Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
Keep in mind that many of our best players are out of contract next year and quite possibly we could lose one or two to other clubs' big offers. The loss/es would be compensated by a stronger hand in what is expected to be a strong draft.
JJ's $600k deal expires so there's some cash freed up.
2 x Baileys (Smith & Dale) will be due for decent paydays, and Tim English is another priority signature. I imagine Schache and Keath will stay.
Dunks and Daniel also need to be re-signed.

doggy_dog

All Australian
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope there’s a deal brewing to get GWS not to bid. It’s too grey to be draft tampering imo, just using the rules available to you. Adelaide bid on Marra last year because they knew it would give them a better chance of drafting Jimmy Rowe by knocking out our later picks, does that count as tampering?

Anyway we still come out massive winners even with a bid at 2.

Deadly Dunkley

Club Legend
Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
Knowing our luck, Jordan Croft (who I believe just sneaks into eligibility by a week or two) does a Darcy and goes from middle of the pack prospect to a first round prospect on the back of ridiculous early season form.
It would be worth it for the AFL community meltdown

Note: There's even an Eagleton next year, then another Darcy the year after
i could live with being suddenly forced to bid on pick 1 again 😂

Sentinel

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope there’s a deal brewing to get GWS not to bid. It’s too grey to be draft tampering imo, just using the rules available to you. Adelaide bid on Marra last year because they knew it would give them a better chance of drafting Jimmy Rowe by knocking out our later picks, does that count as tampering?

Anyway we still come out massive winners even with a bid at 2.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if it was you, but someone on here has suggested several times there should be no game limit (i.e. one game is enough) on father-son (as there now is for father-daughter for different reasons) to ensure the romance of the scenario. Lots of qualifications to that playing out, but not sure 100 is the perfect number.
100 games seems good to me. establishes them as a 5-6 year player at a club.

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My god some of you posters are absolute babies. Would you not do the same to gws as they’re doing to us? Far out.
It’s not the Darcy bid but the non Daicos bid that I don’t understand. The AFL is a cut throat competition and all clubs should do what they can not to give a rival a break. Why would GWS do it? If Pies beat Giants in a GF in a few years I will thoroughly enjoy laughing at the Giants stupidity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It’s not the Darcy bid but the non Daicos bid that I don’t understand. The AFL is a cut throat competition and all clubs should do what they can not to give a rival a break. Why would GWS do it? If Pies beat Giants in a GF in a few years I will thoroughly enjoy laughing at the Giants stupidity.
Big "if" I reckon personally. Their list is ageing, the quality coming in behind their early recruiting and recent departures is a level below, and they probably peaked in 2016 with 16 wins. Other clubs like us and Dees are younger and better, and are better coached, and other teams will rise and pass them. All those early draft gifts are history with no silverware to show. I think there may be, if not a cliff, a continuing trend down the ladder, from which that franchise does not have the people in place to rebuild. And I will enjoy the fall (fast or slow) immensely! :D

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Right, if they bid on Darcy at 2 and then Daicos at 3 then it'd just be them being spiteful by prioritising us but still making sure that Collingwood paid up as well. That they have made no indication of bidding on Daicos at all is what has me suspecting a backroom deal thanks to them getting Collingwood's first.

Hoges64

Premiership Player
May 20, 2014
Droop St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal!
...they probably peaked in 2016 with 16 wins. Other clubs like us and Dees are younger and better, and are better coached, and other teams will rise and pass them. All those early draft gifts are history with no silverware to show. I think there may be, if not a cliff, a continuing trend down the ladder, from which that franchise does not have the people in place to rebuild. And I will enjoy the fall (fast or slow) immensely! :D

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
If Collingwood even make the finals in the next few years I'll be surprised.
Genuine spoon chance next year, especially with Pendles slowing down and an injury cloud over Adams.

CaptainMurphy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because on some level they are just people, people who know each other and have to work with each other, not draft-value-optimizing robots. I fully expect the idea of bidding on Daicos with Collingwood's own pick 2 which was already a massive steal for them, and doing so for very very marginal gain, just doesn't seem necessary to GWS. And honestly I agree.

We're getting a pick 2 for pennies, let's just be happy ey.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Right, if they bid on Darcy at 2 and then Daicos at 3 then it'd just be them being spiteful by prioritising us but still making sure that Collingwood paid up as well. That they have made no indication of bidding on Daicos at all is what has me suspecting a backroom deal thanks to them getting Collingwood's first.
There's also the possibility that GWS are trying to strong arm us into doing a trade with them.
Maybe they want us to trade 23 for their future second and we would rather do a deal with someone else to avoid being bullied.

I don't think that professionals who's job it is to navigate this period for a club would do anything out of spite - it is purely about maximising the return for your club.

Adrian Caruso even worked for us before he went to GWS and probably doesn't even barrack for them.
It is really only fans who have this "screw everyone else" mentality.

Hoges64

Premiership Player
May 20, 2014
Droop St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal!
There's also the possibility that GWS are trying to strong arm us into doing a trade with them.
Maybe they want us to trade 23 for their future second and we would rather do a deal with someone else to avoid being bullied.

I don't think that professionals who's job it is to navigate this period for a club would do anything out of spite - it is purely about maximising the return for your club.

Adrian Caruso even worked for us before he went to GWS and probably doesn't even barrack for them.
It is really only fans who have this "screw everyone else" mentality.
Dodoro laughs at this suggestion.... ;)

Barking Mad

All Australian
Dec 2, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Worst kept secret and a yawn fest. GWS selecting player they rate highest after earlier stating it would be needs based. So bid on a giraffe then ignore best mid in draft and take another mid.
No matter he’s now ours.
If I was Power I would have met with Mummy’s manager and told them you’d be drafting him If Darcy went at 2 and you only hada late pick/picks.

Last edited:

bobs head soup

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So far this off season we have traded out 2 non best 22 players and traded in 1 player who looks like he will be best 22.

We have somehow turned pick 17 into picks 2 and 41 and simultaneously strengthened our 2022 hand (presuming we finish higher than Norf).

That's nuts and yet some posters seem underwhelmed by Sam's efforts. Sheesh

Bulldogs85

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So far this off season we have traded out 2 non best 22 players and traded in 1 player who looks like he will be best 22.

We have somehow turned pick 17 into picks 2 and 41 and simultaneously strengthened our 2022 hand (presuming we finish higher than Norf).

That's nuts and yet some posters seem underwhelmed by Sam's efforts. Sheesh
Give Sam power a 10 year contract extension he’s done well since he has been at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad