-son pick Sam Darcy. This time around the Grand Final runners-up lost Patrick Lipinski and Lewis Young, both of whom were overlooked at crucial stages of the season, while bringing in Hawk Tim O’Brien. They managed to keep vice-captain Mitch Wallis (who has a new one-year deal) and Jordan Sweet (two seasons), the latter who attracted interest from a few rival clubs.

Meanwhile the Herald Sun's love affair with the Bombres continues, they did next to nothing, couldn't get a trade completed for Hill and get an 8 for bringing in Kelly !!

Essendon Bombers

Improved its offer for Bobby Hill 48 hours from the deadline but were never going to sell the farm for him. A future-second-rounder for a forward who averaged nine possessions a game seemed about right, but GWS wasn’t interested. Still an excellent trade period as the Bombers snaffled underrated defender Jake Kelly for nothing. Watch the Bombers try to split pick 11 ahead of the draft.

Hey didn't you know Dodo cant lose trade period

TedDougChris

Premium Platinum
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Western Bulldogs

Essendon Bombers

A guy who couldn’t get a game for a team that finished in the bottom 4 is sure to be a big win !!!

Anja_Nees

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m very confident that Sweet knows EXACTLY what he needs to work on to be in the team. Hoping that his commitment to the club and the club’s commitment to him are good indicators that he can get there. My confidence in the people driving this club has never been higher.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty sure running out a game is the biggest part of it. Hopefully a big preseason gets him to the level. He’s 23 and has played a lot of VFL footy so he should have a fair bit of work behind him now.

Hobdog

Club Legend
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My opinion for what it’s worth. I think Sweet did well when he played this year and I think it’s fruitless trying to judge his development on the season just finished because the VFL was a right off and the continuity just wasn’t there for him and a lot of his team mates. Other clubs reportedly saw enough in him to enquire and the fact we’ve given him two years would suggest he’s rated highly internally. I’m guessing the guys available this trade period just didn’t offer enough of an improvement to warrant trading for them or the usual complexities were a limiting factor in getting it done. No point sitting here in October prophesying that the team will be weaker in 2022, because nobody knows that right now and all you do is subject yourself to unnecessary misery.

Fossie 32

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2002
1300GODOGS
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne..VICTORY, Leeds
It would be nice if people would give Lewy and Lipi a bit more credit and respect for at least pulling on the jumper and doing their best for the club.
Lewy was thrown into the ruck, obviously not a position he is used to and I think did as well or better than Timmy did and enabled us to play him as a forward which helped us win a game or two.

Foxman98

Team Captain
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It would be nice if people would give Lewy and Lipi a bit more credit and respect for at least pulling on the jumper and doing their best for the club.
Lewy was thrown into the ruck, obviously not a position he is used to and I think did as well or better than Timmy did and enabled us to play him as a forward which helped us win a game or two.
To say he did as well as or better than Tim did is laughable. They did what they needed for the club both have clear deficiencies and are at other clubs now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
On the Dogs website sounds like Power is saying time is now for Sweet at 24 and will get games.
Well, there's nobody else is there?
It's a huge call.

I don't think there will be much in the way of mature talent to consider in regards to our ruck stocks at the draft or rookie draft but I would like to see us look at a genuine pressure/crumbing small forward. I would not be surprised if we look at state leagues for that role. WA always seems to have a few available.

adogsfan5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam Reid yes please.

Fossie 32

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2002
1300GODOGS
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
My son did weight height for combine yesterday.
Was in the group with Sam Darcy height 206 cm weight 82k
He might end up 208-9cm
Bulldogs have him on a massive weight and cardio plan
Son also said he has massive arm span so he might end up the ruckman we want
Wasn't he only 75kg a week ago? He'll be massive by the start of the season!

ThePhreshOne

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Well, there's nobody else is there?
It's a huge call.

I don't think there will be much in the way of mature talent to consider in regards to our ruck stocks at the draft or rookie draft but I would like to see us look at a genuine pressure/crumbing small forward. I would not be surprised if we look at state leagues for that role. WA always seems to have a few available.
I know his output for goals wasn't amazing but we could do a lot worse than Gibbons who was delisted from Carlton. Nearly 3 tackles a game this year playing the small forward role.

Norm De Guerre

Left of the dial.
Mar 27, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Farnarkling XI
Pretty sure running out a game is the biggest part of it. Hopefully a big preseason gets him to the level. He’s 23 and has played a lot of VFL footy so he should have a fair bit of work behind him now.
The problem is that he played almost no football in the second half of the season.

Not an ideal base to build upon if he is to take the next step that we so desperately require him to make.

Anyways...Id still rather see Sweet run out of puff during a game than see Mason Cox in our side.

Foxman98

Team Captain
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Based on not addressing our needs, that are as clear as crystal whilst in our window.
So we didn't re-sign Sweet and Stef? There was no one available that fit our cap/trade requirements. The vast majority of our better players are 26 or younger we are entering our window now. The club is also very bullish on the development Sweet can acheive this year

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Wasn't he only 75kg a week ago? He'll be massive by the start of the season!
You could also read that post as being all about ummmbont's son with just a passing reference to Darcy! Can't wait for the commentary next year - "Dogs kick long to.... ummmmbont!" :)

Fossie 32

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2002
1300GODOGS
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
To say he did as well as or better than Tim did is laughable. They did what they needed for the club both have clear deficiencies and are at other clubs now
Quite a few of our players have 'clear deficiencies' along with their clear strengths. Have a look at Lewy's ruck stats.
Oliver Gigacz help :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad