Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

dergert

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Recruiters show their worth nailing late picks. We've been blessed in recent years with some good talent coming through (McNeil last year, Garcia and Butler in 2019).

I'm excited to see what Milesi can offer after a full year of recruiting.

Northernsoul74

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Recruiters show their worth nailing late picks. We've been blessed in recent years with some good talent coming through (McNeil last year, Garcia and Butler in 2019).

I'm excited to see what Milesi can offer after a full year of recruiting.
I think the jury is still out on Butler.

Virgin Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's interesting that GWS needs a tall player which bidding on Darcy makes the most sense.
But then to draft Callaghan over a tall is an odd move
To bid on Darcy, then select Callaghan without bidding on Daicos just seems counter-intuitive. Can only think it's for malicious reasons rather than respecting the integrity of the draft. Bid on Darcy all you like (he should be top 3-4), but not bidding on Daicos when he's in the frame for Pick 1 just makes them look like they're doing it to be petty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Leon Cameron is Sam Darcy's godfather as well.
Cameron was such a good little Bulldog but now he's a c#$nt

Bazza28

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2011
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To bid on Darcy, then select Callaghan without bidding on Daicos just seems counter-intuitive. Can only think it's for malicious reasons rather than respecting the integrity of the draft. Bid on Darcy all you like (he should be top 3-4), but not bidding on Daicos when he's in the frame for Pick 1 just makes them look like they're doing it to be petty
My guess would be they are not bidding on Daicos because of the trade they did with Collingwood last year for their first round pick which is pick 2.

weltschmerz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My guess would be they are not bidding on Daicos because of the trade they did with Collingwood last year for their first round pick which is pick 2.
Yeah, from what I've seen it's considered a dick move to bid on another club's player using a pick you got from them. I have no time for GWS, but it makes sense for them to bid on Darcy. He's the best tall in the field and Cameron knows him well and likes his character.

DognBones

Premiership Player
Sep 3, 2007
In a good place when we win
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only argument I could advance in explanation of GWS's behaviour is that they did flag some time ago that they were likely to select the best tall in the draft and I suppose they're sticking to their word. It's certainly a bonus for the Pies because until recently Daicos was always seen as the best player in the draft and to pick him up at Pick 3 is huge for them. We'll just have to grin and bear it and accumulate the most points we can when Pick 2 is called out.

weltschmerz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only argument I could advance in explanation of GWS's behaviour is that they did flag some time ago that they were likely to select the best tall in the draft and I suppose they're sticking to their word. It's certainly a bonus for the Pies because until recently Daicos was always seen as the best player in the draft and to pick him up at Pick 3 is huge for them. We'll just have to grin and bear it and accumulate the most points we can when Pick 2 is called out.
If we trade 23 for Geelong's 32 and 34 we'll be fine. Match at pick 2, keep pick 52 (which rolls up to 47 after we match given that a bunch of picks disappear), and pick 45 slides back. We can do some good things with picks 47 and 50-something.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The karma will come when some-wannabe-toughguys in orange try and rough up Darcy in a future final, as he tears them apart and goes on to play a standout grand final. Even with Patton, Shaw, Cameron and some of their ilk gone, that club seems to breed dead-sh1ts as the only productive achievement.

Regardless, Sam Darcy will be in RW&B next year and beyond, and hopefully a future Tassie team will come in and hurdle the Waste of Space and condemn them to permanent bottom(of the ladder) feeders status. (Not that the administratively-inept Suns are helping themselves when they have an opportunity with their current 'yoof' to out-perform the Waste as well.)

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
The karma will come when some-wannabe-toughguys in orange try and rough up Darcy in a future final, as he tears them apart and goes on to play a standout grand final. Even with Patton, Shaw, Cameron and some of their ilk gone, that club seems to breed dead-sh1ts as the only productive achievement.

Regardless, Sam Darcy will be in RW&B next year and beyond, and hopefully a future Tassie team will come in and hurdle the Waste of Space and condemn them to permanent bottom(of the ladder) feeders status. (Not that the administratively-inept Suns are helping themselves when they have an opportunity with their current 'yoof' to out-perform the Waste as well.)
Let's not forget Luke has four kids - no idea how Sienna, Willson or Max are tracking but just when the whining about Marra dies down, we take Sam, and when that whining dies down we'll take Jordan Croft and when that whining dies down we may have another Darcy kid on the radar.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Let's not forget Luke has four kids - no idea how Sienna, Willson or Max are tracking but just when the whining about Marra dies down, we take Sam, and when that whining dies down we'll take Jordan Croft and when that whining dies down we may have another Darcy kid on the radar.
So you're saying Sam is not even the best Darcy?! :D

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My memory is not what it was ( if it ever was) but didn’t GWS do Melbourne a favour in not bidding on Viney? If so that didn’t work out for them in terms of getting to a flag before the Dees. Not sure why any team would give a competitor a free hit. Unless the club values the Jim Stynes Club award above flags.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So you're saying Sam is not even the best Darcy?! :D
I'm not counting chickens yet, but we got the best kid in the draft last year, made the granny, then get a kid at pick 2 or 3 who may have a younger brother or two that is also draftable. Crofty is a beast of a kid too, same scout that picked Darcy out when he was barely on the radar saw Jordan at an underage game and thinks he's already bigger than his dad Crofty Snr.
It's a very fortunate time to be a bulldog.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
My memory is not what it was ( if it ever was) but didn’t GWS do Melbourne a favour in not bidding on Viney? If so that didn’t work out for them in terms of getting to a flag before the Dees. Not sure why any team would give a competitor a free hit. Unless the club values the Jim Stynes Club award above flags.
If they really want irony, they should take Mac Andrew who is a gun tall kid who was part of Melbourne's NGA. He'd be set for the Dees but the AFL shut the door on NGA kids going in the top 20 after our absolute daylight robbery last year getting Marra for a bunch of late picks on a one-year loophole of not needing free list spots to match picks used up in a bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad